dish cloth cal?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in and new to CALs too! I saw the pattern on Annie's Attic today too and it sparked my interest.

Just looked at this pattern and it uses a double-ended hook...? Can anyone fill me in on what that is and how it works? At any rate, I'll be picking a different pattern for now. I have a couple booklets full of dishcloth patterns and lots of ww cotton to use up.

A double ended hook gives you a knitted-type of stitch. I've not done much with them, so I don't know all the techniques. The things I've done with it required two strands of yarn. At first, you chain with your main color, like you do with a regular hook. Then you pull up a loop in every chain, leaving the loops on the hook. When all the loops are on the hook, you tie on the other strand of yarn, turn the hook and crochet the loops off the hook. It makes a two sided fabric. Very interesting, but I haven't really done much with it. I may try a dishcloth with it and let you know how it goes.

A double ended hook gives you a knitted-type of stitch. I've not done much with them, so I don't know all the techniques. The things I've done with it required two strands of yarn. At first, you chain with your main color, like you do with a regular hook. Then you pull up a loop in every chain, leaving the loops on the hook. When all the loops are on the hook, you tie on the other strand of yarn, turn the hook and crochet the loops off the hook. It makes a two sided fabric. Very interesting, but I haven't really done much with it. I may try a dishcloth with it and let you know how it goes.

Thanks! Sounds interesting. I'd love to hear how your dishcloth goes.

I'm in too!!! :clap

I was reading this thread the other day and realized I needed a break from the tedious project I was working on and a dishcloth is the perfect quick project with instant satisfaction. I looked thru my patterns and they were all boring. :lol So off I went to JoAnns with my 40% off coupon (like I needed an excuse!) and picked up a Leisure Arts booklet called Wash & Wipe. There was some cute patterns in it and this is the one I made last night.

th_IMG_0396.jpg click me

I got to use up quite a few scraps. :cheer I knew I was saving those tiny little balls for something pretty. My fingers hurt. :eek Anybody else find working with the cotton is harder on their fingers/hands?

Wow you guys are doing great! I'm still working on some tawashi patterns I printed out. The "tribble" pattern is really fast and great for those scraps too. Ill post a picture.

As far as cotton hurting your hands, it really helps if you make sure you use a hook that's the right size, a snug gauge is good, but don't go too small. If you can get your hands on a wooden hook even better! Either way, you'll adjust to it.

I'm in! I have a bunch of crochet cotton laying around.

I'm going to make one posted here & a matching potholder!

So off I went to JoAnns with my 40% off coupon (like I needed an excuse!)

Well, you can't let that coupon go to waste now can you? :wink If nothing else...I use it to buy a ball of crochet cotton for a new dishcloth. :yarn

I got to use up quite a few scraps. :cheer I knew I was saving those tiny little balls for something pretty. My fingers hurt. :eek Anybody else find working with the cotton is harder on their fingers/hands?

I do! It always feels kinda weird on my hands. I haven't started any dishcloths yet, :( but I have my patterns printed out, my cotton and hooks ready to go. I just had to get a couple little things done first, but I'm ready to go tomorrow!

I am having a busy weekend and not much crochet time, but I started on a dish cloth from a Leisure Arts book called Dishcloths by the Dozen. It's called Sunshine and so far so good. I'll post a picture when it's finished. I have to finish a baby blanket for a shower that is in two weeks, so that is taking priority.

I like the one you made Craw! Very nice, love all the colours! I have a bunch of scraps to use up, so maybe I'll do a stripey one next.

Thanks you guys! :hug I made another one last night. :hook

th_IMG_0397.jpg

click me

The color is Robin's Egg Blue from Sugar & Cream and the pattern was from the same book, Wash & Wipe. I saw this one called Holiday Dishcloth and I think I will try that next. I have some scrap fall color variegated that would look good in that pattern.

I think the reason why my fingers hurt with the cotton is because I have a death grip on both the yarn and hook trying to keep the stitches even. Gauge isn't so important to me on a dish cloth but I checked gauge and I was kinda tight. Maybe I just need to relax the grip a little. :crocheting Hope you guys can post some pics of yours too. Would love to see them! :clap

I'm getting back into crocheting after a few months of absence and would like to join this CAL. You folks have already made some nice ones! I love making and using dishclothes and potholders/hotpads. I've crocheted and knitted them, as well as double-ended crocheted/crochenit/crohooked them, and you never can have too many!

I would love to join this CAL. I make dishcloths all the time. My friends love them, and I also sell them.

I just finished 2. I need to take pictures of them before it storms. I'll post them shortly.

Archived