When making scrap ghans do you...

I quit crocheting several years ago. I just lost interest. So when I decided to start back the only yarn I had around was just some scraps. I decided on a scrap ghan. It started out ok but I ended up going out and buying similar yarn so that the top would match the bottom in colors and striping. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is a scrapghan I just grab and go, especially if it is done in granny squares or a giant granny. I am making one now and I am not crazy about the color combo, but my friend keeps telling me that is what scrap granny squares are supposed to be, just random colors that may or may not match :lol:lol. Someone, some where will like it. My grandma always said some of your prettiest ghans are those that are just tossed together with no thought, rhyme or reason put into them (Don't know if I believe that or not LOL)

To me, granny squares just open up a whole new can of worms. :lol Once the squares are all done I agonize over what order to put them in. I lay them out on the floor and arrange them, then walk off and rearrange them through out the day until I think it's right. Then I'll probably arrange them one more time.

OCD much?:rofl

I try to make an ordered disorder...random but not so much as you pull 5 colors in a row that are similar or put together a few motifs that look too much alike. Guess I'm just controlling that way ... :)

I love this thread!!!! This has been a great read.

I have made only one true scrap afghan. I was very proud of myself in that I did "grab and go." This was terribly difficult for me because I have OCD. I had to make myself use whatever color I grabbed next. I did a 3 strand, but I had a TON of white. So, I used white throughout and grabbed 2 other colors to use in addition to the white.

I have to play little tricks with myself sometimes on things like that because of my OCD. I think it's good therapy for me to grab and go, or leave a mistake in a project. It's teaching me that nothing bad will happen if the colors don't match or I make a mistake.

OK...now that I've said that...I do have a confession to make though....

My OCD took over in one area, though. I made a list. Each time I grabbed a new ball of yarn, I wrote down the color. :lol That was my way of keeping some semblance of order to the project. I suppose some things are just incurable!!!!

My OCD took over in one area, though. I made a list. Each time I grabbed a new ball of yarn, I wrote down the color. :lol That was my way of keeping some semblance of order to the project. I suppose some things are just incurable!!!!

Most days I really wish I was a bit more OCD so I could get a little more organized.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not good at being really scrappy. I want to think things out because I really like symmetry. I'm also a quilter and have the same thing there. I need a plan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! I am making a...scrappish afghan with hexagon granny squares, and I am trying to do the whole "stick whatever I grab to the last one I sewed on" thing. It is NOT EASY!!!!! Please, wish me luck everyone. I am working on 2 afghans at once, and my nerves are going HAYWIRE!!!!!

I'm one of those people who have to organize the colors, too! I do what I call "Scrap Sweaters", where I'll knit or crochet a sweater using up my scraps, but I always end up lining up balls of yarn on the bed, agonizing over what colors should go with what other colors.

That sounds like me... I'm using my Malabrigo scraps. But the first squares were all very pretty FALL COLORS. But I don't have enough FALL COLORS... ( so I bought some Malabrigo finish it. :blush ) So much for scraps... LOL

~ Susan

I must say I've NEVER done a scrapghan lol... I have TONS of scraps and perhaps when I finish my X-Mas gifts I will do one... I would definitely attempt the magic ball method without any thought to the scheme though lol... think it would be a fun project lol...

• 2 months later...

I tend to plan somewhat. I use a lot of variegated yarns so on my scrapghans, I will do a row of variegated then a row of solid in the same shade. One of these days, I would like to force myself to put all my scraps in a bag and close my eyes when I reach for a ball of yarn and just let karma work its wonders. :crocheting

• 2 weeks later...

I have flexible nets full of yarn I agonize over what will look good with what I drive my husband crazy looking and relooking at the diff colors I have LOL in fact I am agonizing now I am almost all done now with christmas gifts and I cant have my hands idol for too long the feeling in them may come back (cant have that now can we) LOL

Happy holidays all

• 4 weeks later...

I'm actually somewhere in-between. I did a giant granny square and had the general overall idea to use warm fall colors, but did not plan the order of them beforehand. I'd do a few rows of one color, then decide what would look good next to it. I like having a rough idea of it then flying by the seat of my pants.

I was never a grab and go kind of person until I tried this afghan.

015.jpg and even then I had problems becsause I was afraid what would be next to each other

What a beautiful afghan. Can I ask the pattern?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on my first Scrap gahan(yay me!) and, so far I've been selective about the colors I use, for this one, mostly blues, and a few greens and black and grey,

Archived