Potholder-have you seen this before? (My Pattern)

stillwjo

I'm in the middle of projects right now but I had the itch to crochet something tonight so I picked up some cotton and took off. I started with a magic circle and put 12 dc's in it. Then, I alternated fpdc's and dc's in the spaces of the other dc's. I tried to add to much to my first attempt and it got all wavy. I took out the extra fpdc's and it laid down quite nicely. It's simple enough I'm sure it's been done before but I haven't actually seen a pattern for it. It's thick enough I won't have to add another layer, which is great since I really don't like sewing things together.

What do you think?

1st attempt:

th_100_7318.jpg

Version 2:

th_100_7329.jpg

th_100_7336.jpg

Here's my "corrected" pattern that got the "flatter" hotpad.

Peaches & Cream Cotton

G hook

Rnd 1: Magic Circle then ch2. 11 dc in circle. Pull tight. Join in top of ch2. (12 sts)

Rnd 2: Ch2. fpdc around first dc. *dc in the space between the dcs. fpdc around next dc.* Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (24 sts)

Rnd 3: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 2 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (36 sts)

Rnd 4: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 3 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (48 sts)

Rnd 5: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 4 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (60 sts)

Rnd 6: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 5 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (72 sts)

Edging: Ch1. sc in each space between dcs and/or fpdcs. Join in Ch1 and finish off. (72 sts)

To make the other one:

Rnd 5: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 2 dc spaces. fpdc around middle dc of previous row. dc in next 2 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (72 sts)

Rnd 6: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 3 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc. dc in next 3 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (96 sts)

Edging: Ch1. sc in each dc around. Join in Ch1 and finish off. (96 sts)

In the 2nd one, you can see that I increased too quickly so I got waves.

I think if I were to do it again, I'd do it this way (haven't tried it yet):

Rnd 5: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next dc space. fpdc around middle dc of previous row. dc in next dc space. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (48 sts)

Rnd 6: Ch2. fpdc around fpdc. *dc in next 2 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc. dc in next 2 dc spaces. fpdc around fpdc*. Repeat * to * around. Join in top of ch2. (72 sts)

Edging: Ch1. sc in each dc around. Join in Ch1 and finish off. (72 sts)

Still might be a little of but at least it should lay down and it will have a little more to it than the other one.

I haven't gone through the whole pattern again but I did do the first couple rows to make sure I had my Ch's and fpdc's in the right places.

Let me know what you think, please. this is my first real pattern...

thanks

That looks really nice!! Is it "thick" enough to use as a "trivet"??

Thanks

Yes. That's the best part. The front of the fpdc makes raised lines on top but the backside is fairly solidly covered by "bumps" that pretty much make it at least double thick. It took less than an hour and there's no sewing!

I like it...the first one especially. I just saw one like that this morning while I was looking through patterns on the Internet. Don't ask me now where it was though!

• 2 weeks later...

:bounceOh, I really like it, especially the second version... you are very creative and I like the cotton thread you used. Do you have a pattern? I'd like to make some of these for friends and of course, for myself :hook

• 1 month later...

Archived