Captain Hook & the Yarn Pirates

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now Judy

Would I try to talk you into joining up to another CAL ? Of course not .

Not my fault if our ship goes off course a little when we are done here, and it runs aground over at the Flannelghan Island .

( By the way, I DID find one over there done in multi-colors, very pretty, as they ALL are.)

Ok Julie if you are going to use two strands of ww on size 8's you would CO 122 sts and work the same exact way as in the pattern and work for 25 rows then switch the squares around and instead of doing the 9 repeats (I think thats what it said to do) you would do 13.

Ok and as for doing one strand of WW on size 8's you would need to CO 134 sts then work like: k23,p22,k22,p22,k22,p23 and continue working for 29 rows and switch up the squares and work 12 repeats

The blankets won't be exactly the same size but with edging of some sorts you should be able to get it the same size or bigger.

HTH if not let me know and I will try to make more sense of it

Darn it to th' depths those 'o ye speakin' 'o flannelghans!!! Now me DH and BIL be wantin' one......:eek. I see a lot 'o yarn in me future an' a walk of th' plank if I don't get to workin' on 'em! :scared Off to th' infirmary with me to plan me attack on th' flannelghans :hook

Thanks for trying to help me figure out the number of a starting size for the knit square pattern. I would probably use just ww yarn and an 8 circular needle, since it's the only size I have of those .

You guys are just about convincing me to head to the flannelghan area when done here. I'd love to see the brown and green one -- do you have a photo of it , LeaAnne ? Green is my favorite color and that green heather sounds so pretty . What type yarn did you use for it ?

And the team color idea is great if you have kids in sports -it'd be great for sitting out at a football game. I bet they are really super-warm .

:yes I have pics in my photobucket. (link @ end of my siggy)

The green was Bernat in a big ball, worsted weight. 1 pound per ball. I had grabbed it on a clearance at Joanne's, because it was the wrong season:grin

Darn it to th' depths those 'o ye speakin' 'o flannelghans!!! Now me DH and BIL be wantin' one......:eek. I see a lot 'o yarn in me future an' a walk of th' plank if I don't get to workin' on 'em! :scared Off to th' infirmary with me to plan me attack on th' flannelghans :hook

:rofl!

I wasn't meanin' to be causin a bunch o' trouble. I jes can't help ravin' about that beauty of a 'ghan! You'd be findin me talkin it up all over the country-side! That RoseRed, she's a fine designer, she is:yes

Besides, a bit of enabling on occasion does me heart good!:lol:devil

Oh, so back to the task at hand:blush... 1 more square done:devil, off to swab the decks!

Welcome! Don't worry about catching up: I'm planning on a huge ghan so I need 90 squares:lol

quote]

90 squares????? For the love of Neptune, that's a lot of squares. LOL :hook

It's to cover my king size bed so when our youngest GSD jumps on it with his huge dirty paws I don't have to try and wash the comforter!

Now Judy

Would I try to talk you into joining up to another CAL ? Of course not .

Not my fault if our ship goes off course a little when we are done here, and it runs aground over at the Flannelghan Island .

( By the way, I DID find one over there done in multi-colors, very pretty, as they ALL are.)

I have to look over there again...haven't visited for a while:devil

It's to cover my king size bed so when our youngest GSD jumps on it with his huge dirty paws I don't have to try and wash the comforter!

Judieanne, I will be the first to encourage you on your 90 squares. You're a better woman than me, taking that on. :nworthy:nworthy

Jenni

Thank you for figuring that out for me. I am writing it down as a reference so I know how to start with the different yarn and needles .

You guys are a whiz at this stuff ! I never could make out a pattern for myself, knit or even crochet. I have no clue how to do that,so if I have no pattern to follow, i'm sunk .

Now my next problem : Whether to make a flannelghan ortry this knitted afghan next in line ?

Decisions, decisions.....

Judieanne, I will be the first to encourage you on your 90 squares. You're a better woman than me, taking that on. :nworthy:nworthy

It helps that I'm leaving long tails for joining them together:lol

Jenni

Thank you for figuring that out for me. I am writing it down as a reference so I know how to start with the different yarn and needles .

You guys are a whiz at this stuff ! I never could make out a pattern for myself, knit or even crochet. I have no clue how to do that,so if I have no pattern to follow, i'm sunk .

Now my next problem : Whether to make a flannelghan ortry this knitted afghan next in line ?

Depends on if you want a mindless project or not, I would think.

Oh boy, LeaAnne-

That black and blue one caught my eye. how pretty !

and the rail fence quilt-ghan ! Wow, I never saw one like that made with the different pattern strips. You sure have the talent !

( I like how you "volunteered " to go swab the decks -- you got all my pirates riled over them flannelghans, now you take off to go scrubbin so you don't have to mop up the mutiny .... lol

This is a pic of what I have so far.

I have made my stips only 5 squares long so far. I want to see how it looks at that size ... and if its not big enough.. I can simply add on.

[ATTACH]16037[/ATTACH]

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love visitors! :U

yes... the "Hip to be Square" afghan is knit... and pattern can be found here!

I finished it and I'm really pleased how it came out!

[ATTACH]16038[/ATTACH]

back to me flannel'ghan.......... arrr

:heart

:mug

I've queued the Hip to Be Square. I love the red and white throw. I have trouble working with a P hook. Do you know if they make long handled ones?

Jenni

Oh your very welcome. I usually have to do that kinda stuff for me anyways cause I am just too darn cheap to go out and buy another circula *I have two size 8 and one size 10

Me personally I would love to do the flannelghan and was honestly thinking about it but it would have to be one like the multicolor one cause I don't have enough yarn of two colors to do just a two color one. Besides I want to get this blankie done first or fiancee will pick on me :blush

I've queued the Hip to Be Square. I love the red and white throw. I have trouble working with a P hook. Do you know if they make long handled ones?

I have a long handled wooden P hook...have no idea where or when I got it - it's possibly an afghan hook because of the length.

Jenni

Well, if you aren't the knitting queen ! WOW,that baby set is gorgeous !!!! Now THAT took some talent, my little friend .

And JUDE -- go check out the baby blanket with the name on it -- looks like a project you'd like to do !!!

I looked...beautiful work...esp the one with the name on it:c9

I'm closing for tonight...going to get some more rows done on my knitting.

I updated the number of squares I've done (under "First Mate" in my siggy).

See everyone tomorrow.:hug

I've been envisioning a flannelghan in baby size, maybe after this blanket is finished.

I've had a headache all day, and haven't done a thing to speak of, a few minutes f crocheting here and there is pretty much it.

I'm going to go to bed early, and hopefully it will be gone in the morning.

Good night everyone.

Jenni

Well, if you aren't the knitting queen ! WOW,that baby set is gorgeous !!!! Now THAT took some talent, my little friend .

And JUDE -- go check out the baby blanket with the name on it -- looks like a project you'd like to do !!!

LOL thank you! And to think I taught myself and only about a year and a half ago :yes

I have a long handled wooden P hook...have no idea where or when I got it - it's possibly an afghan hook because of the length.

I looked...beautiful work...esp the one with the name on it:c9

Thank you also :D

I've been envisioning a flannelghan in baby size, maybe after this blanket is finished.

I've had a headache all day, and haven't done a thing to speak of, a few minutes f crocheting here and there is pretty much it.

I'm going to go to bed early, and hopefully it will be gone in the morning.

Good night everyone.

I hope your head starts to feel better soon. Good night.

Ok well I have now officially decided to join in on the flannelghan fun but I am going to do the multi colored thing. And I have quit :hook ing for tonight cause my wrist is starting to bother me...tendinitous sucks when you love doing things like crocheting and knitting. I managed to finish up the hdc squares today and do all but one of the dc squares, in total I did 10 squares today which puts me at 22/30 squares. Ohhh and I just got an awesome idea for the baby (as long as its a girl) a flannelghan...in lilac and black (the only colors I have a ton of on hand) and if its not a girl then the blanket can be donated. Ok off to go searching through the meager stash for hook and yarn and take a break for about 1/2 hour and maybe just start a new blankie :hook

This is a pic of what I have so far.

I have made my stips only 5 squares long so far. I want to see how it looks at that size ... and if its not big enough.. I can simply add on.

[ATTACH]16037[/ATTACH]

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love visitors! :U

yes... the "Hip to be Square" afghan is knit... and pattern can be found here!

I finished it and I'm really pleased how it came out!

[ATTACH]16038[/ATTACH]

back to me flannel'ghan.......... arrr

Jumping in to let Tammy know that her"Hip To Be Square" turned out great...Love it Tam :hugCant wait to get back to mine!!

Okay so three stores later I have the other two colours for my 'ghan. Started at Michaels and they didn't have the yarn I wanted or more of the yarn I'm using, WalMart had the teal I'm using if I need more of that but not the purple, JoAnn's had the colours I wanted but neither of the ones I'm currently using. So I'm using Red Heart SS Real Teal and Amethyst, and Vanna's Choice Antique Rose and Silver Grey. Now back to work.:hook

:yes the flannelghan is me favorit-est pattern! :clap

I have made:

warm brown/olive green heather

royal blue/black

black/orange

Navy/grey heather

these are my planned combos for the gifts:

plum/lime

beige/white

pink/lt.pink

teal/brown

plum/teal

black/cream

another black/orange

Navy/white

The beauty is that the possibilities truly are endless. i like the idea of doing them in team colors for sports fans.

If I set me mind to it, I can do one in about 3-4 days.

Tam... I :manyheart:manyheart the very valentine-y look of the red/white. Very nice! How big is each 'box' coming out for you?

I love all your color selections!!

Thanks for the compliment!!!

My squares are coming out 10x11 ... double strand... N hook

wow, those are really nice. Your dh will be so thrilled with his valentine gift!

aww.... thanks!!!

Beautiful pics!!!:cheer:cheer

Maybe by next winter I can find 3 pounds and 2 pounds of yarn after using up some of my very disorganized stash and finally get a flannelghan made...:hook

Thank you!

Oh... you'll have to! I'm really enjoying this afghan so far.

Thanks for trying to help me figure out the number of a starting size for the knit square pattern. I would probably use just ww yarn and an 8 circular needle, since it's the only size I have of those .

You guys are just about convincing me to head to the flannelghan area when done here. I'd love to see the brown and green one -- do you have a photo of it , LeaAnne ? Green is my favorite color and that green heather sounds so pretty . What type yarn did you use for it ?

And the team color idea is great if you have kids in sports -it'd be great for sitting out at a football game. I bet they are really super-warm .

go.....go.......go into Flannel'ghan land........go............

Well, that does it. Now I'm just going to HAVE to make a flannel-ghan. The red and white combination is just beautiful !! Thanks for sharing your picture.

thanks hon!

I'm really liking how its coming along too!!!

Oh the enabling going on! Now a flannelghan is on my must-do list!

:yay more Flannel'ghans :yay LOL

Ok Julie if you are going to use two strands of ww on size 8's you would CO 122 sts and work the same exact way as in the pattern and work for 25 rows then switch the squares around and instead of doing the 9 repeats (I think thats what it said to do) you would do 13.

Ok and as for doing one strand of WW on size 8's you would need to CO 134 sts then work like: k23,p22,k22,p22,k22,p23 and continue working for 29 rows and switch up the squares and work 12 repeats

The blankets won't be exactly the same size but with edging of some sorts you should be able to get it the same size or bigger.

HTH if not let me know and I will try to make more sense of it

Bless you!

I was thinking the same thing about doing a swatch to figure it out!

This is great... thanks for helping out!:hug

Arrrrrrrrrrr............ you be needin' to get out t' yarn and "hook" now t' get er' flannel'ghan goin'. They be addictive I tells ya!

The "Hip to be Square" afghan is really easy and fun to make! you'll be happy you queued it!

Thanks for the compliment!! I'm using an N hook for mine. Dont know of a longer P hook.............hmmm.:think

I wasn't meanin' to be causin a bunch o' trouble. I jes can't help ravin' about that beauty of a 'ghan! You'd be findin me talkin it up all over the country-side! That RoseRed, she's a fine designer, she is:yes

Besides, a bit of enabling on occasion does me heart good!:lol:devil

Oh, so back to the task at hand:blush... 1 more square done:devil, off to swab the decks!

:lol We'll all be workin' more afghans than we can count all at once!

Jenni

What do you mean which one first... I say do both NOW! LOL

knit on the one till you have a set of blocks done... then work on a strip of flannel'ghan till you get a set of blocks done. Go back and forth and you'll have two done at once.........:D

Archived