Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can see pattern of the one I am working on here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1953004&postcount=1

It is slow going. There are errors in the magazine, Katchkan clarified one of them and so far I'm working around others. And just to complicate things, I'm trying to come up with a different way to attach the flowers in the outer row to avoid weaving in 32 ends! :eek

WOW!!! That is awesome! Good luck with all those ends.

You can see pattern of the one I am working on here

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1953004&postcount=1

It is slow going. There are errors in the magazine, Katchkan clarified one of them and so far I'm working around others. And just to complicate things, I'm trying to come up with a different way to attach the flowers in the outer row to avoid weaving in 32 ends! :eek

i could not to this it is too tiny. you are very good to do it.

I really want to figure out how to get my pictures on this new computer. I have quite a few finished projects that I haven't shared yet. I just found a doily I made months ago and haven't blocked yet.

Anna, believe me when I tell you that we have access to many more thread crochet patterns in Poland than are available in the US. I have sent many of our magazines (which are very inexpensive compared to US magazines) to grateful threadies in the states.

But if you like Kathy's patterns and are up for a big challenge (they are written in English, but don't have diagrams), you can some of her other work available through her website, which I think is http://www.crochetnbeads.com .

I really want to figure out how to get my pictures on this new computer. I have quite a few finished projects that I haven't shared yet. I just found a doily I made months ago and haven't blocked yet.

Anna, believe me when I tell you that we have access to many more thread crochet patterns in Poland than are available in the US. I have sent many of our magazines (which are very inexpensive compared to US magazines) to grateful threadies in the states.

But if you like Kathy's patterns and are up for a big challenge (they are written in English, but don't have diagrams), you can some of her other work available through her website, which I think is www.crochetnbeads.com .

Yes, I realize that we have here more magazines :lol so I know I am lucky because I can have them all :D The only thing I don't like about them is that some of them are reprints of German magazines and the editors don't change anything - i.e. yesterday I bought EASTER edition and found there some filet with eggs, rabbits, etc. And with "Happy Easter" in German. Which looks a little strange - why not in Polish?, why don't they change the part of the pattern to fit the country it is addressed for? But the patterns are great...

Anyway, when I buy these magazines, I think: LET'S BUY IT TO SEE ALL THESE GREAT PATTERNS I WON'T BE ABLE TO MAKE :lol

Thank you for the link to Kathy's pattern. I think her doilies are just DIFFERENT and I know they are big chalenge, but I hope I will try one day. I used to make angels according to written patterns, so this part shouldn't be a problem :)

Oh, my aunt just called me and told that another magazine with Easter decorations is to buy, so off I go!

Hi Karen, sorry you are having trouble getting pics into your new computer. I was wondering why I hadn't seen a new doily from you in a while ;) Maybe you could post your problem in the 'other topics' section and a computer whiz member can give you some advice?

I am envious of all your Polish thread magazines :sigh

Just played around with a few of the motifs and finally decided which one to make. Made one so far, and hope to do more tomorrow. It's called lattice square from a book by Jean Leinhauser. I am on some new meds that make me tired and foggy headed, so I will be slow on this. Want to make a runner for my dining room table to match my warm weather curtains.

Hi there Craftimama!

When you're going through those Magic Crochet magazines, can you keep an eye out for the pattern posted by my name. I lost my pattern (I always make copies of what I'm making) and I lost the copy and can't find the pattern in any of my magazines. The pattern had to have come from either a Magic Crochet Magazine or a Decorative Crochet Magazine sometime around 1990 - 1993. I'm still looking for this pattern to finish this doily. I'm crocheting other things in the interim but would eventually like to finish this one. I have gotten up the courage to adlib and create my own ending to this doily....maybe one day if I have to.

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/dlfoxy/Doreens%20Crochet%20Projects/RoseDoily-JPEG.jpg

Thanks.

Hi Doreen, you might also post this in the clinic/searching for patterns, you would have more 'traffic' seeing your request, and maybe someone can at least tell you what issue it's in so you can look for it on eBay if they're not willing to part with their magazine.

I finished the Rose Parade Doily! It seemed to take forever, I'm not usually one for making doilies in little bits but this one was so pretty...

post-13625-13589749859_thumb.jpg

It's really amazing that Crochet World rewrote the pattern so thoroughly. You think they could save money by just publishing patterns the way they were written. I can see, if they have conventions (like, defining stitches at the beginning of the pattern, and a designer might define them as they come up, but...)

I skimmed through the pattern before I started to see how it was put together, and began at the back of the pattern by making all the outer flowers first, starting with the half-carnations. It wasn't until I'd made all 21 flowers that it dawned on me that the half-carnations only had 2 rows of petals and all the other flowers had 3, sure enough the picture showed 3. I PM'd Katchkan and she shared her (much clearer BTW) wording of the carnations -- the magazine not only threw out all of her words, but messed up the last petal row and changed the attachment of the flower to the doily. What??!

There were many other errors but I was able to work around them (like, using a 'special stitch' that wasn't defined, working rows around the oval asymmetrically, telling you to work into the next sc when it had to have been the next tr, etc. etc. This is also part of why it took so long...:frog

Sorry for the rant, but just a warning to be prepared to improvise for those who attempt this doily. Oh, and I also dumbed it down a bit by not doing the padded centers, using a dtr in place of a bullion st, and attaching the outer flowers in 1 continuous round instead of 16 separate bits of green (saving 32 ends!)

Gorgeous, beautiful work, Granny. You should be proud. I'm not fond of lots of little pieces, either. (I did the Renaissance Beauty, which I think is enough for a another 5 years or so...lol). Good for you to work out a way to save 32 (!) ends.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what my next project will be. I just got Bendy Carter's new book "Knit 1, Purl 2 in crochet" and may fiddle with that for a bit.

By the way, antiquepatternlibrary.org has just posted a bunch of new books, they are highlighted in red. Not all are crochet but I love to look at the old patterns anyway. Some of them make me exhausted just imagining all the work our foremothers did back then!!

:bump I guess we are all busy crocheting....any new project pics to share?

Happy, how are those motifs coming along? I have never made a thread motif project, I think I'm afraid of getting bored.

I was a little disappointed with the K1P1 technique....nothing wrong with the book, there are some beautiful stitch patterns there and it really does look like knit. More disappointed by the denseness of the fabric, but I should have known better since it is variations of slip stitch crochet. I might try swatching with a bigger hook, but I was already using a K. And, I was hoping that somehow Bendy figured out how get the vertical look of knitting, but it is still horizontal. :sigh

So I'm looking through my patterns for inspiration for my next doily....

:bump I guess we are all busy crocheting....any new project pics to share?

Happy, how are those motifs coming along? I have never made a thread motif project, I think I'm afraid of getting bored.

I was a little disappointed with the K1P1 technique....nothing wrong with the book, there are some beautiful stitch patterns there and it really does look like knit. More disappointed by the denseness of the fabric, but I should have known better since it is variations of slip stitch crochet. I might try swatching with a bigger hook, but I was already using a K. And, I was hoping that somehow Bendy figured out how get the vertical look of knitting, but it is still horizontal. :sigh

So I'm looking through my patterns for inspiration for my next doily....

I'm still working on my tulip edging. It's twice as long as I showed before in the picture. It doesn't go very fast, because I also cross stitch in a meantime. I finished almost 3 small stitched projects in last 2 weeks, so I'm quite busy :)

Hi granny, your Rose Parade is gorgeous...Not doing so well with the Motifs, I wanted to do it in Blue and Ecru. Turns out that the blue I liked, wasn't the same size thread, and were coming out larger than the Ecru. So I had to keep trying til I found the right size in the right color. I never kept the labels when I used them before, so until I made the centers I couldn't really judge how well it would come out. Maybe it will be done by spring???

Thanks Happy!. Too bad about the size probem. I stuff the labels inside the balls so I can retrieve them if I need to. This works until the ball is nearly empty (the label falls out), but at that point you could write the size inside the cardboard core.

I still haven't been inspired by my next pattern yet.

I am in the process of blocking 4--yes 4--doilies that I have crocheted in the past month or two. I only have one board, so one at a time is all I can do, and in this weather they have to dry overnight. I'm hoping to figure out the picture thing by the time I'm done, so I can post a parade of doilies... (those 4, plus at least one more I did in green at Christmas time).

I'm building myself a little stash of doilies which I will give away while we are in the US (we stay in people's homes sometimes, or visit for meals, etc, and I like to give doilies to my hostesses--I have scattered dozens of them across the US in years past). For this purpose, I tend to choose simpler, quicker patterns. I used to do them all in white, or occasionally ecru, but now they all have at least some color...:D

What are the rest of you working on?

Ooh! CPC just added a charted doily pattern! It's so hard to find charted patterns in the US. Well, this is from the UK... :blush

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Crochet/Projects/crochet_doilie.htm

:hug thanks for that link!

I've made nothing during Jan' :think

Ooh! CPC just added a charted doily pattern! It's so hard to find charted patterns in the US. Well, this is from the UK... :blush

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Crochet/Projects/crochet_doilie.htm

Most of the patterns in our magazines are charted - I was suprised when I first found US written patterns... :)

This is a my current thread project. The pattern is from freecrochet.com it is designed as a table runner. I'm going to make it a tablecloth.

This is my first pineapple crochet and first tablecloth. It's the largest thing I've ever done in thread. I'm not sure how I'm going to block it when I'm done, but I'll deal with that when I get there.

IMG_0631.jpg

It looks great, I can imagine the tablecloth - it will be amazing! :clap I admire people who make so big things and I wish I could do something like this, but usually I don't have enough patience to finish.... so when I decide to try, it usually takes a looooong time to finish and I make the breaks for other projects :)

Archived