Susan Bates Bamboo and Aluminum Hooks

For the past couple of years or so, I've been getting a sore hand from crocheting -- probably shouldn't be much of a surprise at my advanced age -- and find I need to stop for a week or two every so often. Not easy when you're so addicted to hooking.

Today I saw that Herrschner's is selling Susan Bates aluminum and bamboo hooks and wonder whether they might help with my problem.:scrachin I am strictly a Bates hooker, so the aluminum part is shaped right for me; however, I have some concern about the place where the bamboo hits the aluminum. Would it irritate?

Has anyone used these? If so, I'd like to hear how you like them.

I have been using these hooks for a while now. The softness and the warmth of the wood is great! I bought a set for my mom, she has fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel, arthritis, and these hooks are the only ones she uses now. I have also started adding polymer clay to the handles of my thread hooks, which has helped a lot.

I have arthritis in both hands and thought I would have to quit crocheting at one point. My hubby bought me a full set of the Clover Brand Soft Hooks for my birthday-they are wonderful! The larger grips are just what I needed!

I have a whole set of these, and they are just perfect! Before, I used to have to buy those foam rubber covers to put on all my hooks, but this solves the issue.

They have them at my ACMoore but they aren't with the rest of the hooks so they were a little hard to find. I have two of them and I like them. If you want, I can pick one up for you to see if you like them. They are $2.79 but I usually have a 40% off coupon. I checked at Herrschners and the shipping would be $3.00. Let me know what you want to do.

Donna Marie

I have a full set and I just love the warmth of the wood and it seems to (in Mary Jo Land anyway) give a little as I work.

I have problems with both hands and I am very comfortable with these hooks.:hook

I got one in a swap, and agree with the others comments re: warmth and comfort. My only gripe, and it's very small, is that I wish the aluminum part was a little shorter, since I tend to hold my hook a little higher than everyone else, I guess, and when I'm holding it, there's more distance between the head of the hook and the wooden handle than when I hold a regular aluminum hook. But it's not uncomfortable.

Patty

Thanks so much, all of you, for your feedback on the hooks. And, thank you, too, Donna Marie, for your very kind offer. But I have already ordered sizes G through K from Joann's, which has them on sale now for $1.49 apiece, and I'm really looking forward to trying them. Visits to a so-called hand therapist and the silly gloves she fitted me with were absolutely useless, so here's hoping these will keep me hooking without pain.

I got one in a swap, and agree with the others comments re: warmth and comfort. My only gripe, and it's very small, is that I wish the aluminum part was a little shorter, since I tend to hold my hook a little higher than everyone else, I guess, and when I'm holding it, there's more distance between the head of the hook and the wooden handle than when I hold a regular aluminum hook. But it's not uncomfortable.

Patty

I do the same thing!!

I love them too. They are now the only hooks I use.

Buy one, and see how you like them. Use a coupon and get 40% off, so they won't be that expensive.

I really like the way they feel in my hand. Also, I can crochet a lot longer without hand pain.

Give them a try. You will love them.

:manyheart

The aluminum and bamboo hooks are the only ones I use lately. I find it much more comfortable. The only problem I have is my dog seems to be attracted to them. I have to hide it whenever I stop crocheting or he is off with it and then its garbage.

I find that the shaft is just a touch thinner than a standard Bates and the head has a slightly different but awesome shape to it.

For me - the bamboo doesn't come up quite high enough so I added a little foam and a gel pencil grippy and it's my most favorite hook now. The bamboo is so lightweight that it doesn't add to hand stress.

Eventually, I'm ging to have the whole set.

I have one of these and love it. When I saw Afghaniac's post that they are on sale at Joanns I immediately placed an order for other sizes. I too wish the aluminum was shorter, but even so they really do help with hand stress.

I have one of these and love it. When I saw Afghaniac's post that they are on sale at Joanns I immediately placed an order for other sizes. I too wish the aluminum was shorter, but even so they really do help with hand stress.

Me too! lol

You know I have never used a Bates hook, all we have around here is Boye,..BUT, I have my Jimbo tow hooks, and use them most exclusively, unless it requires a larger hook, then I use my boye, but I usuallly only use a H or I hook..good luck, I find mortin always helps me for the hand pain..just me though..

HUGS

JoAnn

Archived