Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

My tulip edging is not finished yet, but I needed some change with colour. So yesterday I started a filet doily (or I should say small runner? :think) with 2 hearts. But I don't know if I have enough thread. I have just one ball of light green, but I got it from a friend and it was rewind and I don't know its name or weight. So I'm going to make just one heart as a smaller doily or if I see there is still enough thread left, I will continue :). This is what I made:

post-30828-135897502548_thumb.jpg

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anna your filet work is so pretty!

Sorry I haven't been in here lately, but I have a colleague that is very ill & I am making an afghan for her, so I've gotten sidetracked. Will be back in here soon to finish up my coffee table topper.

post-30828-135897503673_thumb.jpg

I can say I am lucky - can you see how little thread left??? :lol But my hearts are almost finished. I have to make the edging around, but first I will go to the shop and choose some thread for it - maybe dark green or light yellow?

Anyway, does anybody CROCHET ALONGS here??? :hi

Hi Anna, I've been missing for a few days and missed your progress, now you're already done! It is pretty!! I think a dark green or white border would be pretty, I'm not sure about yellow but I'm not very adventurous with color.

I just started on a vintage (1956, well, that's younger than I am LOL) pattern on Celts' Vintage Yahoo site, it's called Popcorns & Pineapples. It's an unusual pattern, it's a square-ish doily and the pineapples really look like pineapples with the leaves and all. If you are a Ravelry member you can see the pattern pic here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/popcorns-and-pineapples

Arabookworm, welcome!

What do you mean by not quite right? If it is stitched OK, but just wrinkly/ruffly looking, block it. Blocking can work wonders. One of these days I will take a before and after pic of a doily, some look like a wadded up rag before blocking.

If you mean, what do you use them for, well I put them to traditional use - on my furniture to keep it from getting scratched (under lamps, vases, potted plants, runners on the dresser....) You could use them for placemats, or sew them on to decorative pillow tops. I use a couple of large round ones as antimacassars (protective cloths on the top of chair backs). Some people frame them. I have some holiday ones that I put out, not protecting anything, just because they're festive.

• 1 month later...

Hi, there ladies! :hi Is anyone still working on their thread crochet? I was doing the Tree of Life in thread, but finally gave up and frogged it last night. I was doing row after row with no visible progress. Last night I dug through my vintage patterns to see what i could find that I haven't done and came up with #24: Cabbage Roses, a filet crochet piece from the October 1989 issue of Magic Crochet. I'm using a bit bigger thread and hook than the pattern calls for so it looks like it will be around 48"x50". Starting chain is 424 chains. Wow! I've got three rows done so far. It's going to take a while, but it will be a good piece for this summer when afghans are too warm. :hook

I just finished a couple of small doilies, no patterns, just one that is 6 motifs and a edge and another small round doily....I will try and get some pictures tomorrow when it is light...anyone else??

Yeah, Vonnie! Can't wait to see your pictures.

I've got 6 rows done out of 140 on the piece I started yesterday. Looks like it will be about 48 inches square with the size thread and hook I'm using.

After completing my yellow runner for Crochet Games I make small things - quite a lot of butterflies, because I've got a new idea how to use them for some kind of spring decoration :bee

I made a few bookmarks, shamrocks and earrings :ladybug

That is absolutely gorgeous, Joy. And I understand your problem about what color to make it in. I'm not sure what color I'd pick either.

Hi everybody. I haven't been doing thread lately, I'm trying to re-learn how to knit. I made 2 simple scarves as a teenager (mumble) decades a go and put my needles down after learning to crochet. It is humbling to be so fumbly with fibre. I'm trying to make a hat and I think I could have produced a blanket with all the time & stitches that are already into it.

And no, I have no intentions of knitting with thread :eek

Hi everybody. I haven't been doing thread lately, I'm trying to re-learn how to knit. I made 2 simple scarves as a teenager (mumble) decades a go and put my needles down after learning to crochet. It is humbling to be so fumbly with fibre. I'm trying to make a hat and I think I could have produced a blanket with all the time & stitches that are already into it.

And no, I have no intentions of knitting with thread :eek

:rofl :rofl :rofl I do have some patterns of my grandmother's from the 40s and 50s for knitted doilies if you want to try. And, no, I've never been that nuts.

I just spotted this Thread and thought that I'd jump in. I learned to crochet mainly because I like working with thread, and have actually only completed two projects with yarn. Everything else has been thread. I'm thinking about purchasing the Viceroy Butterfly Shawl Pattern and making one for myself. I just can't quite decide what color I'd like to make it in.

This is a great pattern, I was lucky enough to be a tester on it...here is mine, it was beige with copper thread

th_IM001424.jpg

Hello, fellow threadies. Nice to see a few new projects! I'm just as guilty of not posting mine--I have 5 or 6 finished items I haven't shown. I finally made a doily-ghan, too, using yarn for a doily pattern. It's a little smaller than I wanted (I had to guess at the amount, and I ran a bit short of yarn), but it looks very nice over the back of my couch, which is what I wanted.

I'm leaving for the US in just a few weeks (I'll be there from April to October), and I'm taking only my hooks--no thread. I'm not sure what to do about patterns--I might try scanning a couple of my magazines for my personal use, so I can have patterns on my computer. :think

Vonnie, that is gorgeous.

Good luck with the pattern, Joy. I'm glad you went ahead and got it.

I added two more rows to my piece yesterday. (That's 8 of 140 done.) It takes about an hour per row at this point. I'm really liking it and will try to get a picture of the pattern and my progress on Friday.

This is a good place for videos (see top left clicky)

http://www.nexstitch.com/

Also here ( I don't think you need to sign up, but it's got a lot of free Annie's Attic patterns, including doilies, and it's free)

http://www.freepatterns.com/content/content.html?cat_id=2&type_id=S

Generally for bead crochet, you string the beads onto the thread first (unless there is a color sequence I usually bead a few extra, I've had little beads break and, um, miscounted). When you make the stitch with the bead, just push the bead up into the stitch as you complete it. Usually it works better if you bead on the wrong side; the bead wants to pop to the back side. If it's on the edge of the shawl it shouldn't matter.

That is such a prety shawl!!

Archived