How Did Everybody learn to knit

fc1123

well I'm trying to learn to knit unfortunately I can't get past the slipknot I've tried the youtube videos I'm thinking I might have to take a class so my question is How did you all learn to knit?

They had a class at our library and I learned the basics there. It was $10 for six weeks. Quite a bargain. I guess we just paid for our yarn and needles, which were included in the price.

:manyheart

My Mom taught all us girls how to knit, crochet and sew.

I had trouble with the crochet and forget sewing, still don't like it.

She would start us when we were about 10. I did nothing but knit till about 18 years ago, then picked up crocheting.

I am just now getting back into it.:hook

My mom, too, taught my sisters and me. The crocheting I took to immediately, but the knitting I just could never get. It frustrated us both so we dropped it. Then I saw a sweater n a magazine cover a few years ago that was so beautiful, I had to relearn. So when Mom came for her next visit, we practiced till I got it. That was about 4 years ago. When she was here for her winter visit this year, she saw a blanket I was knitting that she liked so much, she took her knitting back up.

Tampa Doll, she's a great seamstress, too, and like you, I could never get that either. Although I'm starting to think maybe I need to master that, too. Patty

yeah I'm thinking of taking a class at a yarn shop since it charges $10 and for the life of me I can't seem to get it without seeing it in person

My mother tried to teach me when I was a kid....I'm left-handed and she was right-handed. Needless to say, I didn't get the hang of it then. Later, after my Mom passed away, I took all of her needles and was determined to learn. I took a class at our local yarn store, and was taught continental.....I have been knitting for about 6 years.

many years ago I bought a how to book and needles and tried to teach myself. of course the book was in English style and it just didn't click with my brain. About 3 years ago I found knittinghelp.com and it was all in the videos. I taught myself continental style first.

From books, the Internet and a whole lot of practice. I still feel like maybe I'm up to an Advanced Beginner stage and not much further, although when I think about it, I know a good bit. I still rely on my books all the time, though.

I first tried to learn from my sister & some booklettes. I got part of it figured out, and made a few scarves but still didn't feel confident, and it went so slowly...

Finally I took a beginner class last month at the LYS. I have mastered knit, purl, seed stich, garter, stockinette, ribbing, cast on and bind off. I learned that somehow I had started twisting my stitches, and got that fixed.

My real goal is to knit socks. So I signed up for the sock knitting class this month. I am really excited about it. Yesterday I got an e-mail that the owner of the LYS is retiring, and that she will be closing the store later this summer. Just when I was getting excited about it and feeling like I was ready to take the more advanced classes...Hopefully this will not affect the sock class I already bought my materials for. (the classes were free with the purchase of a book and materials, so I've already spent about $50 on this class)

My real goal is to knit socks. So I signed up for the sock knitting class this month. I am really excited about it. Yesterday I got an e-mail that the owner of the LYS is retiring, and that she will be closing the store later this summer. Just when I was getting excited about it and feeling like I was ready to take the more advanced classes...Hopefully this will not affect the sock class I already bought my materials for. (the classes were free with the purchase of a book and materials, so I've already spent about $50 on this class)

Sorry....I don't mean to hijack this thread....but, don't give up on socks....try this site....It is wonderful. It has tutorials for double point, 2 at a time on one circular needle and one sock at a time on 2 circular needles.

don't worry about that I love hearing suggestions about other things knitting now who on youtube has good knitting videos

well I'm working on casting on I am getting the part about how to hold the yarn now I need to learn how to use the needles

I learned from the DVD I Can't Believe I'm Knitting In Motion featuring Melissa Leapman her DVD I Can't Believe I'm Crocheting In Motion taught me to crochet to. So I owe being able to crochet and knit to Melissa Leapman! I just got in the mail this week her DVD I can't believe I'm knitting cables, bobbles & lace I am actually able to knit with the cable needle to thanks to her.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished up the sock knitting class. I have officially made 1 sock. :D I am not sure when I will get around to it's mate, since I am not totally crazy about it, and it is wool so I won't need it for about 6 months. I was so proud though, I did it!!! We used the basic sock pattern from I Can't Believe I'm knitting Socks. It was so much easier than I thought it would be. I am bummed that there will be no more classes, as the store is closing, but I really feel like the 2 I took gave me a great basis and start at knitting.

Long time ago when I was very young I had a babysitter she brought her knitting when she used to watch me . and I already knew how to crochet from my grandma ,so I taught her how to crochet and she taught me how to knit :yes

• 1 month later...

I learnt to crochet when I was 4 yrs old by sitting looking at picts in a "how to" book (looking back, was a few things i did differently but have since been corrected thanks to this wonderful forum :) ).

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, this method of learning did not work for me learning to knit.

I have tried different books, videos, youtube, asking folks (they would say "sure I can show you" but never found time to do it). over the last 30+ years. Two months ago, the local parks and rec came to my rescue tho.

They offered a class on the 1st and 3rd thurs from 1-3 at a local library for "seniors" that are 50 and older at the price of $3.00 for all 6 classes. I am only 40, but they let me fill the last space for the class and my teacher(s) have been awsome.

The first class we learnt the french cast on method, and how to knit. 2nd class we learnt how to bind off and purl. 3rd class was for a hat, and we learnt to work w/ 2 strands held tog., decrease. Though it wasn't scheduled, one woman was "slipping" her stitches when she got in a hurry, so they showed us how to do that.

The 4th class was turned into a "finish projects" class since 1 woman wanted to do a 4th hat, 1 woman had not finished her hat, a 3rd woman wanted to start a skinny scarf to go w/ the hat she made for her granddaughter, and 1 woman who had some previous knit experience and wanted to learn to do socks, had a pair of socks she's working on. I'd finished the skinny scarf and the hat, and was working on another scarf using the knit 1 row, purl 1 row for 29 stitches just to practice and try to get gauge constant. was also trying to figuire out how to hold the yarn continentally(?) since the teacher had suggested that I probably would be good at doing it that way due to my crochet ability.

the teacher and I did take a few mins for me to show her a crochet method (a woman here inspired me to try and learn broomstick/jiffy lace after I saw the afghan she had made using it..) I had been also trying to learn to do the past week by making a scarf.

Next class we are suppose to learn to make a dishcloth w/ yarn overs and cotton yarn. The pattern is also suppose to be useful for making babyghans. I love the class so much and dread when it's over :(

Sorry my response is so long, I'm just enjoying the class so much and now i can actually say "I CAN KNIT!!! " :D

Sandy :knit

• 1 month later...

lol i just started to look into learning today. I been wanting to for a while..just never motivated to. So todayI looked up How to knit videos on Utube... and Considering I have no Knitting needles yet. I just took 2 pencils nd Tryed to pratice.. I got the cast on thing. just do not think Pencils r the good choice for the other prt lol as i can't get it to work.

I hope to learn all i can from this group. As i got Crochet down.. now i wnt to Knit as well

I taught myself over many years through books.

No one I knew knitted or could teach me.

I tried several different knitting books til I found one with illustrations that I could understand. But I can't remember which one of my books that was........now.

Tammy

Archived