Thread CAL -- vintage, doilies....all things Thread Crochet!!

craftimama

Thanks for all the positive comments, I'm biased cos I love it *lol* so it's nice when other people do too.

I started another one today in red & I'll add white flowers - thanks to Rosered for that idea :hug whether it will be done in the short time we have left before Xmas is another story as I'm still frantically making squares for a blanket for my parents :eek

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kookaloo -- the runner and the doily are both awesome!! And I agree -- the doily will be stunning in red and white!! :)

It's supposed to snow/sleet here today and tomorrow.......anyone who has spent a winter in the south knows that everything just shuts down here when it snows. I'm prepared for a crochet day if the weather goes nuts. So far....nothing....but it's 3 a.m. right now and forecast doesn't call for anything until about 6 a.m.

Working on a shawl for a friend. Woke up and can't go back to sleep. So crocheting and watching old episodes of Ghost Whisperer. Thread work for me tomorrow if it's a snow day!! :)

we got snow!!!! :o) This is a once a year thing here in NC usually -- sometimes twice....so it's a big deal to my 5 year old. :) All the kids are going to go down to grandma's later today to sled. :) For me.....it's a crochet and laundry day! :)

I got 4 new vintage books off ebay this week -- $3 for all 4. I was STOKED!! Does anybody else have these:

Crochet Gay and Gifty Ideas StarBook 80

Potholders J&P Coats Book 222

Pot Holders J&P Coats Book 243

Hot Plate Mats Star Book No 70

The crochet ideas book has some really cool doily patterns -- a pretty Rose doily, a large and small floral hot plate mat. All 3 are going on my WIM list!

That was a great deal! Vintage patterns are so fun just to look at :manyheart.

I finished my 1915 doily, I will try to get a pic later today if it gets a little brighter. It's really foggy right now here.

I started another one last nite - yesterday my new-ish neighbor, who I mostly just wave at from across the street, came over and surprised us with a sampler plate of all sorts of baked goodies (and fudge!). Gaah! I wasn't planning on getting them anything. I'm not much of a baker, and I'm not sure if they are into doilies (they are a young couple), but they are into Christmas decorating so....I'm making a Christmassy doily for them.

I gave up on taking the pic with natural light on this gloomy day. This is doily #56 from the 1915 Robinson Centerpiece book on antiquepatterns.org. It came out larger than I thought it would (no dimensions were given), it's 14" with #10 thread. I like the old-timely look of it.

post-13625-135897486875_thumb.jpg

Just found you all here - I've usually got a thread project on the go too so would like to join in if that's ok? .... at the moment I've just finished a small PK doily for a friends christmas present - I'm going to try blocking it today so will post when finished! :hook

Good to have you on board Moggy and I'll be looking forward to seeing your doily later :)

I'll be working on the red wreath for a while today, not much progress on anything yesterday but I need to get a spurt on I have less than a week now :eek

Granny -- the doily is gorgeous!!! I'm with Kookaloo -- the center flower is so pretty!!

Hi Moggy!!! Glad you're joining us!! :) Looking forward to seeing a pic of your doily!

Tobybob...by the time I clicked on your link, the pattern had changed to a coffee table topper (also very pretty). I'm sure the china plate cover was awesome. :) I bookmarked the site -- always looking for thread patterns! :)

I'm really loving the Profi steel hooks a wonderful Christmas elf sent me! She sent me 3 sizes, and I just love them! The hooks have plastic handles just big enough to make it so much easier on my hands. I have arthritis in my hands and wrists. Usually I can only work with thread for an hour or so until my hands start to hurt. The plastic handle changes my grip on the hook enough that I'm working virtually pain-free now! So happy!! :)

Have any of you tried the Clover Soft Touch thread hooks?? Did you like them?? Profi hooks are being discontinued so I thought about trying the Clover soft touch for the other sizes of steel hooks, but someone told me that they felt the handles were too big. Any opinions?

Did you know that the pattern of the day on that site isn't like Annie's Attic, where it's there only for a day...they feature a different pattern each day. You can get any pattern any time. Just search under 'china' and you can see the china plate cover pattern.

I haven't tried the clover or the profi hooks, but I have the boye interchangeable hooks. They are OK, but the tip comes loose every so often, it seems like I'm always tightening it.

I am having a heck of a time with the poinsettia doily. It is a solid tapestry-style center and it is cupping. I kept adding stitches, but it's hard to do without messing up the pattern. Now I've ripped it way back and am trying to add more stitches earlier. Bah humbug.

I gave up on taking the pic with natural light on this gloomy day. This is doily #56 from the 1915 Robinson Centerpiece book on antiquepatterns.org. It came out larger than I thought it would (no dimensions were given), it's 14" with #10 thread. I like the old-timely look of it.

That is very lovely. :yay

I am having a heck of a time with the poinsettia doily. It is a solid tapestry-style center and it is cupping. I kept adding stitches, but it's hard to do without messing up the pattern. Now I've ripped it way back and am trying to add more stitches earlier. Bah humbug.

How about trying one size bigger hook for that section? Just a thought.....

Juli

:clapfinished my red wreath! I like it better than the white one :D It's not a great pic but it also shows the votive holder I painted with a holly motif so my sister will actually have a clue what the doily is for ;)

post-14036-135897488481_thumb.jpg

:clapfinished my red wreath! I like it better than the white one :D It's not a great pic but it also shows the votive holder I painted with a holly motif so my sister will actually have a clue what the doily is for ;)

Kookaloo, that is absolutely beautiful!

Kookaloo -- I love it!!! The red is gorgeous!!! :)

I wish I had time to work on my doily today --- but too busy getting the house ready for Christmas. :) Tomorrow is baking day....each year on Christmas Eve the kids and I bake cookies and make candy. :) So I have my shopping list all ready, and I'm organizing the kitchen to be ready for a whole day of baking and frosting. :)

Maybe tonight I will have time for some thread work! *crossing fingers*

Juli

Archived