Which is the best worsted weight yarn brand?

What is your favorite worsted weight yarn brand?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite worsted weight yarn brand?

• Red Heart
    • I Love This Yarn
    • Vanna's Choice
    • Caron
    • Other...Please mention the brand you like best

Best, to me, means, for what purpose? For charity projects I use the Caron one-pounders.

For my mother, I use some kind of sport weight cotton.

For my father, Wool-ease.

Favorite, I don't know. The one-pounders are easy to do things in a jiffy with.

Which reminds me, Jiffy, is good for lap robes for ladies. Nice and fluffy.

I don't think of Simply Soft as worsted weight. It's a tad thinner.

Best might mean organic wool, hand dyed and spun.

Best might mean mill ends, cheap and plentiful.

I use the most of Caron One-pounders, Wool-Ease and Jiffy. Doesn't make them my favorite. They've been the ones I could afford and was willing to use.

The crocheters who spin their own or shop fancy yarn stores will probably have very nice yarns to tell of.

I like Vanna's when it's on sale. At full price, it's too expensive for me to use on a regular basis.

But this week at Michael's, it's $2 a skein, so that's a pretty good price. Picked up 6.

It's a pretty nice yarn to work with.

:manyheart

I like Vanna's when it's on sale. At full price, it's too expensive for me to use on a regular basis.

But this week at Michael's, it's $2 a skein, so that's a pretty good price. Picked up 6.

It's a pretty nice yarn to work with.

:manyheart

Of course its on sale this week......I was there LAST week and wanted some, but only bought 1 skein and a couple of one pounders instead. I agree, I can't buy it for any large project unless its on sale, but I do love it!!!

Depends on what I'm going for. For all around general acrylic, I prefer RHSS or Caron One Pounders. Just depends on the size of the project and what colors I need. For cotton, I generally prefer Peaches and Cream, though Sugar and Cream is good too.

I voted "other". I can't stand most acrylic yarn.....just to "plasticy". I mostly use 100% wool like Paton's classic merino, cascade 220 or just about any yarn from Knitpicks.

I think it really depends what the item is as to which I'd use. For acrylics to use for afghans I'd have to say Caron pounders, and RHSS are my favorites typically, tho I've gotten the bad skein here and there. Berella '4' seems to be high quality. They may not be the softest yarns to work with, but the blankets seem to last pretty much forever.

For wearables, I'd be more inclined to use something like Caron Simply Soft or Bernat Satin.

With the exception of Red Heart Supersaver, I like all that you mentioned, although I voted for Vanna's Choice. I like Red Heart Soft, I Love this Yarn, Bernat Satin. If the yarn feels nice, I will like it.

I am with the others that like 100% wool yarn, my favorites being Paton's Classic Merino (especially for amigurumi) and Cascade 220. It is a little more pricey, but well worth it in my opinion. The wool just feels good!

I voted for Caron Simply Soft. I don't usually have the funds for anything real nice (though I would love to get some of the priceyer yarn). I don't like the feel of Red Heart which is why I get CSS.

i'm a red heart girl all the way

i've tried "i love this yarn" but to me it feels thinner or skimpier than the RH

caron feels a bit thinner to but i like the sheen

vanna's choice--we are talking serious coin compared to the others--i wait for a sale

usually red heart solves all my issues (as does a well timed glass of riesling)

thanks for the poll--very eye opening

karen

No matter what can be said about Red Heart yarn, good bad or indifferent, it has been a staple for years and years and a brand I return to over and over. The value is there, the colors are there, and I've been for the most part always satisfied with it. I recommend it to my new students....and specifically steer them clear from Caron's Simply Soft which splits easily and is hard to learn with.

Archived