Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

I'm at it again! I started a centerpiece in size 30 thread with the size 12 hook last night. I'm part way through the 3rd round which is a round of 60 dcs and 12 flowers with 8 petals each. It's going to take a while since there are 3 rounds like this separated by two solid rounds of dcs. The rest of it will go quicker since that is rows of fans in open work. Color me crazy? :hook

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds pretty! Is the pattern on line? Also meant to ask that about the gold and white doily, it looks really familiar.

Save me a nice quiet spot in the asylum :lol Although this year I'm mostly working on relearning knitting and trying out different techniques.

I finished the thread doily I was making using size 30 thread and size 12 hook. It turned out to be just barely 6" in diameter. The pattern says that it will be approximately 9" in diameter with using size 20 thread and a size 7 hook. I was unable to find any colored size 30 crochet thread so I picked up some 100% Egyptian cotton sewing thread that is size 30 - 50 and will try that and see how it works with the little needles now.

[ATTACH]23282[/ATTACH]

Melissa, I find that the older patterns are easier to follow than a lot of the newer patterns. I use the ones that I inherited from my grandmother from the 1950s. Most of them work well when done with size 20 crochet thread and a size 7 hook. You can frequently find them for sale on eBay. I'd check out some of the free crochet pattern sites, too.

Thanks for the Info!

Sounds pretty! Is the pattern on line? Also meant to ask that about the gold and white doily, it looks really familiar.

Save me a nice quiet spot in the asylum :lol Although this year I'm mostly working on relearning knitting and trying out different techniques.

The gold and white doily is called "The Gift Doily" from page 5 of the Star Doily Book No 128 by the American Thread Co. dated 1956. The price at that time was 10 cents.

The one I'm doing now is No 7 - Table Doily Set - "Sheer Witchery" from Doilies to Treasure, book 1600, by Lily. There's no date on this one but it was also priced at 10 cents, so I think it was from the early to mid 1950s, too. I'm on the next row now which is 144 dcs. :lol :lol :lol

Thanks for looking up the pattern info. Sheer Witchery is on Celt's Yahoo site with the same book you mentioned (also no date). Looks like it comes in 4 sizes, from coaster to centerpiece. Very pretty!

I've discovered I have a copy of the other doily pattern but it's called "Two Tone Doily" (they were cross referenced in Ravelry)...I knew it looked familiar!

Thanks for looking up the pattern info. Sheer Witchery is on Celt's Yahoo site with the same book you mentioned (also no date). Looks like it comes in 4 sizes, from coaster to centerpiece. Very pretty!

I've discovered I have a copy of the other doily pattern but it's called "Two Tone Doily" (they were cross referenced in Ravelry)...I knew it looked familiar!

You're right. It does come in assorted sizes. There are directions for 5 sizes actually. But one of those is just one row different from another one.

• 2 months later...

i hope you have room for one more threader.....

i havent done anything in thread yet but i have alot of projects in mind. i want to do the caron simply soft friendship shawl in thread (2 seprate colors)

and im waiting on some rainbow and black thread to make some things for halloween for myself

after the holidays i may get some other thread colors once i catch up on my "big" projects.....

so can i join? can i can i can i ???

Of course, you can join us, Ducky! :hi Welcome to the group! :welcome I'm Linda T and I'm currently working on a centerpiece with size 30 thread and a size 13 hook. I got inspired to work with the tiny thread when my mom gave me some of my grandmother's pieces that were done in that size. Grandma is the one who taught me to crochet when I was about 9 and I inherited her crochet patterns and hooks. Some of the patterns are older than I am! :lol :lol :lol

thank you linda! and hello everybody else! im fairly new to thread crochet so youll have to excuse me if i begin to ask somewhat DUH moment questions

busybee...your signature line cracks me up about the knitting needles! is it bad that i was in a craft store once and heard several aisles away a mother and child (mother was griping at the child) i nonchalantly rolled past her and said "who in sam snot stuck a knitting needle up your butt (actually bleeding expletive)

Archived