Finding Crochet Groups

I am having a devil of a time finding a local crochet group. I want to join a group that meets monthly and crochets with lots of group projects for charity. Not only have I not found something that specific, I've yet to find a crochet group :(

Other than calling stores and looking on the internet, how should I go about finding a crochet group?

It has gotten frustrating enough that I'm considering starting one of my own LOL I just wish I had the time ....

help please

cris

Check things like Yahoo Groups / Google Groups to see if someone already has one.

The CGOA website lists local chapters. The national conference was in Chicago one year, so I suspect Chicago has local groups.

I'm not sure how active people are on Meetme any more. At one time Meetme was free for creating groups to meet. Then it went to a small fee.

Our local libraries have meeting rooms that are used for crochet groups. These aren't published anywhere, you have to ask.

Hi,

Check out your local church. A lot of churches have groups that meet at various times. It's a good resource.

Also, libraries also host crochet/knitting groups.

Have you checked with the local chamber of commerce? They may be able to hook you up with a group, or a church that has a group.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Thanks! I've searched online like a maniac and have found nothing - I did find 6 gals on meetup that are interested in joining a group, but creating one must not be there bag.

I did see that there was a knitting group at the library so I'll give them a call and find out if there is a crochet group. The knitting group seemed to be more of a teaching thing (of course, I could do that too... being taught knitting, that is. LOL)

I'm in the Springfield area so I think that is a major downer to finding a group. Not a whole lot goes on here :(

edit: Just checked for CGOA chapter... Three listed in Illinois, none here :(

If you have several other people in your area that are interested in forming a group, then all you have to do is pick a time and place and start meeting. You don't have to do anything formal. I forget how Meetup works, can you contact the people you found there?

You might have to decide which goal is most dearest to your heart for the time being: A crochet group or a group of stitchers devoted to charity work. Definately check with various churches to see if they have such either of those groups in progress, and go from there. If the focus of a group is to do good works, they're not as likely to worry over which craft is the focal point, ie knit/sew/crochet=Fine and dandy..bring it on! Starting your own group is a good option, and takes less time than you'd think. If you're involved in a church, that's one good place to start right there...just ask around. If you start by saying 'only crocheters', you automatically rule out the knitters and seamstresses who might otherwise join you and provide wonderful support and fellowship. I'm just sayin, because I was in this place last year when I wanted to find the same sort of group. We met for about 8 months, then stopped for Christmas and have yet to pick back up. We're mostly crocheters, but anyone's welcome. I just wish I could get more people involved..particularly for charitable work..but I figure that's God's work as much as mine, and I'll let him take care of it. Who knows!

If you go to the Lion Brand web site then communities then knit and crochet clubs. You can put in your zip code and it will come up with a list in the certain mile radius you have listed.

I was very lucky here where I live. DH found a meet up group that was both Knitting and Crocheting. Mind you I am in the minority at all the functions, but they welcomed me with open arms. :hug There are a couple of the ladies that crochet and knit. We found a wonderful group of all ages, and my DH is not the only man. :hook

have you checked with your local yarn store? There are several here in the middle of nowhere, there is even a knit (and crochet) in the park in the summer.

• 1 year later...

check with your local library events or town papers, you sometimes can find listings that way. another way you can can is bringing your projects with you to panera bread or bookstore sit and craft while your there and thats another good way to meet people or other folks to meet you vice versa

I found a group thru Ravelry. They are 99.9% knitters (yes, I am the .1% crocheter). They meet up at the local bread store. The owner of the bread store knits, so she and some of her knitter friends decided to meet up every Thursday and one Sat a month. What a great group of ladies. Keep looking. You never know where a group may be meeting up. Good luck!

A situation has presented itself for me this week; I'd been thinking about offering to teach my daughter Becca and her friend Callie, and my dd Abby's friend Noelle to crochet this summer, and I'd even thought about offering to teach the girls who are part of a group that meets at our church once a month(think True Love Waits). An older lady from church had the same idea, and she approached the group leader Sunday and offered to teach the girls. When my daughters heard this, they anticipated my reaction and jumped in to offer my help. I'm going to talk to the other ladies this Sunday and plan a planning meeting soon. When I told another friend who is on the deaconess committee, she wondered if I'd be interested in teaching some 'not so young girls' too. So, in a roundabout way, I might get my local group after all.

I am fortunate to belong to a senior crafters group. We are a small bunch of women who sew, crochet, knit, cut/paste/glue various different crafts. We hold sales periodically to raise money and the money goes to several charities.

You can check out a local "Y" to see if they have any groups. If there are community centers or recreation centers in your area, you could check with them. I know that lots of women make preemie hats to donate to hospitals. You might ask your local hospital if they receive donations and what group submits the donations.

I definitely envy the members here that have found a nearby group to share their crochet or knit passion with. The nearest library to my location does have a meetup crochet club but when I made a point of attending, the only crocheting that occurred was what I had brought. Mostly it was a social and babysitting group that occasionally talked about crochet. I too have searched the internet for local groups but have not had any luck. Trying to start a group has been both disappointing and exhausting. I have decided that my best bet for crochet companionship has been through sites like C'ville and Ravelry.

I sure wish you luck in finding a local group to join.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived