Granny Square Bordom

norwinmom

Question

What do you do when you are making the same square over and over again and it gets boring? I'm working on an afghan for a friend, and I have a deadline being that her b-day is Feb. 18th. I had to make 88 squares and I think I have about 17 done. I'm hoping that I can get in done in time but I only seem to get 2 or 3 squares done a night. My usual work shift is 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. so by the time I get home sometimes cook like I did tonight, or eat and relax there is not much time left to crochet. And when I work on the same thing over and over it gets real boring. But I know when it's done, she's just going to love it.

Well instead of reading posts here and making them, I should get to work on it. :hook

23 answers to this question

This is why I've never done a traditional granny square afghan. I get discouraged making square after square, and knowing that when I finish, I'll have a big pile of squares!

I've made join-as-you-go granny square afghans, and had fun with those. At least when you are finished crocheting that last square, you have an afghan!

**** @ the song..that's funny

Usually I like to work with a lot of color and watch T.V. while I'm doing it. Also I visualize the end product or visualize how happy the person is going to be when they get it. I'm also giving myself deadlines so I keep motivated to do it.

I know how you feel. I finished an afghan in August for my DS & DIL's first anniversary. We dubbed it the humungoghan. I had myself on a schedule of 10 (7") squares a week. In hindsight, I think I could have given myself a break in between by assembling a row, then going back to squares. Definately leave yourself enough time to put it together - especially since the holiday season is starting soon. Good luck!

I know exactly how you feel. Im working on a afghan at the moment, I have untill feb to complete it but it does get alittle boring making the same squares over and over again. But Im going to finish because I know my friend will love it (its a gift for her first baby, due 22nd of feb).

So when I get bored with the squares, I will put them away and work on a different project.

I get the same way! I tend to squeeze small projects (hats, etc.) in for immediate satisfaction when I'm doing a tedious project. I will make myself do "x number" of squares before I can do two or three rounds of something I WANT to be working on.

I finally finished my last square!:yay Now it's time for joining. I'm so relived to have finished all the squares. I was telling a friend about it on the phone yesterday and now she wants one too! Oh, well. At least I have a good year to make it for her. :lol

I hear you! I once made Grace a jacket that had 163 3" granny squares. It took FOREVER and it was a longtime until I could bring myself to make a Granny again! I would work on them while I watched movies and while I watched TV.

Add me to the list of us who feel your pain. I have no suggestions for you other than to keep reminding yourself that she'll like it when you give it to her. Doing something special for the people we care about is what makes it special to me. I'm working on a granny spread (for a queen bed) for my DS & DIL for their anniversary in August, so I should have plenty of time to finish it. It's my traveling project at the moment or I make a square when I only have a bit of time to work on something. Good luck with your project.

I've been trying to set aside 2 hours a night on it and I think I'm going to use my next 2 days off and work pretty much all day on it. She's Irish, and if I can't get it done in time for her b-day I can give it to her for St. Pattys day :clover.

I usually work several projects at once and if I get really far behind I set aside a whole day to work on it (sucks trying to catch up on everything else afterword but it works). Oh and watch movies while doing it helps.

Good luck!

I so feel your pain.....I started an afghan that has about 289 squares. My mom decided she wanted 5" squares (each then outlined in black). I'm a little less than half way done but I'm DETERMINED to finish this by Mother's day. I try to do at least one square a night and then work on something else - either sewing some of the squares together or working on a filet piece that is more challenging.

Don't worry, you'll get there and the person will LOVE it.

Krista

When I have a project with a lot of repitition, I put on the TV and just listen to it as I merrily work my hook along ... in the spring it's Major League Baseball (always a game on in the afternoons) ... or a cooking show ... Dog Whisperer is another favorite ... and when I want to hear the bad guys go down I put on COPS.

Happy Hooking ...

:cheer

Sing with me ... sung to the tune of '99 Bottle of Beer On The Wall'

88 granny squares to crochet,

88 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

87 granny squares to crochet

87 granny squares to crochet,

87 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

86 granny squares to crochet

86 granny squares to crochet,

86 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

85 granny squares to crochet

OKAY ... I DON'T HEAR YOU SINGING LOUD ENOUGH ! ! !

LOL!

:rofl I have heard it all now :rofl:lol

When I have a project with a lot of repitition, I put on the TV and just listen to it as I merrily work my hook along ... in the spring it's Major League Baseball (always a game on in the afternoons) ... or a cooking show ... Dog Whisperer is another favorite ... and when I want to hear the bad guys go down I put on COPS.

Happy Hooking ...

Sing with me ... sung to the tune of '99 Bottle of Beer On The Wall'

88 granny squares to crochet,

88 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

87 granny squares to crochet

87 granny squares to crochet,

87 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

86 granny squares to crochet

86 granny squares to crochet,

86 granny squares,

work that hook,

make it around ...

85 granny squares to crochet

OKAY ... I DON'T HEAR YOU SINGING LOUD ENOUGH ! ! !

LOL!

I know it can get boring so I always do the first round of every square. Tie off, and then the second row of every square, tie off, etc. so when I am done with the last row I am DONE!! Of course, my pattern allows that as I change colors. This way I never get the feeling that I am done because none of my squares are all the way done before the others. I just finished 12 12" squares tonight and I am so happy to be able to put my little afghan for Victory Junction together!!! Try to keep going....yours will be beautiful when it is done!! :hook

I feel your pain!!! I should be working on Valentine Hearts right now and I'm a bit burnt out on them!

On your grannies...are they all the same color or can you play with the color arrangements? Sometimes that helps. Also,like previously suggested..set little goals to get so many done and take them with you. Hook on your lunch hour, in the car waiting in traffic..you might want to start a small project that you can finish fast just to give yourself a bit of a break from the grannies.

And if you don't get the ghan assembled...give your friend the squares and then sit down together and have a fun time sewing the squares into her afghan.

Good Luck!!

Debbie

Oh I can so empathize! I have a really hard time continuing projects if they've gotten boring. My "me" time is at a premium so I don't want to spend what little I do have doing something I'm not enjoying. I would frog it and find a pattern that she'd still love but that I could love doing just as much.

Archived