Hobby Lobby Yarn Emergency! Please Read!

CureMinorWounds

I've recently learned that Hobby Lobby is going to be getting rid of an entire aisle of yarn, and while I have heard that we may be getting it back at the end of the season, I can't imagine Hobby Lobby doing something that major and then bringing back all the yarn they clearanced a major amount.

I already know that some of the nicer yarns are going down, if you've shopped Hobby Lobby at all, you may know some of the names, Cameo and Featherwisp are two of the ones I know are using at least some if not all of their stock.

There may be time to save the yarn! If you'll send and e-mail to the Hobby Lobby Headquarters and let them know what a wonderful selection they have and how much you love it, maybe we can get them to change their minds.

Please, I love the yarn, and it makes me sad every day to know that its going to go, help me save it! Go to HobbyLobby.com and contact them!

Thanks for anything guys! :yes

Edit: Well, if I find anything else out I guess I'll let you know, maybe my boss didn't know what he was talking about when he told me about the change? I don't know anymore, humph.

Edit 2: Alright, I found something out! We are losing a whole aisle of yarn, and it isn't going to come back, its getting replaced by rugs and pillows, so there will only be 1 aisle of yarn. My district manager assured me that it was going to happen, and sure enough, today on my truck day I got the reset in the company mail. This time losing only one side of an aisle, once the warehouse gets rid of most of their overstock, the other side of the aisle will go. I suppose it isn't very nice of me to say I told you so huh?

My son and his gf both work at HL and neither of them have said a word about this to me, and I am sure that they would have knowing the yarn addict that I am. I will definitely be asking him about this, in fact I am trying to get in touch with him right now :lol.

I do know that our hl and the one that my son works at did clearance a bunch of yarn simply because they were remodeling that area, and brought a bunch of the yarn that was clearanced back. Maybe that is what your local store is doing now.

People calm down - have you not noticed that the craft stores bump up the yarn supplies in the winter and reduce them in the summer to make room for other seasonal items. While we do not think of this as a seasonal craft the stores do - the yarn will be back in late summer and we can get bargains while they reduce the size of the department for spring. You can also always order on line watching for free shipping!

:cheer:clap:yay Good news folks. I talked to my son about this and he said that he hasn't heard anything about this and gave me the information of who to contact in regards to this matter. So I contacted HL via email and this is the response I got back from them.:cheer:clap:yay

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am glad to hear that you enjoy shopping at Hobby Lobby and I will forward your comments to the appropriate personnel.

I am not sure where you received your information, but Hobby Lobby is not reducing the size of our yarn department. Any help you can give us in dispelling this rumor would be greatly appreciated.

Your feedback on the performance of our stores is very important. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with our store and giving us the opportunity to improve our service for you.

Thank you for shopping at Hobby Lobby!

Wayne Huffling

Hobby Lobby Customer Service Manager

If they're reducing Yarn Bee yarns, it won't be any skin off my nose. I don't care for the majority of that brand line..(exception made for the ILTY variations) and they cut a lot of the other major brands (such as Paton's) when Yarn Bee was introduced at HL a few years ago.

Also, this is the time of the year when retailers are trying to reduce their inventory. They pay taxes based on what is in stock at the end of January (I think that's the cutoff.)

My local Hobby Lobby is also going to be moving soon. Right now it's about 3 miles up a very busy street. Soon they'll be moving to a shopping center about 3/4 mile from me. I'm expecting to see their inventory decrease in anticipation of the move.

My store puts things on clearance for unbelievable prices and that's when I stock up. They do it twice a year, so they may be getting ready for a big clearance. Haven't shopped lately, so I don't know.

It goes with the change of seasons, and I just love it.

I have a gift card just waiting for a sale. :lol

:manyheart

• 1 month later...

I just finished doing the reset, and my boss has confirmed that they're clearing out that yarn for good and shrinking their inventory permanently. We are gaining a few neat new yarns, but I hate to have such a small selection right now. What do you guys think of the change?

I just finished doing the reset, and my boss has confirmed that they're clearing out that yarn for good and shrinking their inventory permanently. We are gaining a few neat new yarns, but I hate to have such a small selection right now. What do you guys think of the change?

Just curious.. what yarn are you referring to when you say "that yarn" ?

• 2 months later...

I manage the needlework dept at our HL and we just got done doing a major reset of the entire department. I lost half an aisle of yarn, most of it was stuff that no one ever seemed to want to buy. In a few of the styles we got rid of I had never ordered this yarn in 3 years others I may have ordered one or two colors, ever. We are getting new colors of several of the ILTY brands, a new line of baby bamboo from Paton I believe, some new colors of the silk bamboo we carry already. We also started carrying Deborah Norville yarn. I'll try to post when we start receiving this stuff in the stores so you can all go have a peek.

Letters are good. Buying is better. If yarn sales are good, they'll save that yarn.

Could this be regional, per store (based on the sales at that store)? I've seen more yarn at our Hobby Lobby in the last few months. They still have 3 aisles ---6 aisle sides & have stocked more "I love this yarn" than the last time I was there. I was on a yarn diet but was in Hobby Lobby last week to buy some Spa yarn. Our store also stocked more cotton yarn (season related probably).

We are in the process of resting several Departments. Home accents has a big one going on as does jewlery, crafts and scrapbooking. I just got done with 2 in the needlework dept. Floral has one coming as does fabrics. Plus to add some spice to your shopping pleasure we are starting to phase out summer/garden and bring in fall/christmas. We already have half an aisle of christmas ribbon put out and several kinds of Chrismas Trees stored in the back room.

That always bugged me about Hobby Lobby -- Christmas in springtime. I was a huge HL shopper, and it would frustrate me to see them putting out Christmas items in the spring or summer. I just want to enjoy the current season and not be inundated with Christmas before summer arrives.

I know some people like to start Christmas crafts early, but I just found it overbearing. Pretty soon, there will just be aisles of Christmas items year 'round. :think

My HL in NW Cincinnati has reduced the size of the yarn dept. Maybe it is store by store. The mark up may be too low for the space, other items can carry a higher markup (profit) so in these economic times, they go with what makes money.

I had to swing by my HL Friday night, and noticed that they've reduced the yarn section there also. There was an aisle and a half. Kind of shocking at first, but not really so bad as most of the yarn that was gone was novelty stuff - the 'bad hair day yarn' as someone had called it :lol I did notice that they had some new Deborah Norville yarn and it looked like some new Yarn Bee brand wool that was nice. Also had the new sport, wool and even sock yarns of the ILTY brand. All in all, there was less space but it was filled with better yarns. So, not too bad a trade in my opinion. I may be a bit biased though, because I scored a Sugar and Cream combo pack on sale - marked down from 23.99 to 14.93 :lol

The Christmas crafts have to be out in summer for the folks who do winter craft shows. I usually buy my Christmas craft supplies when they go on sale in late December/early January.

Archived