Friendship-ghan Square CAL...UPDATED IN POST 1

TurtleLvr

Another here willing to help out where ever possible. I think we'll need to try and sort something out soon though because it would be a real shame to let this CAL fizzle out. I love it and I love connecting with all of you lovelies. :hug

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like plenty to share the load to get started! I can't help right now (moving both at work and my home) but if help is still needed come July, I can then!

kuddles

I would be happy to help in whatever way I am needed

What if we had say 4 or 5 people to co-host and a separate email address for all changes and updates to be sent to? Even if one gets PM'd to us, we can just email it there. Then the co-hosts would have the password and could alternate updating every week or two and at least make sure that they send it to each other. That way there would also be a team in case something comes up with one of the other co-hosts. Unfortunately I can't do the hosting every single week, but I would love to help out. :think Ideas?

I really love this CAL and I just found it and I am desperate to keep it going. I love it!! :manyheart

I can help cohost if that's what needs to be done. I can do it all pretty much from my phone (except post pics) and would be glad to help out. As soon as we figure out what's needed anyway. It is a lot of work for just one so I think this would be a good idea.

Another here willing to help out where ever possible. I think we'll need to try and sort something out soon though because it would be a real shame to let this CAL fizzle out. I love it and I love connecting with all of you lovelies. :hug

Sounds like plenty to share the load to get started! I can't help right now (moving both at work and my home) but if help is still needed come July, I can then!

kuddles

Well, i am totally amazed at all of you willing to help! I will try to work on some details, something like splitting the list for updating and emailing, maybe on an alphabet system, for instance, Those whose last names began with A through, I for example, would go on Helper co Host's One's list, Those with a last name starting with J through P, on helpers/co host 2's list, and those with a last name beginning with Q through Z on helper/cohost 3's list.

Each helper could then be responsible for their own list, and also each have a master list, in case of emerg. Course we would have to update our own range of people on our particular list, how often, would be discussed later, and would be then responsible for adding in newbies, and filtering out those that haven't checked in the thread for what, probably a month. We would have to rewrite some of the rules to reflect that not checking in this thread for over 30 days, may then put one at risk of being deleted from the list, without further notice. (this would eliminate the updating to maybe once a month minus adding newbies of course.)And hopefully eliminate some one sending sqaures out to someone that hasnt been on the thread for a long time, and maybe moved, or something. )

ALl helpers would have to follow the same rules and regs, and be consistant and dependable, making sure in thier absense, some other cohost would be contacked to manage their part of the list for that period, with emailng, updating and checkin in every few days at least, to see if there are newbies needing adding, or lists being requested. That way, at most each of the helpers?/co hosts, would have less names to keep up less updating, less emailing, all time consumers, I honestly don't know how Sue did it all for so long! Poor baby.....

Im thinking, the wheels are turning, and I don't know how to do it other than starting a new thread either, maybe Con't granny friendship ghan cal

ha ha. and then transferring all of us to it, as the first post may have to change a bit, and the list probabaly needs reworking a bit, and none of us can edit it. Sooooo much to work out, might be easier to just post the changes, and ask all to verify their info, and inform them all of the new thread starting..and a new list! Still working on solutions, and if you have good ideas, email me! Thanks for the great response, I think we can do this!! We'll work it out somehow or another! :hook katie .

Well, i am totally amazed at all of you willing to help! I will try to work on some details, something like splitting the list for updating and emailing, maybe on an alphabet system, for instance, Those whose last names began with A through, I for example, would go on Helper co Host's One's list, Those with a last name starting with J through P, on helpers/co host 2's list, and those with a last name beginning with Q through Z on helper/cohost 3's list.

Each helper could then be responsible for their own list, and also each have a master list, in case of emerg. Course we would have to update our own range of people on our particular list, how often, would be discussed later, and would be then responsible for adding in newbies, and filtering out those that haven't checked in the thread for what, probably a month. We would have to rewrite some of the rules to reflect that not checking in this thread for over 30 days, may then put one at risk of being deleted from the list, without further notice. (this would eliminate the updating to maybe once a month minus adding newbies of course.)And hopefully eliminate some one sending sqaures out to someone that hasnt been on the thread for a long time, and maybe moved, or something. )

ALl helpers would have to follow the same rules and regs, and be consistant and dependable, making sure in thier absense, some other cohost would be contacked to manage their part of the list for that period, with emailng, updating and checkin in every few days at least, to see if there are newbies needing adding, or lists being requested. That way, at most each of the helpers?/co hosts, would have less names to keep up less updating, less emailing, all time consumers, I honestly don't know how Sue did it all for so long! Poor baby.....

Im thinking, the wheels are turning, and I don't know how to do it other than starting a new thread either, maybe Con't granny friendship ghan cal

ha ha. and then transferring all of us to it, as the first post may have to change a bit, and the list probabaly needs reworking a bit, and none of us can edit it. Sooooo much to work out, might be easier to just post the changes, and ask all to verify their info, and inform them all of the new thread starting..and a new list! Still working on solutions, and if you have good ideas, email me! Thanks for the great response, I think we can do this!! We'll work it out somehow or another! :hook katie .

You have a lot of good ideas here. I have one question though. How will we handle those with limited internet acesss and they can't get here once a month? I'd hate to leave them out.

I would be happy to help out!

I had once thought that maybe it would be easier if other than using a master list. When the person wanted to make squares for someone to just pm them for their address. Would make updating the address list unnecessary. If the person does not pm the address back. Move along to the next person on the list.

That way we would only have to update the squares preference list.

Just an ideal. I would hate for Sue to come back, and her CAL to be different.

But this would eliminate having to start a new thread.

We would just update the first post for newbies and changes in wants and needs.

Whatever we do I am more than willing to cohost or whatever we will call it. Have a great day ladies

Kimgoodie

thank you Kimgoodie for the great square you sent!!!! :hug

How thoughtful to put my initial on there! [ATTACH]55277[/ATTACH]

I will try to work on some details, something like splitting the list for updating and emailing, maybe on an alphabet system, for instance, Those whose last names began with A through, I for example, would go on Helper co Host's One's list, Those with a last name starting with J through P, on helpers/co host 2's list, and those with a last name beginning with Q through Z on helper/cohost 3's list.

I really like the last name idea! That would make it a lot easier than switching off every few weeks or whatever.

ha ha. and then transferring all of us to it, as the first post may have to change a bit, and the list probabaly needs reworking a bit, and none of us can edit it. Sooooo much to work out, might be easier to just post the changes, and ask all to verify their info, and inform them all of the new thread starting..and a new list!

I really don't know how else to do it besides starting a new thread either... I mean, we could post all the info in post #___, but if we can't go back to edit the first post or the title of the thread, it won't do much good.

And the Excel spreadsheet that Sue did can be edited, you just have to enable the macro or whatever it's called... If you click on any cell and it tells you it can't be edited, there's a little box that pops up underneath the text box where you type that says enable editing. I don't know if it's just my version of excel (the newest starter version), but it works for me at work too and I can't even begin to tell you how old that purchased version of Excel is! :lol

Sign me up for helping! :hook I am all about keeping this thread alive!

Hi Ladies! I mailed out a puffy today! I hope we can get all the details worked out because I absolutely adore this CAL and the ladies in it! Seems like over the last week or so, it's been more active than normal.

Sue - Hope you and yours are all doing ok.

You have a lot of good ideas here. I have one question though. How will we handle those with limited internet acesss and they can't get here once a month? I'd hate to leave them out.

I would be happy to help out!

I had once thought that maybe it would be easier if other than using a master list. When the person wanted to make squares for someone to just pm them for their address. Would make updating the address list unnecessary. If the person does not pm the address back. Move along to the next person on the list.

That way we would only have to update the squares preference list.

Just an ideal. I would hate for Sue to come back, and her CAL to be different.

But this would eliminate having to start a new thread.

We would just update the first post for newbies and changes in wants and needs.

Whatever we do I am more than willing to cohost or whatever we will call it. Have a great day ladies

Kimgoodie

Hi Ladies! I mailed out a puffy today! I hope we can get all the details worked out because I absolutely adore this CAL and the ladies in it! Seems like over the last week or so, it's been more active than normal.

Sue - Hope you and yours are all doing ok.

Hi ladies! In regards to your question Nira, there isn't any real way to distinguish between someone that due to internet access does not get on once in 30 days, and someone that has just disappeared, or gone missing and moved or something, so I guess that would be a chance they take.

Kimgoodie, yes, I had thought of that as well, just pm'ing the one y ou want to send a square too, the only draw back to that, is that there would then be no surprises on whom is getting what from whom, and if we all decide maybe that is not a problem for the majority of us, that would be the way to go, less work on lists and such as well.

Abigal, glad to hear you are keeping the hooks busy, ha ha don't give up on this thread yet!!

What is the max. posts in a thread and are we nearly there? If so, what would be in the harm in starting a cont. thread anyway?

I like the idea of co-hosts being responsible for a particular bit of the alphabet. Breaks down the work and makes all the co-hosts responsible and involved. Takes the weight off one person. I have no idea how Sue did it on her own for so long. She really is a star.

In other news, thank you yarn_monkey for the square I received today! It's been a while since I received one so it was a lovely surprise! Thanks friend :hug

(Hmm... been trying to upload a pic but keeps failing. I'll keep trying)

I'm back...sort of. I have been thinking of dropping hosting this CAL for awhile. I started this 2 years ago and life just keeps getting busier. I'm going to have to let it go so I can focus on my work, volunteering and studies. I've had others offer to help me with no results from them so if you all want to start a new thread and change how the list is handled go for it! Anything I can do to help get it started I will do. :)

:turtle:vheart

Hi Sue! :hi

We're all getting behind you and trying to figure out how to move the CAL forward.

Take care of yourself :hug

Hello Sue! We are all thankful for the work you've done with this cal! I definitely understand that its aot of work for one person. I hope you find time to relax because you deserve it. So far I like everything katyallen has put forward and im willing to follo her lead.

On another note I am hoping to send out a few squares within the next few days. Hope everyone has a great day! :hug

In other news, thank you yarn_monkey for the square I received today! It's been a while since I received one so it was a lovely surprise! Thanks friend :hug

:eek:eek I can't believe you got it already!! :eek:eek

Although, granted, I've never sent anything overseas and honestly had no idea how long it would take. But it got there in 4 days!! I can't get things 2 states away that fast! :think I'm so glad you got it!!!! :hug

well Hi SUe, thanks for the note to let us know you are ok, first of all, and second of all, giving us the go ahead to renew this thread!

I would like everyone's opinion on starting a new thread and trasfering the info there, and having amy or donna close the old one, but putting a link to the new one, in the old one before they close it.

I am waiting to hear from the admins on when to do this, and if all is kosher with them, we will have a new thread very soon!! Im excited! I have been advised however, not to have a master list of addresses, but only of wants needs, sizes, and colors, and we would then email the recipient we chose to send a sqaure to first, if no answer, continue on to another name. This would eliminate the need for so much updating, and emailing, and also, skirt around the whole possibllity of someone coming back on the masterlist holder, for infringement of privacy. I know this would eliminate some of the surpise of it all but honestly , if a majority of us think that is not an issue, I think that would be the best option for all of us..

So thanks to Sue for everything, we all wish you well Sue, and appreciate the time and effort you have put into this CAL. We all have big shoes to fill here, and wish you only the best!

As for the rest of us, yay!! we may be able to keep this going a while longer!!!! I know lots of us want to continue!! Well I will post when I find out from the admins on this and hopefully, we will be moving soon, to a new thread!!!!!!! I hope someone brings the champagne and cavier!!!! ( ok, we are more of a chips and dip bunch huh, lol )

Hello Sue! We are all thankful for the work you've done with this cal! I definitely understand that its aot of work for one person. I hope you find time to relax because you deserve it. So far I like everything katyallen has put forward and im willing to follo her lead.

On another note I am hoping to send out a few squares within the next few days. Hope everyone has a great day! :hug

Thanks NIra, i do appreciate the encouragement, Ive never done this before, so learning is the fun part!!

Hi Sue! :hi

We're all getting behind you and trying to figure out how to move the CAL forward.

Take care of yourself :hug

Yay, we have a road to travel now, just be patient!!

Hi Sue!

I wish I could take over for you but as you know, I am up to my eye balls right now!

Hope we can get this resolved!

kuddles

Think Positive!! We are getting this resolved!!

I'm back...sort of. I have been thinking of dropping hosting this CAL for awhile. I started this 2 years ago and life just keeps getting busier. I'm going to have to let it go so I can focus on my work, volunteering and studies. I've had others offer to help me with no results from them so if you all want to start a new thread and change how the list is handled go for it! Anything I can do to help get it started I will do. :)

:turtle:vheart

Oh sue, you gave so much for so long, we truly and sincerely thank you for all you have given!

What is the max. posts in a thread and are we nearly there? If so, what would be in the harm in starting a cont. thread anyway?

I like the idea of co-hosts being responsible for a particular bit of the alphabet. Breaks down the work and makes all the co-hosts responsible and involved. Takes the weight off one person. I have no idea how Sue did it on her own for so long. She really is a star.

(Hmm... been trying to upload a pic but keeps failing. I'll keep trying)

We're gonna do it! See previous post above for info!!:hug

well Hi SUe, thanks for the note to let us know you are ok, first of all, and second of all, giving us the go ahead to renew this thread!

I would like everyone's opinion on starting a new thread and trasfering the info there, and having amy or donna close the old one, but putting a link to the new one, in the old one before they close it.

I am waiting to hear from the admins on when to do this, and if all is kosher with them, we will have a new thread very soon!! Im excited! I have been advised however, not to have a master list of addresses, but only of wants needs, sizes, and colors, and we would then email the recipient we chose to send a sqaure to first, if no answer, continue on to another name. This would eliminate the need for so much updating, and emailing, and also, skirt around the whole possibllity of someone coming back on the masterlist holder, for infringement of privacy. I know this would eliminate some of the surpise of it all but honestly , if a majority of us think that is not an issue, I think that would be the best option for all of us..

So thanks to Sue for everything, we all wish you well Sue, and appreciate the time and effort you have put into this CAL. We all have big shoes to fill here, and wish you only the best!

As for the rest of us, yay!! we may be able to keep this going a while longer!!!! I know lots of us want to continue!! Well I will post when I find out from the admins on this and hopefully, we will be moving soon, to a new thread!!!!!!! I hope someone brings the champagne and cavier!!!! ( ok, we are more of a chips and dip bunch huh, lol )

YAY!!! Glad to see it isn't going to end!!!!:cheer

:2magic

Good to hear my idea will really work...I will help in any way...Thanks Katy

Thank you! I struggled with the decision to eliminate the address list, and your comment cinched it up for me, and if no one objects too strongly, ha ha, we will do it that way! Im excited to be doing this,and grateful for all of you supporting it as well! Thank you!

On to other matters, I am writing up a new thread today, and then will contact Admin to close old thread with notice of where we moved. She was a lot of help and will do what she can to make this go smoothly.

I will need however, a compilation list to post in the first post of thread, on who needs what, color size yarn or cotton, etc, everything that we have listed already on Sue's list, but want to update it so iI will copy and paste the old list, and then when posted I will ask for your wants and needs regarding sqaures again, just to update,or at least for you to review individually your info is correct and still what you want. and we'll go from there!

I realize the element of surprise will then diminish as we are to contact either by email, or pm, the party to whom we intend to mail a square to, but look at it this way, they will still be surprised when they get your pm or email, and be looking for it to arrive!

Most of the rules will stay the same, eliminating of course several needs for the a list to be updated, and emailed. If this does not prove to be advantageous or agreeable after say a trial period, we'll probably end up going back to a list of some sort, but I say, lets give this way a good try first..

This will also eliminate much of the time spent that Sue was a saint to do all by herself! It also will help with those that have not been active for more than 30 days, as we will then know if no response to our email, or pm, simply move on to another name. No one will have to be crossed off, or anything, simply try them again at a later date!

Thanks really to everyone here, and to those that offered help, and I know if the need arises, there are a lot of you out there willing to pitch in! This is a new thing for me, I will do my best to keep it going, with all of your continuing support! thanks!

Notice of new thread will be posted here, after I write it out and enter it! I will post the old wants and colors list and we will amend it as necessary, as the verifications from you all, come in! thank you all, really, such a wonderful collection of people here on this thread! and on the ville, in general!

Guess thats it, look for the new thread soon! Till then see ya there!!!!!!!!! :ghug

katie.

Hi again, ok, new thread is online! Posting link here, tell all you know to move on over, as this thread will soon be closed by admin! Thanks all, don't forget to update your info as noted on opening post of new thread!! Thanks, hope to see you all there soon!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138944

Archived