What would you do?

At my kids' elementery school there is a big dinner/auction night that is a major fundraiser for the school.

Every year the auction features a handmade afghan that has been made by the school Pastor's mother.

The pastor's mother passed away just over a year ago. She was in her late 90's.

I would like to make an afghan for the school auction this year, but I feel kind of funny about it. I don't want anyone thinking I am trying to take over a tradition or replace anyone.

I do not expect my work to bring in the thousands of dollars that her work did.

I was thinking about emailing Father P. and letting him know what I wanted to do and ask if it would be ok with him.

What would you do?

I like your idea too, Ratdog. I bet your pastor will appreciate your remembrance of his mother as well as welcome your desire to contribute to the auction.

Goodness, crocheting right through her 90's -how wonderful...Hope I'm able!

I would email and maybe say in honor of the late mother you would like to donate an afghan for the auction

I agree w/ crochetluvknot. she's,sadly, not there now, so as a way to remember her past gifts of her talent, as a way to continue her gracious gift to the school for fund raising, etc, what better way to honor her than to continue in her footsteps?

sandy

I think that is what I would do also (e-mail the pastor) and see what he says. I'm sure they will be happy to have items for the auction. You could do something as a tribute to the pastor's mother also (in her memory and her tradition).

(Should have read through the posts first; I agree with the other's sentiments).

I think your plan to email Father P. and ask him is an excellent plan. Sounds wonderful to me!

And he may say yes to your request. I think it is an excellent idea. It helps the school, and that's the main thing.

:manyheart

Being that he is a Man of God, I don't think that he would turn down your request, but more than likely be touched by your thoughtfulness. And what you are doing is very generous and kind. So I am sure that whatever afghan you make will be the hit of the auction and be treasured by the winning bidder.

Thank you all for your kind feedback.

I am thinking of the "Raspberries and Cream" pattern designed by Janie Herrin.

It is from "Heirloom Afghans to Knit and Crochet" and I found a link to the free pattern through CPC.

What a lovely idea. If I were you though, I would talk to the pastor in person instead of e-mailing him. This may be a "close-to-his heart" project and in remembrance of his mother, it would make it stay that way in her honor. :) Keep us posted how it goes.

There you go!!! Good deal, RD, now you can get started with Father's blessing. I can imagine you working your auction afghan in loving memory of as well as in prayer for your dearly departed predecessor. I'm sure your pastor's mother will be watching over you as you work each stitch. :hug

Archived