Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

I haven't posted an update in a long time. So here is the threadtable cloth that I have been working on. I've never blocked anything this big, so I'm guessing I just going to have to tape togeth flattened cardboard boxes. Any other ideas for blocking a tablecloth.

IMG_0692.jpg

Very pretty! As far as blocking goes when I have a big project i vacume the carpet well and put a white sheet down and pin it to that.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Ladies! I have not had a chance to pick up my bedspread at all. I have been running to the Dr and the Er with DD since last Sunday. She colapsed on the kitchen floor and couldn't breath. Taylor (dd) is a athlete so the first thing they did was run heart enzime test to make sure that she didn't have a heart attack. They have also checked for blood clots, We still don't know what is wrong with her, but they are trying to rule out the major things before they test for the minor ones.

Thanks for letting me vent....:hug

Hello Ladies! I have not had a chance to pick up my bedspread at all. I have been running to the Dr and the Er with DD since last Sunday. She colapsed on the kitchen floor and couldn't breath. Taylor (dd) is a athlete so the first thing they did was run heart enzime test to make sure that she didn't have a heart attack. They have also checked for blood clots, We still don't know what is wrong with her, but they are trying to rule out the major things before they test for the minor ones.

So Sorry, I hope they find was is happening, my thoughts and prayers are with you, also a hug for you too!:hug

I haven't posted an update in a long time. So here is the threadtable cloth that I have been working on. I've never blocked anything this big, so I'm guessing I just going to have to tape togeth flattened cardboard boxes. Any other ideas for blocking a tablecloth.

IMG_0692.jpg

I've never done anything that large, so can't help you there. It's gorgeous!

Oh dear! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :hug :hug :hug

Oh Dorothy, so sorry to hear about your daughter! I hope she is feeling better in the interim, and that they can find the problem and get it fixed soon. :ghug

Steerlady, that is lovely! I've not blocked anything that large either, but someone once posted that they fold tablecloths in half or quarters to block. This sounds like it would be easier to measure to keep everything square/consistent.

I haven't posted an update in a long time. So here is the threadtable cloth that I have been working on. I've never blocked anything this big, so I'm guessing I just going to have to tape together flattened cardboard boxes. Any other ideas for blocking a tablecloth.

IMG_0692.jpg

I have a Cal king bed and when I block a big tablecloth, I liquid starch it, put it in the washer on spin, then lay it on top my bed (on a white sheet) and shape it.....put a fan on and it will be dry by bed time... Good luck

Here's an update picture of my monster filet piece. This is the fist 20 rows of 140 rows total. It measures 52" across. :eek And I'm almost at the end of the first ball of thread. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a bunch more. :lol :lol And, yes, that's a yardstick beside it on the bed. :lol :lol

post-9295-135897524421_thumb.jpg

Holey moley, it's huge! It is going to be beautiful!!

I'm kind of missing my doily thread and hooks but I'm determined to finish my knit sweater first. And I can't seem to settle into a purl technique, I just found a new one today I have to try (sigh)

Hi Ladies! I'm new around here, but not new to crochet. I mostly work with yarn, my latest obsession is grannies. I've tampered with thread, making a few snowflakes and one failed attempt at a coaster (my stitches were WAY too loose and it's about 6 inches in diameter) I was just wondering if anyone has ever done a "granny style" tablecloth (or anything really) using thread? I like to make huge grannies, not a bunch of little squares to have to piece together. So I was thinking about trying something like this but not quite sure how it will turn out.

Hi and welcome! I've made lots of doilies but never mustered up the endurance for a tablecloth. A 'granny square' one actually sounds like a good idea, you could make a rectangular one to fit your table, or a runner. It would look sort of like filet. Since grannies tend to 'skew' when they get really big, the only thing I would do different is to turn each row, which also makes it reversable.

that's what I was thinking too... I just made what is now a practice swatch (since I'm pretty new at thread crochet, my stitches aren't always consistent, they're better now though) and it's only about 4" square but it's already starting to get kind of wonky. I do like the idea of a rectangle, I have a pattern that I use for rectangle afghans so I'll use that but turn every row. And maybe by the time I'm close to being finished, I will have enough courage to try some kind of lacy decorative border... we'll see how it goes!

Cool! You know the rectangle formula, right? The center should be the length of the difference of the final measurements of the 2 sides. Since you are working in the round, each side grows by the same amount. Example, if you want a 3'x5' piece, start with a 2' center; as it grows one set of sides is ALWAYS 2' longer than the other.

I only mention this because the question has come up more than once in the Help section. I would hate to see you get a bunch of rows into it and realize it wasn't coming out right...

Cool! You know the rectangle formula, right? The center should be the length of the difference of the final measurements of the 2 sides. Since you are working in the round, each side grows by the same amount. Example, if you want a 3'x5' piece, start with a 2' center; as it grows one set of sides is ALWAYS 2' longer than the other.

I only mention this because the question has come up more than once in the Help section. I would hate to see you get a bunch of rows into it and realize it wasn't coming out right...

That's an interesting bit of information. I have never heard that but it makes good sense. Thanks for sharing. :hug

OH NO! :eek I didn't know that formula! I started super small, only like 4", do you think I should start over? I don't know who's table it will be for but my table is 3'x4' or 3'x5' with the leaves pulled out. I'm about 8 rounds in, I might just keep going and see what it turns into, I don't know :worried

Up to you. You could add to the short ends with a granny-type pattern but working back and forth. Since it is thread and (presumably) the same color, I bet only you would notice.

to work a granny-type pattern flat, starting at a corner:

first row: chain 3 and dc in corner, the usual (3-chains in the space, chain 1) across, end with 2 dc in the next corner.

second row: turn, chain 3 in first space, 'the usual' across, end with dc in chain-3 below.

repeat these 2 rows for length. If you need to make up 12" total, I would do 6" on one side of the granny square and 6" on the other.

Since the edges in this extended area look different than the central granny, once you are done with both ends you could then go around the whole rectangle with a granny round, or solid dc or something completely different (shell stitch always looks nice).

Ok, so I've abandoned the large rectangle granny tablecloth... it'll take me about 10 years to finish and I'll most likely lose it by then. I'm now on the hunt for something much smaller. Maybe a simple doily, if anyone has suggestions, that would be super! Thanks!

Hang in there.

I like to recommend this site for a place to start for nice looking, but mostly not too complicated, doilies. I've done a few, they are well written and most are not too huge

http://pandacrochet.8m.com/patterns.html

Cutie pie is a simple pattern, but nice looking.

You could also try crochetpatterncentral.com or freepatterns.com. Pinwheel type patterns are fairly easy, pineapples maybe the next step. (I'm trying to think of types where the repeats are easy to remember; some of them get kind of complicated).There is one on freepatterns.com titled '5 hour doily', not sure if that's true but it has a lot of chain loops so maybe.

You know, if you like granny squares, you might like working with thread motifs too. Many are join as you go and you can make a doily or runner with them, even a table cloth.

I decided on the Cutie Pie Doily. I'm already through the first 8 rounds (only 5 more to go) so far it looks really nice and I'm excited to get it finished. I think I might need to get some reading glasses for when I work with thread, after a while I started getting a headache. I really have to concentrate on each stitch and making sure I'm putting it in the right hole.

Woo Hoo! :woo

You might try the magnifying glasses from the drug store, sometimes I use them instead of my bifocals when I'm working with dark thread. Make sure you have plenty of light, too.

Have to laugh - my BIL is a garage sale hound, he sends us some of his 'treasures' he think we'll like or as a joke. Just yesterday his care package included an adjustable beam light that you strap to your head - I nabbed it for my 'doily light'. :lol

i like to make snow flakes, which could be really small doiles. and i also make barbie items

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=307026&ppuser=96385

Oh, WOW!!! That is gorgeous! Beautiful dress! Is it your own pattern or did you find it somewhere?

Archived