In need of ideas....

....to make as a wedding gift, I hope someone can help/inspire me.

On Sept 10th we've been invited to a wedding reception. The couple have lived together for years so I imagine they have everything you normally need when setting up house together. I know nothing about this couple apart from their names! The bride to be was a childhood friend of my husband, her Dad was his Dads best friend so we're on the "friends of the family" list I guess and I am totally stumped for an appropriate gift :think

HELP!!

let's how about an afghan,dishcloths,dishtowels,potholders,oven mitts,coasters. I'm sure I could go through a whole list also I'm sure more people will respond

What about lovers mittens? So they can hold hands in the winter when it´s very cold. I found a pattern at ravelry, but not in the etsy link which was attached. It should have been here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5392611&section_id=5332174

if you also knit, there are a bunch of free patterns for such mittens at internet :)

What about a crochet gift basket Spa Set? You could make several different cotton washcloths, soap savers, puffs, and get some really nice bath salts, bubbles, scented candles, or even a bottle of wine (if they like wine(Trader Joes has some very nice inexpensive wines)..ect?

Just a thought :-)

I don't want to make an afghan for people I don't know, they might not be the type to appreciate it plus I have no idea what colours would be acceptable to them. Also as we're unemployed at the moment I can't afford to go out and but that much yarn.

This might sound odd to all you crocheters out there but over here people don't "get" the dishcloths,kitchen towels & hotpads thing, I'm the only person I know who even makes my own washcloths. My best friend actually asked if it was because I couldn't afford proper ones :eek

Placemats and coasters will go on the possibly list :D

thanks for your input!

This might sound odd to all you crocheters out there but over here people don't "get" the dishcloths,kitchen towels & hotpads thing, I'm the only person I know who even makes my own washcloths. My best friend actually asked if it was because I couldn't afford proper ones :eek

:yes:yes:yes

Same thing in Ireland!

How about buying a simple white cotton tablecloth and crocheting a decorative/ornate border in white thread? You could sew the border on to the tablecloth hem with neat stitches. Add to this a couple of crocheted napkin rings around plain white cloth napkins - A nice table set that looks pricey but is relatively inexpensive.

I would do a small filet piece with their last name on it. It doesn't take very long and size 10 thread is pretty inexpensive. I have made many of these for wedding gifts. They are always appreciated. Here is a link I often go to when I need to do a name in filet... http://www.celticxstitch.ie/cgi-bin/stitches.cgi

:yes:yes:yes

Same thing in Ireland!

How about buying a simple white cotton tablecloth and crocheting a decorative/ornate border in white thread? You could sew the border on to the tablecloth hem with neat stitches. Add to this a couple of crocheted napkin rings around plain white cloth napkins - A nice table set that looks pricey but is relatively inexpensive.

I'll keep this in mind for someone else but this couple have a breakfast bar & no table :ohdear

and as for a name filet doily.... I asked hubby what their surname will be and he replied "Either Boot or Booth or something like that, I dunno his name's always just been Ian " He's a great help - NOT!!

Keep 'em coming folks, I really appreciate the input.

We have frugal friends and they didn't want people to stress financially about their wedding presents, so they suggested that their guests either refrain from giving presents but write something special on a card, donate to charity, or give something homemade.

From what I recall, they received:

"Snack" basket - jar of chai tea mix, jar of spiced coffee mix, homemade spiced nuts, cookies, fudge, and biscotti - great for picking at after the party-ing.

Christmas decorations - simple balls decorated with "love" quotes and the date of their wedding.

"First dinner" basket - jar of pasta, jar of homemade pasta sauce, olives, biscuit/bread mix.

CD mix of songs that were released the year they met.

Afghan - that was from me. I didn't know they'd like it, but they did and still use it to this day.

Basket of dog treats/toys - they had two dogs and of course they were ignored during all the weeks of preparation. I thought this was really thoughtful. The treats and toys were also hand made - and alternatively it'd work for cats too.

If I can remember any more, I'll post.

This may sound odd coming from a crocheter, but I wouldn't waste my time and labour making something for total strangers, since you cannot possibly know if they will appreciate it. You should give your handiwork where you can be sure it will be valued. Also, you have no idea of their taste in home decor, so how can you make something that will be to their taste/go with the rest of their house?In this situation I would give a set of towels, since everybody needs and uses towels. If you feel bath towels are too personal, you can give 2 sets of hand towels. And if the crochet element is a must, you can make narrow lace edgings. These are always useful for guests.

This may sound odd coming from a crocheter, but I wouldn't waste my time and labour making something for total strangers, since you cannot possibly know if they will appreciate it. You should give your handiwork where you can be sure it will be valued.

amdm has a point. It is something to think about. After years of giving handmade gifts, and spending all my time on that, I am more choosy about who I do things for. I don't mind doing little things, like those Ice Scraper Mitts I heard about on the Christmas 2009 CAL. Things that work up quickly are great.

Also the idea amdm had about crochet lace for the edges of bought towels is great. It won't take too long, it looks more personal and it is rather generic. Especially if you pick neutral colors.

Kookie,

Another thread with the same question - I posted a bunch of ideas in that one - http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103705

You are so good at applique stuff, I love the idea of whipping up a few nice appliques and attaching to some handtowels or placemats. I'm not sure how expensive linens are there but something in white cotton with a beautiful flower or butterfly.

The first dinner basket is a super Idea. I will keep that one in mind for myself for gifts. You could also just crochet a gift bag for a bottle and give them a nice bottle of wine. I think Lily has some nice ones on their site.

Rose Reds' idea of a doily is super! You can never go wrong with that - to expand on that - make 4 tiny doilies/coasters and put them in a small inexpensive basket with a flavored coffee.

Hope this helps,

TLOL,

Toni

What about a crochet gift basket Spa Set? You could make several different cotton washcloths, soap savers, puffs, and get some really nice bath salts, bubbles, scented candles, or even a bottle of wine (if they like wine(Trader Joes has some very nice inexpensive wines)..ect?

Just a thought :-)

I like this idea...

One of the best wedding gifts I ever received was a simple sewing basket with some hand-sewing supplies. I had no idea how much that basket would come in handy, but it has! Between sock mending, sewing buttons, etc., that little basket has probably gotten more use than any of the gifts I received.

One of my favourit wedding gifts was a binder with dividers that was filled with a friend's favorite recipies. I especially apprecaite the "quckie" supper ideas. It has been two years since our wedding, and I have added many recipies to this binder, and always have a quick "go to" for meals!

I would put this in a basket, and...if you wanted to crochet... make two towel toppers for the kitchen ( 1 hand towel makes two) or add two pretty wine glasses (check out the dollar tree or someplace like Tuesday morning for great deals. For less than $5 (depending on the price of the glasses) you have a "personallized gift".

P.S. As an added touch, you could always decorate the binder.

Good Luck!

The couple have lived together for years so I imagine they have everything you normally need when setting up house together.

I think people are missing this. They've already had first dinners, probably already have a sewing basket, lots of cookbooks, etc.

I know you said you don't want to do an afghan and can't afford the yarn. However do you have lots of leftovers? Maybe you could make a small throw afghan. Some patterns to use:

Amber Waves Afghan Square

Circle of Friends Square

Fisherman's Ring Square

Nordic Star Afghan Square

All from Priscilla's Crochet

You could make a square in a couple of colors or make each square a different solid color.

If you have enough, you could make matching lap afghans, just reverse the colors.

They are in England, I can't imagine them not loving a small afghan curl under come winter.

Good luck!

A small gift I have done, and seen appreciated is a basket of crackers, cheese, or other simple picnic type items to eat & drink that the bride and groom can take to thier room that night after the party. I know that I did not get time to eat properly at my wedding, and after the champagne it would have been nice to have something real to eat that night.

A girlfriend of mine never got a shower, so I grabbed a few of the ladies before the wedding and we had a makeshift one in the brides room. I had brought little snack cakes and punch drink boxes. She said that her & hubby ended up eating the leftovers after the party. I wish now I had done something more substantial.

Since they have already lived together a long time I would make something to celebrate the special occasion--

I like the idea posted above of a basket gift...kitchen towels topped in crochet, 2 wine glasses, some cheese & crackers with some grapes, maybe a romantic cd of music.

Or the filet name gift would be very special if you can do some research to get their correct name. Or make a filet crochet of the wedding date since you know that info.

A gift certificate for dinner together is usually a hit. Crochet a lacy little drawstring bag to hold the gc.

When we were invited to a wedding for someone we didn't know very well (we are friends of one of the parents and they were from a second marriage) I crocheted a dozen Christmas ornaments. Hint, hint your pif I sent you.

A gift hubby and I received and still use all the time is a small cooler. It's perfect for two different beverages. Which reminds me I have a wedding coming up in September to.

Archived