Does this sound right?

A friend of a friend has asked me to crochet her son a lovey (blankey) its just a 3x3 blanket, because his is falling apart.

ok that sounds great, but then she added this

"It needs to have long tassels, because I trained my son to suck the tassels instead of a pacifier"

Now I am so not against binky time and all that, but it sounds super icky to just let a kid suck on yarn all day,

I am not bashing, just curious on your thoughts about this?

Would you make the blanket? if not, what would you say?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh, tassels aren't 100% secure, that's a choking hazard IMO.

Which is why i don't put them on kids' blankets at all, and if someone where to ask me to, i'd say "I can't, i've just heard a lot of bad things about it."

(And i agree on the icky part, eyeeew)

yeah thats all the things I was thinking, but then someone else told me that lots of parents do it.. so I was kinda like.. umm well am I being uppity and judging there parenting? but then again I don't think I would like myself very much for doing it if I felt it was unsafe and nasty... kwim?

yeah thats all the things I was thinking, but then someone else told me that lots of parents do it.. so I was kinda like.. umm well am I being uppity and judging there parenting? but then again I don't think I would like myself very much for doing it if I felt it was unsafe and nasty... kwim?

Maybe because i'm not a parent, but reading your post was the first time i'd heard of such.

(And i'm not going to let my kids chew tassels, if i ever have any lol)

Um, I have a 2 1/2 year old girl. I have never heard of this. I wouldn't put tassels on there just because of the choking hazard. But also, imagine the tiny pieces of fiber that kid eats each day (blech) I just couldn't put them on there because of those two things.

I've never put tassels and always make sure there's no strings hanging off any blankets I make for babies/kids (I do the same for all but pay extra attention if I know a baby is going to be using the blanket)

i have a 15 month old son. i agree with the choking hazard, but think about the yucky-ness of it all. if he's sucking on it, does she wash it every single day? that is one big germ-fest if she doesn't.

but, it's not up to you on how to parent the child so if you're uncomfortable about it, say you are not able to make it for her.

i've learned that telling parents your opinions go in one ear and out the other so don't waste your breath.

if the child chokes on your blanket and gets hurt or worse.... i would feel super guilty.

I have never heard of that before! Sounds like flimsy justification for letting a child have a go at a choking hazard to me! :eek

I would tell her that I would make the blanket but no tassells as I don't agree with putting choking hazards on items for small children. If she argued or refused then she simply wouldn't get one. :)

Sore

I was going to say the same thing about sucking on the yarn and swallowing little fibers of it. I would tell her that I'd be happy to make the blanket but wouldn't put tassels on it because you know of a family whose child choked on the tassel (even if you don't, just a little fib to help the child be safe). Also...how long of a tassel is she talking?? If it's more than a few inches the child could be sucking on it, swallow, and swallow the tassel and gag on it. I'd just tell her it's not a safe thing. They make pacifiers because they are a safe thing for a baby to suck on (well, except for the ones that are recalled with defects).

I have to agree with Sorefingers... I would tell her that I'd be glad to make one without tassels, since they are a serious choking hazard for small children.

I got lucky with my daughter, she never had much of a fixation with sucking on things. She does have an attachment to a stuffed puppy though...:D

Hi D****

I have thought about this a lot today and have decided it would be out of my comfort level to make a blanket with tassels on it. I just feel there would be a huge risk of choking or gagging on a blanket with 4inch tassels or any tassels for that matter. I would be happy to make you just the blanket without the tassels.

I hope I have not offended you at all.

Much Love,

J

How old is this child? There was one parent in my preschool class who got upset because I wouldn't let her 3 year old suck on this filthy disgusting old stuffed dog. She claimed it was a sensory issue. I told her it's a sanitary issue and I would still not allow it unless I saw an IEP or paperwork from a doctor stating that it was necessary :)

I would tell her that I would make the blanket, but if she wants to fringe it, she can do that part herself after you give her the blanket. That way you have done your part by crocheting the blanket so that her son still has something to cuddle up with, but that way you don't have the worry that he will choke on fringe that you put on the blanket.

As far as what to tell the mother, I would level with her and tell her that there is no way that fringe can be affixed to the blanket so that it absolutely will not come off, and, as such, it is a choking hazard for her young son. Tell her that you don't feel comfortable having the responsibility of being the one to put the fringe on, that if, God forbid, her son does manage to get some loose and choke on it you would not want to feel responsible. Then show her how easy it is to put fringe on herself, and if she's that adamant about having long fringe on the blanket, she can do it herself and bear the responsibility.

If she doesn't understand, she is, IMO, just being unreasonable, because it's a perfectly legitimate concern on your part. Not to mention that people become completely different sometimes in the face of mishaps, even if they are accidental. If the unthinkable happens and her son chokes on the fringe, she's liable to cite you as the source of the unsafe blanket and who knows where it could go from there. Better to divorce yourself from that situation from the get-go.

That is disgusting and unsafe. I agree with Elle, it's better to avoid having any part in any unfortunate incident. I mean, geez! I've seen where my kiddo dragged her blankie and, being a bit of a germophobe, washed it nearly everyday. Bleeeeaaah!!!! ***full body shiver while gagging****

I know some people are against binkies, but I can think of a whole pile of reasons (most of them already stated here) that they are way better than a blanket fringe. I wouldn't put fringe on an adult afghan, let alone one for a child. That's disgusting to actually teach a child to suck on fringe. I don't get it.

That's just gross. She may as well teach her kid to lick the floor clean. That's just.. well yuck yuck yucky!!

I wouldn't make her a fringed blanket either. Like it's been said before, it's a choking hazard, and quite frankly that's disgustingly unsanitary.

Archived