Homespun Secrets?

Also those crochet hooks by Clover , that are gold and with the flat handles.

Michaels has them and AcMoores.

I love them.

They work well with the homespun. I like that yarn too; but it will split easily. pinkroses

Also, the stitches will be hard to see. I usually use a strand of homespun, along with a strand of worsted weight together so that you can see where the stitches go.

Follow the directions on how to wash the finished project. It does tend to get fluffy in the wash.

Good luck.

:manyheart

Set it on fire? I hate working with Homespun!! It is really soft, though, if you manage to complete a project.

Definitely choose a pattern where you don't necessarily have to work in the stitiches--more like a pattern where you stitch in the spaces instead. It'll save your sanity!

Good luck! And I have a lighter if all else fails! :lol

:hookColleen

I have used this on a poncho and I am now using it in an afghan.

Use a large hook or needles, make sure you leave enough to weave in, as it tends to frey on the ends.

It is a very soft and warm yarn.:hook

Hide it in the bottom of the stash. lol That's what I ended up doing after awhile. I'd get so far and if I didn't continue in the same sitting with it, I'd lose track of everything and get frustrated and start over and over and over....

Which is why I have a large ball of Homespun yarn somewhere in my stash hidden. :yes I love it. But haven't had the patience and time to do anything with it yet (I bought it at 16 and I'm almost 25 now :eek It's been awhile)

Also those crochet hooks by Clover , that are gold and with the flat handles.

Michaels has them and AcMoores.

I love them.

They work well with the homespun. I like that yarn too; but it will split easily. pinkroses

You are referring to the Clover Soft Touch- those are great hooks!!!

Use an inline hook! It helps with the splittiness, at least for me. Inline hooks include Susan Bates, & Crystalites I believe. I had a terrible time using Boye hooks with homespun due to the shape of the hook.

I also have found that knitting with homespun is easier in that you can't lose your stitches the same. :)

I agree with the rest about using a big hook and using a strand of worsted yarn with it. It really does help. Other than that it can be a PITA to work with.

I have knitted wit hit before and it worked wonderfully.

Like everyone else has said, use a big hook! For me, since I crochet a little on the tight side, a K is even too small - L or bigger for me. And feel for the stitches instead of trying to see them. It's such a fuzzy yarn that it's hard to see the loops to put the hook under, so I feel for them (I do the same thing with Fun Fur or any other fuzzy yarn).

Homespun does take some getting used to, but I've loved the results of everything I've ever made from it.

I just use a really loose gauge, I find that as long as I'm pretty loose with my stitches I can normally see them, and then I don't have to worry about it bunching up on me. You have to make sure that the crimps in the yarn make it into your stitches, or you'll get bunching on it. I've used a J or K hook in the past, and it works beautifully.

I'm with the person that wants to set it on fire. :lol No, seriously, Homespun can make some really beautiful stuff if you have the patience to work with it. I've used an N hook on it because that's what the pattern called for and it worked out good. It still split and it was still difficult to get thru the first few rows but it made a nice, warm afghan for me. :hook I used this pattern:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/chs-rippleThrow.html?noImages=

I made a triangular granny square shawl with homespun. So basically it was the granny square stitch. 3 dc in the space between the sets. It worked out very well. I would not want to use this yearn to crochet into the stitches. People in my Raverly group use homespun to make the vinatage vertical stripe afghan (stitches between the stitches

Photos are on my Raverly projects page-

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Scorpio59

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely LOVE homespun!

I use a large hook and use the double crochet stitch. Feel your way to the next stitch and count every few rows to make sure you still have the right number of stitches.

Don't try and crochet anything fancy schmancy. Stick to afghans and scarves.

My kids fight over the afghan I made. It's wonderful.

Good luck and please post whatever you decide to make!

I've been playing with it...trying to get used to the yarn and have tried a couple different patterns. I was going to do an afghan in all sc, but I wasn't liking the way it looked. I tried a shell pattern, but I didn't make my chains loose enough, so it was a pain to try to fit 5 dcs in one ch. Finally, I decided I would try to stick to what I originally bought it for...Snuggles for the animal shelter. I started one yesterday morning...Ch 45 and then do sc, dc, sc, dc, etc...pretty simple, but should be nice and warm and so soft. I think one of these days I might try a bigger project with it, but for now...I just want to get used to working with the yarn.

I absolutely LOVE homespun!

I use a large hook and use the double crochet stitch. Feel your way to the next stitch and count every few rows to make sure you still have the right number of stitches.

Don't try and crochet anything fancy schmancy. Stick to afghans and scarves.

My kids fight over the afghan I made. It's wonderful.

Good luck and please post whatever you decide to make!

I like to make shawls with it too!!

I am working on an afghan in basketweave stitch and homespun. Since it is all fron and back post DC I don't need to try to find the loops and it is incredibly soft and thick. It will take about 6 skeins but the afghan will be huge. Its for my mom and she's always cold.

Archived