dish cloth cal?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wee! I don't know anything about leading a CAL, lol! Got a groovy pattern?

Me either! :) I'm pretty boring...I make the same pattern all the time, so it's easy to do. I carry a ball of thread and a hook to work, and pull it out whenever I have the chance. I use a different multi-color thread each time, and then use my scraps to make "granny's daughter" pieces. It adds a little variety to my scrap afghans!

I'll join this one too. I want to make a bunch before xmas for little stocking stuffers, but can't get motivated to start. Maybe this will help, my first CAL!!:cheer

I think I might have to join in on this one too. I was thinking of some kitchen sets for Christmas presents. Just can't seem to get motivated. Maybe this will help.

On a related note, did anyone see the Annie's Attic free pattern today? It's a dish cloth/towel set. Kinda pretty and doesn't look very difficult.

I just pulled out all the cotton I had last night to make a few summer coasters for our kitchen table.

Now I'm looking at my bag of cotton and thinking a few dishcloths might be a good idea!

I've only made 2 or 3 dishcloths ever but use them for dusting with some Pledge or Endust. Not for washing. Maybe that'll change.

Anyway- I'm lazy and don't like following patterns so I was thinking something simple.

I decided on something like this-

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/kaseyJ/lgdish.html

I won't be following the pattern. Just do a basic granny until it's big enough and then put a border.

I'll start today!

I made two dishcloths last week from patterns I found in the free pattern section here and really liked both patterns. The dishcloths look nice, but are also very functional. I like my dishcloths to be made from a fairly solid stitch, and these fit that requirement. They are also somewhat stretchy and thin enough to wring out easily. Both patterns are very easy to do.

The patterns are:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1197831&postcount=1

I didn't add the border to this since it has a pretty straight edge without it.

This one is similar to the diagonal knitted cloths:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1167950&postcount=1

I'll be making more of each of these.

I'm in too. I like the smaller dense cloths with some texture to them. Less wear and tear on my hands so I can crochet more!!!!

lol....Debbie

Thanks for the patterns! I have made a few but not sure on a few things. How do you end off on a cloth when finished? They get handled pretty rough. Do you just knot it and weave the end through? Will it hold to repeated washings?

Same with changing colors in a cloth. How do you do it so it withstands the wear and tear?

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

How funny! I just made my first dish cloth yesturday!

I bought some multi-colored cotton and a book (had a coupon for AC Moore and had to use it!). I'll join in!

What book did you buy?

I'm in too. I like the smaller dense cloths with some texture to them. Less wear and tear on my hands so I can crochet more!!!!

lol....Debbie

Thanks for the patterns! I have made a few but not sure on a few things. How do you end off on a cloth when finished? They get handled pretty rough. Do you just knot it and weave the end through? Will it hold to repeated washings?

Same with changing colors in a cloth. How do you do it so it withstands the wear and tear?

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

I saw somewhere on the 'Ville that someone puts a dab of glue onto the end just before weaving it in.

What's a grannys daughter?

A granny's daughter is simply the first round of a granny square (the little square in the middle), and then it's joined in strips. It's a great way to use up small amounts of scraps. I've gotten into the habit over the years of stitching them up as I finish a skein of yarn. I store them in ziploc bags (50 per bag) so I can keep track of them. Then, when I have enough, I make them into an afghan.

I put one together about 5 years ago. I'm actually thinking about taking it apart and mixing it in with the new ones I've made. I'd like to make one big enough to spread across a double bed.

I've only made 2 or 3 dishcloths ever but use them for dusting with some Pledge or Endust. Not for washing. Maybe that'll change!

Oh you absolutely must try them for washing! They work so much better than store bought cloths or sponges, they clean better and they rinse nice and clean. I even use mine in the shower!

It's Leisure Arts Contest Favorites Dishcloths, with 17 designs.

There is a really cute picture of a Daisy dish cloth, with a pot scrubber for the center, on the cover.

Ooh I have that daisy scrub pattern, but I didn't know it was in a book! Where did you find it?

How do you end off on a cloth when finished? They get handled pretty rough. Do you just knot it and weave the end through? Will it hold to repeated washings?

thanks, Debbie

uwcheese

Hi Debbie!

I end off as usual and weave in the ends opposite in direction as to they were stitched, and then I like to weave the last few stitches by splitting the stitches I'm weaving them thru.

They are VERY durable, especially if you use a dense stitch. My knit/crochet cloths have out lasted all of my store bought. They will last longer if you can wash theM on the gentle cycle or just rinse them out and throw them in the dryer. Hth

A granny's daughter is simply the first round of a granny square (the little square in the middle), and then it's joined in strips. It's a great way to use up small amounts of scraps. I've gotten into the habit over the years of stitching them up as I finish a skein of yarn. I store them in ziploc bags (50 per bag) so I can keep track of them. Then, when I have enough, I make them into an afghan.

I put one together about 5 years ago. I'm actually thinking about taking it apart and mixing it in with the new ones I've made. I'd like to make one big enough to spread across a double bed.

Cool idea!

Archived