Seraphina Shawl by Doni

jeannej

Here's my first attempt at the popular Seraphina Shawl by Doni. Though mine was a trepidatious start, having read the difficulty some have had, after setting my hook, it wasn't long before I built up momentum, flying through the pattern - I am very pleased with the results.

The photo, snapped on this drab and dreary morning, doesn't do the yarn a bit of justice, but it's JoAnn's lovely colorplaying Sensations Rainbow Boucle, worked with a 'K' hook.

post-29383-135897465465_thumb.jpg

Many thanks go out to Doni for her beautiful design, AmyS for her pattern rewrite, MimiFL for her graph, RoseRed for her tip toward a smoother fabric, and all who posted on this pattern, as I'm sure I must have read near every internet post on it! Thank you for looking at mine. :)

Hi Jeanne- Your finished shawl is very beautiful. You should wear it proudly.

I do have 2 questions if I may:

Did you use the hdc's?

How much yarn did it take in the Sensations with the K hook?

Thank you for sharing the info and photo.

Thank you, everyone! I really enjoyed working on this.

Hi Jeanne- Your finished shawl is very beautiful. You should wear it proudly.

I do have 2 questions if I may:

Did you use the hdc's?

How much yarn did it take in the Sensations with the K hook?

Thank you for sharing the info and photo.

Thanks, Renni, although I'll likely give it away.

Yes, I did use RedRose's tip for using hdc's to create a flat fabric (thanks again, RR). You'll find her blogged tip by clicking on the word 'tip' in my original post (below the photo). Note that the hdc's are used for all of the shells (from initial 'V' to full shell) except those that make up the point, which are to be worked in their original 'dc' state, as RoseRed specifies.

Oh, and I used the entire skein of Sensations Rainbow Boucle (853 yrds)

:manyheart

gorgeous!!

and thank you so much for the link to the graph, I might be able to make this now, I always got lost in the words:crocheting :think

Thanks Starr. I'm glad I added that helpful link then. I didn't use the graph, as I'm not familiar with working from one, but I did refer to the detailed photos a couple of times as I was getting underway.

You can do this, you know...Once you get a hook on what it takes to follow the 'sequence rows' when left on your own (after row-11), you'll be off and sailing, I'm sure!

Just remember that there are 4 increase points on each row where you add a dc (after the starting v-stitch, on each side of the point, and before the ending v-stitch).

The 'sequence' is how a new shell is borne. First starting as a 'baby' V-stitch and growing into its 'adult' counterpart (a full shell) within four rows (each one worked into the ch-sp of the other from the previous row). Everything in between is worked the same throughout.

Hope I didn't just muddy the waters with that ;)

That is gorgeous- well done! :cheer you are much braver than I- that pattern scares me! lol.

I received one of these in a swap a while back, done in the same color and yarn. It receives lots of compliments!

:day Thank you for all of your kind comments, my friends. It's so nice to be able to show something I've done to those that know their way through the loops of crochet. :hug

you are much braver than I- that pattern scares me! lol

LOL -Thanks, Sassy! Believe me, I started with a bit of trepidation myself, but once you get what the 'sequence rows' are about, it's a fun pattern (see post 9 of this thread). As far as the yarn, although I adapted to the boucle faster than I had anticipated, I imagine that it would be much easier using a less 'fluffy' yarn for the first time in order to see your stitches more clearly.

You really should give it a shot when you get a chance, though - after you get underway a bit, it's a breeze.

Thank you for the info Jeanne. Sure is a pretty shawl! :cheer:cheer

[Yes, I did use RedRose's tip for using hdc's to create a flat fabric (thanks again, RR). You'll find her blogged tip by clicking on the word 'tip' in my original post (below the photo). Note that the hdc's are used for all of the shells (from initial 'V' to full shell) except those that make up the point, which are to be worked in their original 'dc' state, as RoseRed specifies.

Oh, and I used the entire skein of Sensations Rainbow Boucle (853 yrds) /quote]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived