Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

Oh wow Kookaloo, what a wonderfully different look! :clap Beautiful!

I finally got thru the center, of the poinsettia doily, I'm on the last row finally. I ended up adding 48 stitches to keep it flat (256 instead of 208 in the last row)

I'm not sure a larger hook would have helped. When a piece cups, there's too much diameter for the circumference, right? The only way I know to fix that problem with the same # of stitches is making shorter stitches to decrease the diameter to circumference ratio. I've used a larger hook to lessen ruffling, but that's the opposite problem (that can be cured with taller stitches).

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello, I hope everyone had a nice holiday. I got the doily finished and blocked on Christmas eve (whew) then discovered my neighbors (the giftees) weren't home, and still aren't - I guess they are visiting relatives, oops.

oh, wow! That is lovely.

Granny Square the Poinsettia Doily is just gorgeous!!

and the one in crochet world is very pretty,very tempting but I think it might be a bit too advanced for me.

I just joined a Ravelry group who are aiming to make a Xmas decoration a week to give us a head start on the 2010 holidays and this is my first one of the year :hook

and a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all x

post-14036-135897490886_thumb.jpg

Good morning and Happy New Year! I am getting back into my thread work this year, and would love to join you. I have recently purchased some of the Bella Crochet items and want to make several items to frame. I also am itching to start some sort of table runner or tablecloth and will decide on that pattern shortly.

Have any of you tried the Clover Soft Touch thread hooks?? Did you like them?? Profi hooks are being discontinued so I thought about trying the Clover soft touch for the other sizes of steel hooks, but someone told me that they felt the handles were too big. Any opinions?

I have many of the Clover soft touch thread hooks and LOVE them. My only gripe is the sizing. I find that their "2" is the best I can do to produce items needing a size 7 hook with #10 thread. Sometimes I need to use the "0" (zero) to get the gauge correct, but most items I make aren't that gauge specific. But I love how they feel to work with.

I haven't tried the clover or the profi hooks, but I have the boye interchangeable hooks. They are OK, but the tip comes loose every so often, it seems like I'm always tightening it.

I've thought about the Boye interchangeables, but wondered about the joining hub getting loose as you work with them. I think I'll stick with Clover for now.

Hope to see more activity here in the new year.

I am working on my third thread afghan.. I finished one already in beige and now working on my second one in verigated pastels...I donate these to the hospital. I bought 50 balls of verigated pastel thread for .99 a ball and couldn't think of anything to make with it, so decided to make the afghans...here are some pix

Vonnie - your afghans are gorgeous! Are you using a specific pattern, or are you creating your own?Are you willing to share your pattern source?

Granny ~ that doily is really pretty!

Kookaloo ~ Love your lil angel... she is adorable!

Happy NewYear, all! I have been :lurking around here, and :drooling over all of your beautiful work! I have many thread WIMs.... I just need to start making time for me... errr... I mean them!:lol

Tomorrow I will be starting on my Christmas village, made of thread. It is a brochure by Leisure Arts. Today it was finally warm enough to venture into the attic to get my patterns, thread, and yarn for a 'ghan that I want to make.

I am looking forward to joining you girls... Finally! :whew

Vonnie - your afghans are gorgeous! Are you using a specific pattern, or are you creating your own?Are you willing to share your pattern source?

Thank you so much for the compliment.:blush.... I just use the shell pattern and then for the edges I just do whatever feels right, no pattern... I finished the verigated one and am now working on another beige one.... :crocheting

this is my current thread project - the shell mug mats from Annie's Attic. I thought it was a double layer coaster, but it's actually worked up as the center ecru and then "layered" with the contrast color. I like how it turned out. Only 3 more to go to finish the first set!

post-5630-135897492026_thumb.jpg

I peeked in here to see what you've been doing--love the pictures.

Gorgeous work, everyone. Definitely makes me want to dig out my thread and make something pretty. I got some Christmas money, and wanted to buy some thread, but the shop I visited was out of any interesting colors. I might hang on to the money and order from Handy Hands when I'm in the US (beginning in April, for 6 months). In the mean time, I guess it's just going to be more stash...not like I don't have plenty.

Nice coaster, Msmusic! I like the colors.

:hi Hi Karen!

I have been fiddling with the Rose Parade 'hard parts'. I've decided to ditch the padded centers and bullion stitches, and go with the adjustable ring and dtrs. Bullion stitches are pretty, but sometimes life is too short, y'know? I have never been able to do one. Now I'm having trouble seeing the dark burgundy thread :sigh .

Your beautiful work make me smile, I like to watch what the others work on.... I usually crochet with thread, so I would like to join you.... Can I? ;)

My first work this year was a doily with tulips - not my first with that floral motive, but I like it very much, so I couldn't resist when I saw the pattern.... The pattern is from Polish magazine "Moje Robótki" No 1/2010. The doily is about 30cm in diameter and I used pale yellow variegated thread "Snehurka" - have no idea what size is it in US....

post-30828-135897493142_thumb.jpg

Ana, how funny. I JUST finished that doily about 15 minutes ago...:lol Looks like the same one caught our eyes. Yours is lovely. I did mine with white thread and 3 very pale shades of sewing thread in the frosted technique. I have to figure out how to upload photos with this new computer so I can show you all.

Archived