Captain Hook & the Yarn Pirates

JulieKay

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahoy Mateys!

Ive just made it back from a long and boring sail through marketing and business concepts...still havent got to plunder any yarn colors thio since the dang sea maked me sea sick with ta strep throat! Be bees also workin' on the Tree o Life CAL so me ship is full. Iz be hopin to get started by sundown... arrrghhh!

Sounds like you have a full boatload of stuff going on: strep and the Tree of Life ghan (which I talked myself out of doing:lol)

Ahoy Maties! I saw ya sailing by and was wantin to join! I'll have to work fast to catch up or ya may have me a walking the plank!

Welcome! Don't worry about catching up: I'm planning on a huge ghan so I need 90 squares:lol

What colors are you going to use? I;m using up some of my stash...of which there's a ton!

Afternoon all! I have done 3 1/2 squares so far today but my stomach is not helping matters...I'm starving but my stomach is upset. So needless to say if I can just sit down and still for long enough I can have all the hdc squares finished and then I will move onto the dc squares. I'm hoping to get this blanket done by this weekend, seens how this is the weekend that finace works so I will have nothing to do but crochet. Ok off to try to finish the square and possible lay down and hope that helps.

Judianne - thanks for the welcome!

I'll be using up my stash - a combination of blues and grey on this one. Plan to start this evening!

That's a great combo of colors!! :cheer

Jennie - do you have any ginger ale in the house? Or peppermint candies or peppermint tea?

Feel better:hug:manyheart

That's a great combo of colors!! :cheer

Jennie - do you have any ginger ale in the house? Or peppermint candies or peppermint tea?

Feel better:hug:manyheart

I do have ginger ale and didn't even think about it :blush It's the baby brain it makes me forget. I think I will try that :hug Your so smart :D

I do have ginger ale and didn't even think about it :blush It's the baby brain it makes me forget. I think I will try that :hug Your so smart :D

Not smart...just a lot older and experienced:lol:lol:lol

afternoon, me harties!

I got 1 more square done so far today. I have quite a bit going on, so probably will only manage to squeak out 1... leaving me with 2 sc squares left to do.

For those of ye who might be thinkin on one o dem flannelghans... me couldn't be thinkin of enuf ta say 'bout them!

they work up quick, and are Sooooo warm! I have made 4 so far, and plan to make everyone in my family one for Christmas this year (8 of them!).

As far as color choices go... pick whatever you've got 3 pounds of for 1 color, and 2 pounds for the other. Grab a P hook, and have fun!

I better be runnin along... but me hopes that ye all are havin the best day ye could be wishin fer!:D

Hey Tam

Do you have any photos of your lumber-ghan yet ? I just visited your web page or blog. I'm not sure what the difference is, or if they mean the same thing. I don't have one ,so I don't know much about them .

I noticed you knit afghan in progress. That is nice work ! Is that pattern online someplace or from elsewhere ?

And also, your yoyo square is really cute !

This is a pic of what I have so far.

I have made my stips only 5 squares long so far. I want to see how it looks at that size ... and if its not big enough.. I can simply add on.

post-18634-135897501523_thumb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love visitors! :U

yes... the "Hip to be Square" afghan is knit... and pattern can be found here!

I finished it and I'm really pleased how it came out!

post-18634-135897501531_thumb.jpg

back to me flannel'ghan.......... arrr

:heart

:mug

Hey gang,

Just a checkin . To those not feeling well, I hope you feel better as the day goes on .

To those that are feeling far behind on squares, it's fine to go at any rate that suits you. I know this is an easy pattern, but the squares do take awhile, especially the sc ones... since they need more rows to make them the right size ,but it's ok if it takes you ahile and can only do a little at a time ,especially if you are working on other projects too .

I just started on one of the hdc ones,since I was trying to do all the sc ones first, but have 6 of them done and need to try a different stitch for awhile .

Pandrus -Welcome along for the ride ! Always good to see new people !

Wow, LeaAnne, you have sure been busy making all the flannel-ghans . What colors were yours in ?

Tam - the red & white is really pretty ! And thanks for showing me how to find the knit afghan. It looks really cute . I am wondering if I'd use a smaller needle size, how would you know how many more stitches to cast on ? (Like an 8 ... ) Do you go by tens would you think ?

I am just learning to knit and have no idea at all how to change the starting number on a knitted project .

Wow, LeaAnne, you have sure been busy making all the flannel-ghans . What colors were yours in ?

Tam - the red & white is really pretty ! And thanks for showing me how to find the knit afghan. It looks really cute . I am wondering if I'd use a smaller needle size, how would you know how many more stitches to cast on ? (Like an 8 ... ) Do you go by tens would you think ?

I am just learning to knit and have no idea at all how to change the starting number on a knitted project .

you know hon...... I not real sure with that much fo a change in size... you would have to change both ways.... stitches and rows. hmmmm :think

I'd have to give some thought to working that!

Each square would need to be more stitches to keep them the same size originally... and be more rows higher... or.............. you could just cast on more to make more 'smaller' squares. :think Still thinking!

gotta run and get my midgets!

if someone else doesnt help answer this for you... I'll help you figure it out! :D

I might be able to help you but first would you be using chunky yarn or ww yarn just one strand or ww yarn two strands? I am looking at the pattern right now BRB with an answer maybe. I think I need to do a gauge swatch to help you just got to know what you plan on doing as far as yarn sweetie.

:yes the flannelghan is me favorit-est pattern! :clap

I have made:

warm brown/olive green heather

royal blue/black

black/orange

Navy/grey heather

these are my planned combos for the gifts:

plum/lime

beige/white

pink/lt.pink

teal/brown

plum/teal

black/cream

another black/orange

Navy/white

The beauty is that the possibilities truly are endless. i like the idea of doing them in team colors for sports fans.

If I set me mind to it, I can do one in about 3-4 days.

Tam... I :manyheart:manyheart the very valentine-y look of the red/white. Very nice! How big is each 'box' coming out for you?

I have made my stips only 5 squares long so far. I want to see how it looks at that size ... and if its not big enough.. I can simply add on.

[ATTACH]16037[/ATTACH]

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love visitors! :U

yes... the "Hip to be Square" afghan is knit... and pattern can be found here!

I finished it and I'm really pleased how it came out!

[ATTACH]16038[/ATTACH]

back to me flannel'ghan.......... arrr

wow, those are really nice. Your dh will be so thrilled with his valentine gift!

Beautiful pics!!!:cheer:cheer

Maybe by next winter I can find 3 pounds and 2 pounds of yarn after using up some of my very disorganized stash and finally get a flannelghan made...:hook

Thanks for trying to help me figure out the number of a starting size for the knit square pattern. I would probably use just ww yarn and an 8 circular needle, since it's the only size I have of those .

You guys are just about convincing me to head to the flannelghan area when done here. I'd love to see the brown and green one -- do you have a photo of it , LeaAnne ? Green is my favorite color and that green heather sounds so pretty . What type yarn did you use for it ?

And the team color idea is great if you have kids in sports -it'd be great for sitting out at a football game. I bet they are really super-warm .

Judy-

I wonder how one would look if you used several colors ? Would it loose the "effect" of flannel cloth, or would it just make it really colorful ?

Colorful:D...as long as the second color was a single shade of a neutral I think it would look good.

Are you trying to enable me?:rofl:rofl:rofl

[ATTACH]16037[/ATTACH]

Well, that does it. Now I'm just going to HAVE to make a flannel-ghan. The red and white combination is just beautiful !! Thanks for sharing your picture.

Archived