Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

Granny Square - thank you! :)

Karen - wow! I am curious to see your doily - I think it's great to look at the same pattern made by someone else. I was thinking of using white thread at first, but I just needed some change after all Christmas ornaments I made, so I decided to use some in spring colours. I always admire your frosted technique and I'm sure it will look wonderful :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I dug out my thread and little crochet hooks this morning. I am going to make the Tree of Life Afghan pattern in thread instead of yarn. I'm using Clark's Big Ball 3 cord crochet thread in size 20 using a size 7 steel crochet hook. At least that is the plan. :lol

OK, I dug out my thread and little crochet hooks this morning. I am going to make the Tree of Life Afghan pattern in thread instead of yarn. I'm using Clark's Big Ball 3 cord crochet thread in size 20 using a size 7 steel crochet hook. At least that is the plan. :lol

and what a plan it is! I can't wait to see progress on it. I love that design :manyheart

I just finished row #3. It doesn't look like much yet, but it's not too bad so far. I think it will be about 18" - 20" wide, I'll know more once I've done a bit more and can actually calculate the gauge. :lol

Hi there Craftimama!

If while you are looking through your new/old Magic Crochet mags and come across the pattern that looks like the one I'm showing here, I would really love a copy of the pattern. I started this doily and lost the pattern and magazine in which I got it from. I've been going nuts :loco at home trying to find it. I'm pretty sure it came out of the Magic Crochet :magic:chook :book or it could have come out of the Decorative Crochet Mag between 1991 and 1993. I would really love to finish it. I will eventually try to ad-lib the ending if I can't come up with the pattern somewhere in the future. Thanks for keeping a lookout. :think

Rose+Doily.JPG

HPIM2275.JPG

:bump Any other progress reports out there?

I'm flowered-out, I've finished the 21 flowers for the Rose Parade Doily (in the current Crochet World). Now I can finally start putting them together :P

I am working on the edging for the curtain. It is filet crochet, has tulips motives, is about 15cm wide and should be about 1,5m long. I made first part (about 2m long) in summer, now the inspiration came for the second part. I have big windows in the living room and I dream of crochet draperies.... I am going to sew it to some linen and make curtains. I hope to finish before Easter, but you never know...

Msmusic, I'm curious on your project on that coffee table topper. I made that a couple of years ago, and (for me) it ruffled so badly I ripped it back and re-did all but the first couple of rows in triples instead of doubles, and it lays perfectly flat.

Later I found another free pattern on the net (I think it's on CPC somewhere) that looks identical, and it is written in triples - and also has sc so it is not a British version of the pattern.

Meanwhile I'm slowly making progress on the Rose Parade. I've discovered errors and have corresponded with the designer (Katchkan). Crochet World completely rewrote her pattern and their version is messed up. So far I'm muddling around the errors but it's annoying--and it's not a simple pattern to start with (no easy symmetry). Why don't they just take a pattern as written, and has been tested, and republish it verbatim? :rant

Msmusic, I'm curious on your project on that coffee table topper. I made that a couple of years ago, and (for me) it ruffled so badly I ripped it back and re-did all but the first couple of rows in triples instead of doubles, and it lays perfectly flat.

Later I found another free pattern on the net (I think it's on CPC somewhere) that looks identical, and it is written in triples - and also has sc so it is not a British version of the pattern.

Wow, Granny Square - I have some friends on another board who are working on this as well and several have mentioned the ruffling. I have a little, but think as the pineapples take shape it will settle out. Someone said once it's blocked it lays perfectly flat? oh well, I'll know sometime soon!

I've found some doilies ruffle for a few rows and then settle down; some stay a little ruffly but are blockable; this one was wildly ruffly all the way to the end of the center round part--I thought it was tooo much to block out, I hope it works for you. Maybe it's my gauge, I dunno.

edit - I could have sworn I checked that this had sc to 'prove' it wasn't British (it doesn't) but here's the other pattern

http://www.learn-how-to-crochet.com/doily.html

:bump Any other progress reports out there?

I'm flowered-out, I've finished the 21 flowers for the Rose Parade Doily (in the current Crochet World). Now I can finally start putting them together :P

I just started working on that pattern! I don't usually buy Crochet World, but I just loved :manyheartthat pattern! Are you using size 20 or 10 thread? I didn't have any 20 so I am using 10. So far I have done the middle flowers. I'm doing the roses in a rose color thread with gold through it that I found at a thrift store.

This is the curtain's edging I mentioned. It is 17cm wide and I need 8 motives. The edge ruffles, but it won't when I finish. I already have one part with 8 motives, now I'm working on the second part.

post-30828-135897497094_thumb.jpg

This is the curtain's edging I mentioned. It is 17cm wide and I need 8 motives. The edge ruffles, but it won't when I finish. I already have one part with 8 motives, now I'm working on the second part.

[ATTACH]15340[/ATTACH]

Anna, that is gorgeous!

I've found some doilies ruffle for a few rows and then settle down; some stay a little ruffly but are blockable; this one was wildly ruffly all the way to the end of the center round part--I thought it was tooo much to block out, I hope it works for you. Maybe it's my gauge, I dunno.

edit - I could have sworn I checked that this had sc to 'prove' it wasn't British (it doesn't) but here's the other pattern

http://www.learn-how-to-crochet.com/doily.html

Thanks for this additional pattern info, Granny Square. I haven't worked on this in the past few days. will keep you posted.

Busy-bee-lmy, tobybob, Granny Square - thank you! I hope to finish before Easter and it seems really possible, because I've just started my winter holidays, so I have a lot of time for crocheting :jumpyay Now I also stitch a picture for my friend's wedding on Saturday, but it's almost done. I stitch in the daylight but in the afternoon I catch my hook... Can't be bored :)

I'd like to see your projects, ladeis, the doily you are talking about - no way to buy US magazines in Poland.... It's so great to see others' projects progress!

You can see pattern of the one I am working on here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1953004&postcount=1

It is slow going. There are errors in the magazine, Katchkan clarified one of them and so far I'm working around others. And just to complicate things, I'm trying to come up with a different way to attach the flowers in the outer row to avoid weaving in 32 ends! :eek

Hi Granny, long time since I chatted on the ville. Been so busy with moving and health issues haven't had time to do crocheting. ER doctor fixed that for me, I broke a rib and she wants me on complete rest for it to heal, so I am bored. Can't work on any big heavy projects, and just got a book for thread motifs, so here I am. Just finishing a hat I was making for myself, and figured a light thread project is just what I need. Can I join in with you all?

Archived