Anyone feel others think crochet comes in second to knitting?

I have several friends who knit and they all say the same thing to me "I used to crochet, then I started knitting and never looked back." Or they will post things on their ravelery like " I knit for fun and crochet against my will"

I don't get it :think I love crocheting, why is knitting so much better?

It's kind of an age old battle. Which is better? Is there really a reason to choose one over the other? Or should we just continue crafting in our own way and be happy?

Some like knitting better. Some like Crocheting better. I think some of it has to do with what you learned first. I crochet all the time and every once in a while I do some knitting. It's just how I do it.

I don't think one is better. It's just different. And we need to learn to respect each others choices. But there will always be people who chose knitting over crochet and visa versa. Let's all just try to get along.

:manyheart

I learned to knit first but prefer to crochet. Knitting is fine, I love the results and love to watch my mom do it, but it just isn't for me. Every so often I forget why I put away the knitting patterns and trade my hook for the needles, and that usually lasts however long it takes me to cast on the required number of stitches and knit a couple of rows.

So it's personal preference, and I guess some folks just feel the need to advertise theirs.

I do both and learned them at the same time as a child. They each serve a different purpose to me. I agree. Nothing is all good and all bad. I prefer to think of the analogy of some people like McDonalds, others, Wendy's and yet others, BurgerKing. Which is the right one? They are all good in their own way.

When I was in my teens (back in the 60s) I tried to learn how to knit but could not catch on. Oh, I could do one row of knit and one row of purl but could not combine the two on the same row for some reason. A knitter I was not. Then when I was in my mid 20s (back in the 70s) my Mom and oldest sister taught me how to crochet. I took to it just like a duck to water. And have not stopped. Would I ever try knitting again? I don't know but probably not. For some reason I really enjoy crocheting. I don't think either one is better than the other one. I just prefer crochet. I don't know maybe some people prefer playing with two sticks instead of one. :rofl

The latest issue of Interweave Crochet has an article by Franklin Habit titled "Filet of Soul: One Man’s Journey into Crochet ". For anyone who doesn't know who Franklin is he wrote "It Itches : A stash of knitting cartoons". His take on learning how to crochet and his realization that crocheting is NOT the idiot cousin of knitting is quite an enjoyable read.

I'm partial to crocheting myself after teaching myself how to do both. I'll pick up the hook before the needles any day. That's just how I am...

What I find most challenging though is many of the specialty fiber arts stores that I step foot in are full of luxurious wonderful examples of how the yarn works up and 99.9999% of the time - it's in knit! The finished products they sell, knit! The novelties, books, and implements - knit! knit! knit! I find a piece of crochet work, or book, and in one case even a hook and relish its existence for all its worth.

It will forever be the eternal debate :)

Like everyone has said, it's all just personal preference. I think the internet tends to bring out people's snarky side; it's all supposed to be funny but it can get tiresome. When you get tired of the snark on Ravelry, just pop back in here for a soothing respite ;) And on Ravelry, look at the Crochet Liberation Front group.

I have run into this on occasion. The former owner of my LYS always looked aghast when I would tell her I was buying yarn to crochet something. When I pointed out that I knew how to knit, then I was deemed to be worthy to shop there. I stopped going for just that reason. But, now there is a new owner, and they are all about encouraging both crafts. So, I am back to going.

I think some people are just snarky. They look down on something because they don't know how to do it or don't understand it. Also, I think there is this incorrect perception that the only finished projects that come out of crochet are crude or tacky by comparison to the finished projects that come out of knitting. So, as crocheters it is our job to go out and educate the masses and show them that our projects are just as beautiful and refined as any knitted project.

I like both, and I feel that both have their strong suits. It just depends on the project and what you want it to look like when it is finished.

Just my two cents.

I myself haven't come across this..Perhaps it's because I don't visit many blogs or sites..I'd like to learn how to knit but am intimidated by the casting on..But for me crochet is my therapy..

the casting on always irritated me also, and was about as far as i could get w/ knitting until a recent opportunity to learn to knit. the teacher taught us the "french method of casting on". I LOVE IT! and now can actually knit.

maybe try doing a search for different ways to cast on and give them a try.

as for knitting over crochet. i'm still a very happy hooker. i do like knitting also, i am just not as fluent w/ it yet. practice practice practice.

as others have said, they each have their own personality and fit w/ different patterns/folks. neither is better or worse. 1 thing though, at least w/ me, i used to think knit was very limited in uses. there's only 2 stitches (what i used to think). i now can see the variations and was to get hundreds of differences. perhaps that is what (some of) the knitters are thinking of crochet? perhaps somehow?

as for your friends ravelry comments, you could switch the knit/crochet words and return it to them :)

Sandy

:crocheting vs. :knit

I'm thinking this isn't really so much a knitter vs. crocheter kind of conflict as much as it's a problem where some might only be able to feel good about themselves when they're stepping on another to get a needed lift, crafty or otherwise.

When it comes down to it, we're all fabricators. ;).... And whether we're creating or recreating, we all yarn over and over and over until we have something...or some thing...that we'll inevitably cherish or give away...or most ideally, give away to someone we cherish.

What counts, chain or cast-on, is that we enjoy what we're doing while doing it, and if it makes another smile...Bonus!

We/they/us...woolen heads all, to whatever degree of stitchery, and deep inside we're not all that different from each other... and here's proof...well, kind of:::

A brain on knitting:

Wonderfully complicated and warm

A brain on crochet:

I think they're both some kind of wonderful, either way

I knit and crochet, I tend to crochet more though...there are so many beautiful patterns to get around to! I do know many knitters in the local group here who snub crochet but it is their loss. I do not understand why in the world it is an issue. I don't care, I will crochet sometimes at the knitting group and someone will always assume I don't know how to knit because I am crocheting. it is silly.

A brain on crochet:

The timelapse crochet brain is a hoot! I love it!

I don't care, I will crochet sometimes at the knitting group and someone will always assume I don't know how to knit because I am crocheting. it is silly.

Yes it is silly!:hook

Well, I love to crochet and I was never able to learn how to knit, altho I tried. My stitches were just too tight.

But there are other things I do do well...........crocheting and painting.

I think you can get more out of crochet. I love making things for my home so crochet, to me, fills the bill. Who ever heard of a knitted doily? {Don't make me eat my words and come up with a link to show me a knitted doily....lol}

I just love the look of crocheted items for my home.

Hey...........each to his/her own.

Who ever heard of a knitted doily? {Don't make me eat my words and come up with a link to show me a knitted doily....lol}

I just love the look of crocheted items for my home.

Hey...........each to his/her own.

Well, I know there are knitted doilies, but don't worry i won't link to one:lol When it comes to lace, I MUCH prefer the look of crocheted lace!

I knit and crochet. Learned to knit first, but once I leaned to crochet it became my favorite. I knit occasionally, but when I pick up a hook my spirit soars.

That being said. I don't honestly think one is better than another. I respect those who prefer knitting and relish sharing with those like me that love crochet. I love all the needlework art forms from tatting, crochet, knitting embroidery, so on and so forth. It's variety that adds the spice to life. I guess I like my life spicey........

Oh and yes there are knitted doilies, I own several that my grandmother knitted. Knitting was her thing. Though we loved to talk yarns and patterns. I miss that.

I learned to crochet first then learned to knit I love both and times I go back to making scarfs or sweaters or something simple. I tend to crochet more but, there times I do love to knit. I feel both are fun to do it really is up to the person who likes one or the other. People that act like snobs have not seen of some of the new wonderful designs that crochet does today their lost and our gain.

I taught myself to knit as a teenager. Taught myself to crochet to trim the knit. Decided I like to crochet better.

Recently I was looking at a signup sheet at Hobby Lobby for knitting & crochet classes. There were a couple of names on the knit list, but over half a dozen on the crochet list!

I went into 3 bookstores and all three had a lot of books on knitting but hardly any on crochet. The craft stores has the boye hooks and plain susan bates. Noone has the sb with bamboo handle. We have a lys that has sb bamboo for only 245 but she closes before I get off work.

As I get older i find that I am less able to tolerate the foolishness that knitters seem to need to feel good about themselves. There was a time when no homemaker did not know both skills and use them to complete her household stores.

It's just time for people to grow up and get with the program. In these times, we can't afford foolishness anymore.

I don't know if my theory holds any water or not, but I kind of think that those knitters who are staunchly anti-crochet are those who don't realize that crochet has become what it is today. I think that they probably, due to the fact that their prejudice toward crochet hasn't allowed them to bother to see what crochet is like these days, have it in their minds that crochet is nothing but granny squares and things made from sewing the squares together. And back in the 70s it pretty much WAS like that unless you were into thread crochet, but not any more. If they choose to remain ignorant of what crochet has evolved into, then that's their loss, it's not the loss of those of us who DO know what crochet has become.

I love to crochet and do it constantly, everywhere, all the time :lol But I would love to be able to knit better. I learned the English way (the 'throwing' method) but would love to re-learn to knit the way people do here in Germany, using the Continental style. Amazingly, though, it's proving surprisingly hard to undo the mechanical processes I learned as a child: even though I don't knit well or fast using the English method, it's still incredibly difficult to un-learn it. :(

As far as crochet vs. knitting goes: I prefer knitting for most wearables. I recently got a subscription to a popular crochet mag and have spent a couple of days browsing through the back issues and there are very, very few wearables that I personally like. To me, crochet often seems to have that very lacy, tableclothy look that I just can't wear, or I think the stitches are too chunky-looking for pullover-style tops (that's just my opinon.) However, when it comes to accessories - hats, shawls, scarves, bags - I prefer crochet. That's not to say that these wearables aren't pretty: they just wouldn't suit my style or body shape.

I do think, though, that we are, ourselves, partially responsible for the bad reputation that crochet gets. That's why Cate Blanchett's infamous granny square dress made me cringe: it looked frumpy and ill-fitting, and just confirmed every bad preconceived notion people had of crochet. :(

Well, I just went to my 1st meeting of a local stitching group. I initally felt inferior as they were all knitting complex items, & talking of spinning & hand dying their own yarn. then I finished out the pocketbook I'd started @ the meeting, & started on a bootie, & the majority turned to me in amazment, & said maybe they needed to switch to crochet!

I've been over to Ravelry a lot lately and basically I find that both crafts are equally appreciated there. If anything, it's the crocheters that can't let it go and get themselves into a snit with the knitters! Where I DO find a problem is in many a LYS. The shop owners snub crocheters and have even refused to sell them yarn saying THEIR yarn is for knitting only, then redirecting them to craft stores like Michaels and Joanns. Erm, that's just dumb and could be one of the reasons yarns shops can't stay in business. Who says crocheters have to use plastic yarn and make only granny squares and TP covers? And anyway, I love granny squares and TP covers but that's not all I make. I make potholders and purses and afghans and oh, the list goes on.

I'm fortunate in that a new yarn store opened by me and she carries crochet patterns (not that I need any more!) and some of the most beautiful hand made hooks. They aren't priced and I'm afraid to ask the price but someday I'll own a few!! I think if we can just get the shop owners to stop spreading knit snobbery, we'd be OK.

Archived