Walmart fading out craft section

Ashley's Mom

Our local Walmart got rid of the fabric already and I inquired about the yarn being done away with and the clerk stated she didn't know. Wondering if this is happening all over the states? Very disappointing as there is no other LYS within 50 miles of our town. Bad enough when Walmart came the Ben Franklin closed. I am crossing my fingers they are keeping the yarn and bead section.:think:angry

This just recently happened at our Walmart. The yarn section is extremely small. Not very much to choose from at all. It is kinda sad. I don't even go to the craft section when I go to walmart anymore, it is that bad :lol.

The superstores are still carrying fabric and yarn, but the amount is drastically deminishing in AZ. I have also noticed over the past several months Michael's and Joanne's is also growing smaller........

Our's is fading out the yarn the shelves are bare, but the isles with scrap booking and silk flowers have gotten bigger. I dont understand that I have really never seen anyone shopping in the silk flower isle. I also do not like their ehtic's so now I really have no reason to go to there. Its the same at the Joanne's in our area they are not restocking the yarn.

It's the same with the Walmarts in this area, too.

It's a shame, because as I've said before, Walmart is where I had my spiritual awakening to crochet. I was in there for something entirely different, but passed the yarn section and all of a sudden had a urge to begin crocheting again. I hadn't done any crocheting since I was in my teens. Now I'm a crocheting and knitting fool with lots of yarn and WIPs.

If it hadn't been for Walmart and their craft section, I'm not sure that it would ever have occurred to me to pick it up again.

Ours has dwindled too. I've noticed they made the scrapbooking section bigger as well. There aren't a lot of places to get yarn around here either. I haven't a clue where the nearest JoAnn's is, and I was just at Michael's yesterday, and I don't really like the prices there.

there are 3 walmarts in my town and only 1 still has the same amount of yarn. i went in today and noticed the shelves had been filled again. i hope they do not discontinue replacing the stock. I was excited when Michaels came but I never find any yarn I went in there.

I don't care for the prices at Michael's either. Our walmart is a superstore and still has fabrics and yarn, and all the other craft stuff. I hope they never get rid of the yarn there. I mostly shop at Walmart because the prices are the best out there. I don't like paying more than I have to for things. We also have JoAnn's. I will be checking out their prices and stock.

We used to have Hancock fabrics, but they closed and moved out of town over a year ago.

I have been to 2 Walmarts in my area and they are both so different in the yarn department. I picked up some yarns at $2.00 per skein in one Walmart but went to the other (closer to home) to get more of it and the yarn was full price there. same thing... 2 different Walmarts.... 2 different prices. I also noticed a reduction in stock for crochet/knit needles as well as the yarns. I sometimes go to JoAnn's and can get a decent price on yarns, but the good thing about our JoAnn's is that besides getting their coupons and sale notices, they will take competitor's coupons.... I always use my Michael's coupons at JoAnn's.

Fellow yarn artists;

Yes, all stores are somewhat low on their yarn. I don't mean to be the voice of doom but if you've been watching the news they have been telling everyone that our imports are down over 90% due to the economic woes. In other words, the foreign countries now want their money up front, not promisary notes. The American companies have done business backwards and don't have it. You and I pay for merchandise before or at the time of possession. Our trade world didn't do this. They ordered it and then paid for it once it was sold. If it wasn't sold then these foreign companies ended up with nothing more than another promise. Every single yarn in front of me comes either completely or in part from foreign countries. Yes, even Red Heart that has "Made in the USA" imports it's fibers from Mexico and other South American countries. Without the fiber this american manufacturer cannot produce the finished yarn skeins that we see on the shelves. Stock up while you can. 2009 economic issues appear to be worse than what we've already experienced.

Sound like a good time to start making your own. Our Walmart has also done away with the fabric section and increased the "celebrations and scrapbooking" areas, the yarn is down to one section of four shelves. Luckily we have a hobby lobby and a LYS(although with really high prices and more geared towards knitter) it is there.

I don't have a wal-mart near by but I was at JoAnn and Michael's today and I'm curious if the huge sales their doing really are to get rid of their stock completely or if it's a typical end-of-the-year selling out of discontinued items. I ended up having to go to a different JoAnn because the one I used to go to is gone. The store was completely empty and the sign was even gone off the building. The only "local" yarn store is in the upscale city of Bellevue and they only sell very expensive yarns with fancy designer names. The lady looked at me like she'd swallowed a bug when I asked her if they had any acrylic yarn. The Ben Franklin in the smaller town closer to me is always packed, though, and it's more of a farming community so I think it'll be able to weather through. They've got a great yarn section and several aisles of tools and what-nots.

I too don't like wally world but would go check out the yarn prices. Last time I did that their yarn was down to one aisle ... use to be 3. Our Michael's has a decent section. Joann's around here is pitiful. But our Hobby Lobby has expanded their selection! Gotta love that!

The only yarn I ever buy at walmart is Sugar n Creme and since "downsizing" here, their P & C selection seemed to grow bigger. I'm talking at least 20 to 25 colors of the small balls and at least 8 colors on the big cones!

Maybe we all need to send emails of complaint to Corporate Walmart. If we do this en-mass maybe they will get the hint that yarns are still needed and re-think their future plans of scaling down.

There is an older post floating around here somewhere. All walmarts are getting rid of their craft section completely. Mine already got rid of their fabric, and the yarn section is 1/3 of what it used to be. I have to drive about 45-60 minutes to get to Hobby Lobby (which I love) and about 45 minutes to Joanns. I'm not sure where the nearest Michaels is. I know there's one an hour from me. I think there might be one not far from Hobby Lobby. I'm going to be very upset when they get rid of the yarn.

I always buy online. Almost always. Walmart isn't that far from us but is a two bus ride which amounts to about two hours each way. Not worth it esp when a lot of the time the shipping is cheaper than the bus fare! But, I have been hearing this for years now that the Walmarts are closing down their craft areas. Ours is the same as when they first opened the Walmart, but it is a super center so maybe that's why.

Walmart here still has all fabrics, but the other craft sections besides yarn have gotten smaller scrapbooking has just completely taken over, and no one ever buys it, it just sits for months then they stick it all on clearance and completely restock it. It's nuts.

But other than Sugar & Creme, the yarn here sucks, all red heart, homespun and . . . FUN FUR! lots and lots of matted up fun fur. Seriously Lion Brand should change the name of it to "no fun". haha

I live in a little town and our Walmart is phasing out the crafts, yarn and fabrics and the closest Michaels, Joann's is 1 1/2 hour away.:angry I have been doing a lot of online shopping on Joann.com. I did go to Michaels last week and they had some really great sales. I feel sorry for the older people that can't get out of town and don't have internet. I don't like it that when I want to do a project it will have to wait until I can drive the 1 1/2 hour drive or wait for my order to come in the mail.

The walmart I go to isn't chaging at all I've heard they're removing their craft sections but nothing has changed. We have 3 Walmarts in our town so maybe the other 2 are different. I have to shop at Walmart noone else sells potty pads for the price they do & I use about a pack every 2 days. Plus they have great frozen fish :)

The craft section at the Walmart near me was changed a few months ago. Since then, it has stayed the same. They have few things in each area. It's nice that Hobby Lobby is across the parking lot.

My local WalMart's yarn has gotten awful. One tiny little section. Its all RedHeart, except for a handful of P&C cotton in the small balls. They usually only have 2 colors in the cones, which is ecru and yellow ombres. The hook selection is absolutely PATHETIC. No pattern books anymore, that I've seen.

There is a HL right across the way, which is nice. I really liked the ILTY but have noticed that the price seems to keep creeping up, little by little. Not so unusual these days, I suppose. :(

I have an almost 30 mile commute to work, and THERE is my trouble......both a Michael's and a JoAnn's within a few blocks of my work! :devil They DO tend to be pricey, but when they have sales, they're usually REALLY GOOD ones.

Archived