Friendship-ghan Square CAL...UPDATED IN POST 1

TurtleLvr

ooo can I tell you guys about my thrift store book finds? I am so excited but I don't know where to post it!

Tell us anything you want to!

Sue I could use an updated list when you get a chance to send one.

Sending now!

:turtle:vheart

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's great to see you back. I am glad you received the square. That's one I can remove from my MIA list.

Thank you! It's good to be back! :yes

Living with people who don't understand my craft makes it hard to work in peace... they call it an "old lady craft" I'm 26, not quite old yet... so having the 'ville as sort of a support group is great!

A few weeks ago I was helping my grandma clean out her garage and came home with 2 bags of :yarn I'm a happy camper :P

:hiGOOD MORNING!!!!!!!!!! Thought I'd pop in for a few and say hi to everyone.

I am looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and getting some more squares out!:woo

Hopefully this weekend, while I'm sitting in a cabin in the woods, I'll get some:hook done!

Hope you all have a great day:hug

Hello there ladies! It's been a while, I apologize... I think Sue passed on word that I'd moved, not that that's any excuse for not checking in (I've always had internet after all) but I've also been working A LOT... at my step-mom's gas station... where I worked 8 years ago right out of high school... oh and we live with my parents (depressing, right?) Anyway, I just wanted to thank the ladies who sent me squares (Sue, bgs, and a couple others but I'm not sure what I did with the cards and stuff that would have had your names on them atm)

I haven't been working on any projects, not because I've been working so much, but because it's been so dang hot I couldn't even stand looking at yarn, but it's cooled down a little bit, at least enough that I can hook at night or early morning, so here I am, hook in hand, about to watch The Bounty Hunter with hubby :)

Good to see some of our MIA members popping back in!!

Living with people who don't understand my craft makes it hard to work in peace... they call it an "old lady craft" I'm 26, not quite old yet... so having the 'ville as sort of a support group is great!

A few weeks ago I was helping my grandma clean out her garage and came home with 2 bags of :yarn I'm a happy camper :P

I know what you mean one of my Aunts saw my crochet status on FB and was like "What?! Are you turning into an old lady?". Whoever said you have to be a certain age or a certain sex to crochet? Plus I know alot more young ppl who crochet than older ppl. And that includes here on Cville :lol.

Okay here's my super awesome news. first: I love the thrift store. Rarely do I walk out of there empty handed. They've almost always got a really cool selection of crafts, most of it is vintage supplies and books.

Last week I got a German wool cutter. I don't even do latch hook, didn't know what it was until I got it home.. but I knew I neeeeded it. It looked cool, has the box, has the instructions. I love it. It's sitting in it's original box on a shelf next to my aminekos and some handmade baskets now haha

So today we stopped in again and yaaaaay. They had more booklets in the 20c box that I haven't seen before! I almost when squeeeee outloud. I got 6 booklets, all crochet. Edging, pot holders, chair cover things, doilies. Plus I got a German Bible too! I wasn't sure what it was, but it has a woman's name on it and the date 1933 embossed on it. So exciting. I am very very beginner in German, so I had to rely on Google to translate words I typed in. Wasn't very helpful, but it's so exciting. They let me have that for free because "it's so old!" hehe. I was gonna pay up to 2 bucks for it actually. Yay for me yay for free.

Plus I got a jar of buttons for 99 cents yay!

Okay it gets better though, as if this all wasn't awesome enough. I didn't actually look in the crochet booklets, I just saw they were crochet, old, and I knew I wanted them.

When I got home, I flipped through the pot holders and giggled at the one of the face. Then saw on another page the pattern for the vintage pot holder I got at the antique mall in July! I've been trying to find that pattern for a while, my mother in law thought maybe it was a custom pattern known only to the creator.. but then recently I saw more online where people found them at vintage shops. Same colors exactly as mine, so then I knew there's a book somewhere with it in it.

Then they also had some crochet thread, looked a bit gross to be honest. But, I think I now know what both the potholder in that photo, plus the other one that has sort of a brighter blue done mitered style is done up in. There was a sort of gross ball of JPCoates (sp?) thread, in the exact same blue I think.. it felt the same, looked the same.. now I need to find it to buy in the colors I want! I'm debating if I should go back this week and get that thread. Maybe I can wash it or something.

So now I'm all full of yay, talk about a great day hehehe

Now I'm off to go have a snack and prepare for a canning night. Gonna make cranana jam for the first time, and see if I have stuff to make chicken soup to can up too. I made concord jelly last night from the wild grapes that grow up the pine tree out back.

post-422-135897567551_thumb.jpg

post-422-135897567554_thumb.jpg

Okay here's my super awesome news. first: I love the thrift store. Rarely do I walk out of there empty handed. They've almost always got a really cool selection of crafts, most of it is vintage supplies and books.

Last week I got a German wool cutter. I don't even do latch hook, didn't know what it was until I got it home.. but I knew I neeeeded it. It looked cool, has the box, has the instructions. I love it. It's sitting in it's original box on a shelf next to my aminekos and some handmade baskets now haha

So today we stopped in again and yaaaaay. They had more booklets in the 20c box that I haven't seen before! I almost when squeeeee outloud. I got 6 booklets, all crochet. Edging, pot holders, chair cover things, doilies. Plus I got a German Bible too! I wasn't sure what it was, but it has a woman's name on it and the date 1933 embossed on it. So exciting. I am very very beginner in German, so I had to rely on Google to translate words I typed in. Wasn't very helpful, but it's so exciting. They let me have that for free because "it's so old!" hehe. I was gonna pay up to 2 bucks for it actually. Yay for me yay for free.

Plus I got a jar of buttons for 99 cents yay!

Okay it gets better though, as if this all wasn't awesome enough. I didn't actually look in the crochet booklets, I just saw they were crochet, old, and I knew I wanted them.

When I got home, I flipped through the pot holders and giggled at the one of the face. Then saw on another page the pattern for the vintage pot holder I got at the antique mall in July! I've been trying to find that pattern for a while, my mother in law thought maybe it was a custom pattern known only to the creator.. but then recently I saw more online where people found them at vintage shops. Same colors exactly as mine, so then I knew there's a book somewhere with it in it.

Then they also had some crochet thread, looked a bit gross to be honest. But, I think I now know what both the potholder in that photo, plus the other one that has sort of a brighter blue done mitered style is done up in. There was a sort of gross ball of JPCoates (sp?) thread, in the exact same blue I think.. it felt the same, looked the same.. now I need to find it to buy in the colors I want! I'm debating if I should go back this week and get that thread. Maybe I can wash it or something.

So now I'm all full of yay, talk about a great day hehehe

Now I'm off to go have a snack and prepare for a canning night. Gonna make cranana jam for the first time, and see if I have stuff to make chicken soup to can up too. I made concord jelly last night from the wild grapes that grow up the pine tree out back.

:cheer Great finds, that is really neat that you found the pattern you were looking for for that vintage potholder :cheer I love to go to thrift shops and yard sales :yes

I'm glad to see you online!! :D:clap

I totally understand about the old lady thing! I'm only 21 and I take projects into work sometimes and I hear all about it! Plus I have three cats that I adore so I get the crazy old crocheting cat lady.... :think They always think it's lame until you make something they like. Then it's like oooh how fast can you make that? or how much would you charge me for....? :lol

Hey guys I just talked to my sis and she wanted me to thank Brenda for the beautiful pink and grey square that she received. She would have said thank you sooner but with having to figure out what was going on with our mom it has been tough for her to get on here. Also she would have put pic up and a thank you herself but her phone is not working and so she can't take a pic atm.

well i think i'm back...not quite sure...i wanted to say thank you to all the ladies who have sent me squares as of august 17th. that was the last time i checked my mail box.

so turtlelvr...could you send me a list please...

Great finds Stacey!!!

Hey guys I just talked to my sis and she wanted me to thank Brenda for the beautiful pink and grey square that she received. She would have said thank you sooner but with having to figure out what was going on with our mom it has been tough for her to get on here. Also she would have put pic up and a thank you herself but her phone is not working and so she can't take a pic atm.

:hug

well i think i'm back...not quite sure...i wanted to say thank you to all the ladies who have sent me squares as of august 17th. that was the last time i checked my mail box.

I was worried about you!! I was afraid you had an accident or something. I'm glad you're okay! Sending it now.

Good Morning ladies,

I have received a few squares this summer and with the death of my husband, having to take over and run his business, then taken a much needed break the last ten days of August, I just haven't had the chance to post a Thank You to the ladies that sent me squares. I do appreciate them and they are going to make a beautiful blanket. Thank you so much!

Tracey

Good Morning ladies,

I have received a few squares this summer and with the death of my husband, having to take over and run his business, then taken a much needed break the last ten days of August, I just haven't had the chance to post a Thank You to the ladies that sent me squares. I do appreciate them and they are going to make a beautiful blanket. Thank you so much!

Tracey

:hug:hug:hug:hug:hug

Glad you're back ;)

:sun........ Goooooooooooooooood Morning all............

Well.. I had a great "pamper me" day yesterday!

got a manicure... found some yarn that I needed for a couple projects.... and grabbed a few groceries for this weeks dinners!

Well... I mailed off two packages yesterday and I have two more ready to take with me when I go get the boys from school! :yay

Little by little ... one at a time... I'm gonna get these things mailed! :D

:heart

:mug

Good Morning ladies,

Tracey

Tracey, I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you are going through! :hug :hug :hug

Thanks Heather, Sue....

One thing I learned from losing my husband is that one... the Credit Card companies close all of your joint credit cards immediately ( within two weeks of his death ), then they send them through to collections even if you have been paying the bills and are on time and in good standing. And Social Security treats you like dirt. My husband had filed for disability as he wasn't able to work since April of 09. We had hopes of him getting better and didn't file til November of last year. They told us they would retro it back to September if he qualified. We got approval in April, and he was suppose to receive a check on or by June 28th. He died June 12th. SS pulled the check and sent me forms on July 1st for me to fill out as I would receive his monies due. Well I got his check this week for 1070.00. That is all they feel I should get for his death and his disability. Of course I can appeal this, another headache but I have started the process.

Why am I telling all of you this, because I wouldn't want any other woman to go through what I have had to endure. First make sure you have credit cards in your name only. If your husband was a naturalized citizen as mine was, and he owns property in his home country, have your marriage and any children registered there as well. The Greek government doesn't recognize American Last Wills, American Marriages or Births. So my husbands properties are in limbo till I can prove everything. It has been a living nightmare. His funeral here cost $26,000.00 and he was young so we didn't have life insurance on him. He died from a type of Asbestos cancer, the attending Pulmonary doctor put on the death certificate that it was from smoking and he won't change it.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I am just so angry at men! Anyway, remember to protect yourselves, nobody is on your side but you. And may none of you go through what I have had to.

Tracey

Tell your sis she is welcome and I understand. :hug Thank you for letting me know she got it okay. I was a little paranoid to mail out another large batch since I had several ????? with the previous batch.

Glad you are back with us. Hope you make it in to visit with us more often now.

between the heat and my mood...haven't been really inspired to crochet much...

:hug:hug

Good Morning ladies,

Tracey

I am so sorry for your loss of your husband. I can't even begin to imagine all you have been going through. :hug:hug:hug I am glad you made it back here

Archived