Red Heart has an odor...

Maybe it's me, but, I've noticed an odor in RHSS lately. Has anyone else had this problem? It's different colors, different dye lots, and from different stores. I know this sounds weird but it kind of smells like fish oil. Please tell me it's not just my nose.:eek

Please be carefull

if you notice a funny smell don't use it; take it back and get a refund

I was using simply soft's new eco yarn

It is reycled from plastic bottles

I am allergic to plastic and etc

I got really sick with a head ache ; had problems breathing and itching like crazy I got hives.

so,

needless to say I called the company they sent me the ones that I had tried before and had no problems out of

So,

if you have a weakened immune system and many dieasesa and condtions .like I do.

don't use it.

hugs pinkroses

I did notice that the odor washes out, it's just annoying while I'm working with it. I love how they keep raising the price but the quality goes down. Ugh.

I know, it's awful when they raise prices on things and you get less (like what they did to Dannon Yogurt years ago).

Perhaps if you wash it before using it? I've heard that if you put the skein in an old stocking and pop in the machine, it will hold it together.

I've never noticed a smell with red heart, unless it's a very very recent thing. I use RHSS for most projects and haven't had any issues.

I've never noticed a smell with red heart, unless it's a very very recent thing. I use RHSS for most projects and haven't had any issues.

Ditto. I usually run most washables I give away thru the washer and dryer anyway...

I haven't noticed a smell w/ it when its used under normal circumstances. Tho, if you end up burning it (don't ask, long story, and it was NOT my yarn that got burnt) it can smell REALLY FISHY!! like old sardines or sumfin. Since acrylic is petroleum based, that may have something (don't quote me tho, :) ) to do w/ a smell (??)

Sandy

I haven't noticed anything different and I just bought some a few weeks ago. I am a big RH fan and use it for most everything. But, as pinkroses has stated and warned, for those of us that do have health issues, we probably should pay closer attention to these things.

:think Now not only will I be petting the yarns in the store, I will be doing a sniff test too (after scanning the aisle to make sure no one is looking) :lol.

I have a new skein here... *sniff sniff*

...it just smells like new cloth to me? :think

What color are you using? Maybe it has something to do with the dye for that color?

It's been all different colors. Though I do notice it more with the darker colors. I stocked up on Bonbon Print b/c AC Moore is not carrying it anymore and it really smelled strong. White doesn't smell so bad but it's there in the background.

Bought some Red Heart last week. No smell I could notice. Unlike many of you , I love Red heart yarns. They have so many new varieties, and even the old standby super saver is a great yarn. Yes, I know it is "stiff" , but it doesn't split, gives great stitch definition, wears forever and once washed, is very soft.

After reading this thread, I just HAD to go through and sniff my skeins :lol Looks like I don't have any stinky ones, and I bought a few skeins on Saturday... of course it probably doesn't help that my nose is all stuffy today either :P

Well I always new Red Heart "Stunk" LOL!

Alot of it could be dye issues, I had some Lion Brand Color Waves yarn that made my eyes water and itch, and my skin itched too. And it was acrylic too. Same wither their Moonlight Mohair, other varieties that make haven't effected me.

My boyfriend got a good laugh tonight, he couldn't understand why I was smelling my yarn! Hehehe. No stinky smell here, I just picked up some red heart yarn yesterday. Smells like the store to me!

Gosh, now I'm always going to be sniffing my yarn :lol

I've never noticed a smell, I just bought some RH last week guess I'll be sniffing it when I get home LOL

Count me as someone who loves RH though and uses it all the time

ITA, I've never noticed an odor. Glad I haven't since it's my favorite yarn.

Archived