Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

Anybody interested in jumping in on a thread CAL?? I'm itchin' to start working on doilies again after a few months with very little time with my steel hooks! But it's not much fun by myself!

If you're working on a thread project, or starting one soon.....beginner to expert....jump in and let's talk thread!!!

I found a bunch of issues of Magic Crochet at the antique store the other day, and I found a couple vintage books at the thriftshop.....so I'm looking through them today to pick out my next project.

I just finished off Pineapple Song (PK pattern) yesterday and delivered it to my SIL last night. There's a photo of the completed doily on the show and tell board. I wanted to take it to her right away rather than wait for Christmas because it was bright white thread, and I could just see my 5 year old spilling koolaid on it or something. :)

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am working on a doily!

It is from the 1957 Coats & Clark booklet, 516. It's the Tulip Garden (I think that's the name) one. The one on the cover. I had found the booklet at an antique mall and came home, took photos, and posted pictures. A friend sees it and says it's the doily she keeps describing to me for a while now, and she wants two of them. She saw the book and was all "That's it! that's the one!" hehe

It's slow going, I keep getting confused on where I'm at in the pattern. I think I'll print the page so I can use markers on it to mark where I am!

Definitely not a Christmas gift at this rate hahaha, maybe for Mother's day!

I have a box full of Magic Crochet mags, Decorative Crochet Mags, and a lot of vintage patterns. I wanted to make a bedspread for my MIL for the longest time (I need to go find it again)... I even have enough thread to do it.

I would like to join you, but not till after :ctree, if that's ok?

I am thinking that I could break the project into chunks, and make it into a yearlong project...

Meowy -- the doily sounds awesome!!!! :o) Please share pictures....we all love to see in progress photos! What color thread are you using?

Stitchintime -- a tablecloth!! So cool!! I like your idea of breaking it up into chunks. Sure -- join us after Christmas! This will be an ongoing thread where we're all working on our own projects.....so you can jump in whenever you are ready!!

Steelerlady -- jump in when you are ready! When you get your snowflakes and angels stiffened, think about posting a picture for us to see your work!

I'm still trying to decide on a pattern for my next project......I always have a hard time making up my mind!!

I am working on my third thread afghan.. I finished one already in beige and now working on my second one in verigated pastels...I donate these to the hospital. I bought 50 balls of verigated pastel thread for .99 a ball and couldn't think of anything to make with it, so decided to make the afghans...here are some pix

post-9781-135897480638_thumb.jpg

post-9781-135897480643_thumb.jpg

Hey Vonnie! The afghan is gorgeous! Great deal on thread too!

I finally picked out my pattern. I'm going to make one from Absolutely Gorgeous Doilies by PK. #16 Majestic. It uses pineapples and popcorn stitches. Slow day answering phones at the gym so I'm starting on it today. I'm using Aunt Lydia's Classic in Natural.

1 row done -- 32 more to go!! :)

Cute afghan!

I'm doing the doilies in size 30 white Aunt Lydia thread :) Yay, I'll see about getting a photo today. I've some other things to photograph as in-progress as well. First time I've crocheted with such thin thread I think, I have been trying to do tatting with it as well but I'm just not there yet hehe

Hi, there was another doily along that's slipped to the second page, folks got busy with holiday 'stuff' I think. I'll join you, I usually have a doily on the hook.

As a matter of fact, I'm nearly done with 'AntimaCATssar', it was a pattern in a 1980's magazine. It will be a Christmas gift.

Before that I'd done a PK doily from that same book (Windsor) and a Mary Werst doily, I was ready to take a break on something easy like filet :lol

Vonnie, those blankets are gorgeous. All that work in thread :faint

Meowy, what I do to mark my place is use those postit "flags". They are meant to be bookmarks; the sticky part is transparent. They come in all sizes but I use the ones that are about 1x2", I cut them into 4 narrow strips, and use 1 strip to mark my pattern. I draw an arrow on the clear part to point to the spot--they also work great on symbol diagrams because it's transparent, you just see the arrow.

I usually have a thread project or three on the hook, but at the moment I don't. I'm making a few things for Christmas, too (or playing scrabble on the internet--my newest addiction :lol ). I'll join you after the holiday, too...

Normally, thread crochet is what I do, but right now we are having our few days of winter, and I am making use of the cool weather to crochet a warm stole, and I have to make a bag in nylon cord for a gift. So, I am glad that there is no time limit on joining in, as I must finish these before I return to my doilies.

Feel free to post and share photos of your Christmas projects, even if they aren't thread! Even when we do projects with yarn....we are still threadies too! :) Then after Christmas just jump in with your thread projects. Let's make the official starting date for the thread CAL to be Jan. 1st. But we can post about our current projects for now.....until we're all ready to get back to thread!

I started my new PK doily.....got 2 rows done yesterday.

We are decorating our house for Christmas today. But I'm also going to find time to sew the legs on an amigurumi, and maybe another couple rows on the doily. :)

What's everyone else working on?

I've just finished a yarn project so I'm rewarding myself by starting yet another thread project :D even though I have tons of other things I ought to be finishing up :crocheting

I'm making the Pineapple Poinsettia Wreath from Crochet World Dec '07 for my older sister. I'm on round 2 and struggling with the puff stitch shells, pulling through 7 loops on the hook is making me crazy *lol*

Hi Kookaloo :waving I made that wreath doily when the mag came out, it makes a nice candle doily. Be sure to check the CW corrections for that issue, there's something amiss...I didn't realize it when I was making it until I had to improvise a couple of rows after the error :lol

Thanks for the heads up Granny Square! I'll go and scout around for any errata before I work any further.

and here is the correction in case anyone else gives this pattern a try (big thanks to Ann P for this!)

Pineapple Poinsettia Wreath, page 7

Rnd 11: Sl st into ch-2 so, beg shell in came ch-2 sp, *ch 5, sc in next sc, ch 5, shell in next ch-2 sp of shell, ch 5, tr dec (see Stitch Guide) in next 3 ch-5 sps, ch 5, 3-tr cl in net 3-tr cl, [ch 3, 3-tr cl in next ch-3 sp, 3-tr cl in next 3-tr cl] 4 times, ch 5, tr dec in next 3 ch-5 sps, ch 5** shell in next ch-2 sp of shell, rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join in beg shell.

Lucky me for finding this.....

I'm working on a small coaster form one of the lesiure arts books. I finished one in about 60 minutes!!!

My question - I'm using #10 crochet thread (forgot the brand name) but it feels pretty stiff. I've tried soaking it in plain water and its now drying.

Is there anything I can use when I am finished with it to give it a more "used" look. I know with other potholders, coasters, etc. that after awhile the thread seems to open up and get a little fatter - if that makes sense?

Is there a certain type of soap, fabric softner that will make it look like "not just made"?

Granny Square -- I LOVE the cat filet!!!!! :o) So pretty!! Thank you for sharing your photo!!

Kookaloo -- wanna share an "in progress'' pic with us?? :o)

peggy -- someone might have a more "tried and true'' answer for you.....but just off the top of my head....maybe when you block your coasters don't use a stiffener just get them damp and stretch to block. Then they won't have such a crisp finished look. Anyone have a better answer for her??

Thanks!

I think thread stiffness is sort of the 'nature of the beast'.

I made a doily in Aunt Lydia's Bamboo, it was the limpest I've used. I've also found that Aunt Lydia's 'natural' color seems limper than the white.

You could try using the next size larger hook. For #10 thread I usally use a US#7 steel hook, but I've used anywhere from a 5 to a 9 if I want the piece tighter or lacier....

Archived