dish cloth cal?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question: Does anyone use acrylic yarn for there dishcloths? I have only ever used cotton or thread. I have tons of acrylic in my stash and was wondering

Tena

I've never used acrylic for dishcloths because it doesn't (can't) soak up the water like cotton can. Cotton also is better at picking stuff up I think.

Julee

That's not to say that you can't use acrylic. Acrylic does have it's benefits. For one, since it doesn't absorb water, you won't have to worry about mildew/mold growing in it. It's difficult for bacteria to cling to. Acrylic dishcloths make excellent dusters, as well since they have static cling. You can dust your house without chemical cleansers, now how great is THAT? They're great for dusting your electronics, too, so you don't have to worry about liquids damaging your stereo and computer.

Most "tawashi" (japanese dishcloths) are made with acrylic. So, YES, use that acrylic up. Just keep it away from the stove, please.

Question: Does anyone use acrylic yarn for there dishcloths? I have only ever used cotton or thread. I have tons of acrylic in my stash and was wondering

Tena

I use my acrylic yarn for my hot pads/potholders. To me, they are more durable than cotton hot pads/potholders. But do be careful not to let them come in contact with the heating elements or flame(as you would ANY hot pads). My first set of hotpads was made for me as a gift...they lasted and lasted and lasted (my only pair, because they were faves) 16 years!! I finally sat down and copied the design and made my own new pair lol.

I use cotton for dish cloths/wash cloths because of the absorption.

I haven't joined the CAL, but I've been making dishcloths like mad. Trying to "destash" some of my cotton yarn. Will post photos in a day or two.

I used acrylic yarn for my potholders for the longest time but then someone told me what acrylic can do and I haven't used acrylic for 'em since. Just cotton. They actually last alot longer for me. I think cottons more durable. Doesn't melt like acrylic.

Julee

I am LOVING this CAL for using up my cotton stash! I just need to find something equally motivating to use up my acrylic ww.

I made these three today. The one on the left is just a granny. The one of the right is a Bernat pattern called Granny's Corners. I used a self striping cotton which worked out great for this pattern.

th_IM000622.jpg

This next one is my adaptation of a round ripple style in a dish cloth. I am pleased with how it turned out. Lots of colours, because I am using up my stash.

th_IM000623.jpg

I have enjoyed seeing everyone else's dish cloths along the way.

• 1 month later...

I have given up. I just can't figure out which end goes where.

Alright, I am determined to get this!

I start with this:

th_IM000608.jpg

I sew the two ends together and get this: Which two ends? AARRGGHH!

Do you put, FOR EXAMPLE, the top left corner to the lower right corner? The top right corner to the lower left corner? The top edge evenly to the bottom edge??

I have given up. I just can't figure out which end goes where.]

Debbie, I'm sorry to hear that you are giving up! I was about to give up on that pattern too when I did the picture tutorial and then it just all came together. You are joining the two ends (the first row and the last row). Not sure if that helps... And you are putting top left to bottom left, top right to bottom right.

If all else fails, frog it and make something else!

There is another dishcloth CAL going on. It was started almost a year ago by amandapace, seemed to take a break between March and June '08, when it picked up a little. It's been started up again and is here. Wished I would have seen this one; it's going strong.

It's called Dishcloth Tuesdays! and I wonder if it can be combined with yours.

:hug

Joy, when we had the Kitchen Swap, lots of people recommended crochet nylon or plastic canvas thread but I don't like they way they turn out because I think they're both too stiff. They don't make the pretty little ball like it is in the picture. Do the cotton ones work well for scrubbing and do they dry out reasonably fast? I hate things that take a long time to dry.

I want to make the back scrubber thingy by Priscilla Hewitt (it's the 2nd item, after the bath puff) but I'm worried it'll take forever to dry while hanging in the shower and then they get stinky, ya know. {hold your nose!}

Thanks, Joy, for your response. You know, I have some sportweight cotton. I wonder how that would work? Will have to give it a try when I get the time. Ha! Ha! Got too many projects going but of course the scrubbie doesn't take long to make. Will take longer with the sportweight, though.

Where are the other dish cloth crocheters? Nobody's been around to answer my question about merging this CAL with the Dishcloth Tuesdays CAL. Even the bunch in the Tuesdays CAL hasn't said what they want to do...stay where we are are move over here.:think Oh, well. Guess it really doesn't matter a whole lot but it'd be nice to be all together.

I just used one of the scrubbies for the first time today. Worked well for anything that wasn't very dried on. Definately a step up from the sponge I've been using. Probably the only drawback is dry time. It's definately not drying quickly. Probably will have about the same dry time as the sponge I'd normly use.

Although I'm a little dishcloth'ed out at the moment (just made 14 in a week), those spiral scrubbies are intriguing. I will have lots more dishcloths to make before Christmas, so can I join in starting with the scrubbies first?

Here are pics of the 14 I just made. This project is from the Crochet Cottage Dec. 2001 magazine (aka, Priscilla Hewitt):

th_DishclothFlowerPot-Finished.jpgth_FlowerPot2.jpg

Archived