Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you by chance pm me your address? I have the 2 blankets ready to go out tomorrow & I don't have it since I asked for it last. Thanks!

That's great! I'll send you a PM now.

I have, I think 28. I just got three from my aunt today (I'll post a pic in a little bit). The NICU houses 60 babies. My goal (it's a big one), is to have one ghan for every child there on Christmas. From there, anything extra (if there is any) can be used for the babies that will come after.

WHen my DS was there, there was never an empty bed. Babies would leave in the morning and by the afternoon the helicopter would bring another baby to fill the space.

My DH and DD are back from camping, so I have my camera back to take pictures.

I started out first laying out the ghans that Pam (CrochettingMama) sent. They are all wonderfully soft and made with Homepsun. My DS thought they were wonderful, as you can all see:

044.jpg

They are all in such pretty colors and will be usefull for both boys and girls. Here is what they look like without a child laying on them!

046.jpg

Then, today when I got the mail, Mary's package (Mlblz)arrived. Her yarn is so soft and the stitching on this ghan is so very pretty.

043.jpg

I'm so glad u got my ghan. Thanks for posting it. Also Crochettingmams are gorgeous also. Keep up the good work. I know you will make 60 without a problem. Will be sending you more.

Christinanthemum's beautiful package arrived today. She posted the pictures of them before she sent them... and while the pictures look beautiful, they don't do the items justice.

The ghans are so soft and beautiful and the hats and booties are delicate and simply lovely.

Thank you so much!

Mollyanna sent these two beautiful ghans. The filet ghan looks like it was done in Baby Jaime and it has such a pretty nubby yarn for the trim.

The ghan on the right has such beautiful color and my camera really didn't do it justice. It looks like the baby bubbles pattern.

Both are soft and will make a sick baby and their family so happy this Christmas.

001-4.jpg

How big do the baby afghans have to be? Do you need any other items crocheted for the babies?

They can be as big or small as you like. The NICU cares for babies from extreme preemie sized (think of a chunky sized barbie doll) to a one year old baby. All sizes in between. Any size will work for one of the babies there.

I'll accept anything that anyone wants to send me! If someone would rather make booties, or hats - or anything else they can think of for a baby-- I'll take it.

In fact, I'll take anything appropriate for any child up to the age of 18. The hospital cares for children of all sizes. My mother, who knits, has actually been making scarf and hat sets for the older kids and teens.

So, anything that anyone wants to make would certainly have a place in part of that hospital. I'm grateful for anything anyone wishes to send.

There should be another box headed your way with another blanket. I mailed it the same day as the white one you just got.

I just came home to it! Thank you!!!!

I'll post a picture tomorrow. It's beautiful!

This beautiful and soft ripple ghan is Jessica's. The colors are so rich and nice. Plus, whatever her detergent or softner is smells incredible! It got the Nathan Seal of Approval! He wouldn't allow it to be on the floor without him on it.001-5.jpg

This bottom ghan is a fast and simple DC ghan done in homespun that I did this last week. Nathan approved of this one as well.

002-2.jpg

I just finished a double crochet ghan and have enough of the yarn I used for a small round ripple I just started. Can you please PM me your address and I will get them out to you during the next week?

Thank you!

I used to be in a yahoo group that did charity work for preemies & the ones that did not make it. The person we sent it all too advised us to use white vinegar to soften red heart as a lot of us just could not afford the expensive soft yarn she liked to use. She said 1/2 cup of white vinegar to a load. So make sure you have a load so you dont waste vinegar. It doesn't smell either. But if it does you should be able to get the smell out with a few dryer sheets in the dryer. I have found this works on older blankets to & all except that one my mom made me but that is 20 years old.

Archived