Which way is quicker to complete an afghan crochet in 1 piece or in 12" squares?

Not real sure that is an easy question to answer because i think that would depend on what pattern you used. and if you can carry it w/ you to work on when not at home. I just finished a lapghan for the nursing home in 2 wks. It was the number 4 stitch from "101 stitches for afghans" in a solid color and i was able to take w/ me to work on. I also have a hexagon afghan thats gotten a big large to take w/ me (making it to cover completely, and im 6' tall). also have several square afghans that I'm working on... the solid covered 1's go fast, the 1's w/ several colors tend to go slow.

Sandy

I think it may end up being around the same amount of time. With a solid piece you have to keep track of the stitches and it goes a bit slower once you get going and have to keep turning it. Making squares might go fast, but then you have to take time to figure out which squares are going where and then get them sewed together. Either way, it would take you at least a couple weeks to finish, depending on how fast you crochet and how much time you have to work on it.

Here's a nice vague answer for you....depends on the ghan :P An afghan made of simple 12" squares will probably be much quicker than an aran style one piece. But on the other hand, an afghan made in one piece, in one color and with a large hook would probably be faster.

For me, personally, I find that making an afghan in one piece seems to go faster for me. When it is all in front of me, I can watch it 'grow'. And when you make that last stitch, it is pretty much done! :yes:yay

If I am making squares, I tend to keep the finished part of it in a bag or put up, so I don't really see my progress. Then when I make that last stitch on that last square, I look at all the squares and think, bummer, not done yet. Now I have to join them all and then do the edging! :eek

I think a lot of it is psychological though. I tend to get tired/bored after making the same square umpteen times! Where as my one piece grows, I can see my progress better. :manyheart

Whether I do it in one piece or in squares, I weave in my ends as I go, pretty much square by square or every 6-10 inches of work. Then I don't have to take the time to do it at the end. Because depending on what you are making, there can be a cazillion of them! :yuck:yes

One piece seem to go faster for me. Although it might be in my head, since I do not like the assembly part of any project

This is me too. I like one piece afghans and can do a baby size in a week or so. Just the thought of assembling all the pieces for an afghan just makes me quiver.

:manyheart

I prefer the Squares myself and I now put my rows together as soon as I get enough squares to do so.

I use a great technique I learned somewhere on the web and after I crochet on that last row I just have the vertical rows to sc together. it is very quick that way. With a square ghan, I get the feeling of starting something new with every square so the tedium factor does not set in too quickly.

I get very, very bored working on one long project forever and ever. I can do mindless on occasion so it is not that but I just never seem to see any progress on a big one-piece effort. I might try a panel ghan one of these days (besides the flannelghans of course) just to see how they work up. (not a MAM though, they kill me for some reason)

I tend to go with "depends on the pattern". Stitch, color, yarn, joining method and boredom factor all come into play for me. I do a few squares, or make a swatch and decide from there if I want to make a whole afghan or not.

I think one piece is faster, but hook size, yarn weight and number of strands of yarn have a greater impact. The fastest afghan I've made was with two strands of worsted weight with a simple stitch pattern and a large hook. (It has the advantage of being very warm, too.)

I think 1 piece is quicker. I guess it kind of depends on your crochet skills. I have a hard time getting all the squares to be the same size, and then there are all those ends to weave in. But I've only made one ghan out of 8 in. squares (with 3 colors in each one), and that was early in my crocheting life, so maybe I'd be better at it now. I did learn to compare the size of the squares to each other before completing 20 of them. :hook Can you say overnight stay at the frog pond. :blush LOL

I suppose technically there are more stitches required to sew/crochet motifs together, BUT you might be apt to make time for 'just one square' in odd moments when you would be less inclined to dragging out your whole blanket, so from that point of view it might be quicker.

I like one piece better, but it seems to me that they both can take about the amount of time. It depends on what you are making. I made 12 in squares, and a 1 piece at the same time, but I got the one piece done first.I agree with everyone else, depends on what type of afghan you are doing.

Archived