Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

I would love to help!! I spent almost two months in the hospital trying not to have my twins. I was lucky they were born big enough that they didn't have to stay in the hospital (4 lbs 4 oz, and 4lbs 2 oz) ! When I got home my sister, my daughter, 2 nephews ansd one neice and I made about 100 hats and I sent them to the hospital to the NICU. I became friends with a lot of the nurses and I talk to them frequently. They have told me how much even a hat made by some one means to a parent of a premie. The nurses have said that parents are thrilled that a stranger who dosen't know them or their baby care so much and they are turly touched. They fell the love in the things their children recieve. I fyou pm me your addy I will try to get at least one blanket done to send. (DD won't be much of a help this time she has a broken finger, and sis and her kids live in MI we moved to WY so it will be just me):manyheart

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you Dorothy! I'll pm you my address.

You are absolutely right... as a parent of a NICU baby - my DS was full term but ill -- it was the kindness of people who didn't even know us that was just overwhelming to me. As a breastfeeding mother, the hospital supplied me with one free meal a day. It was brought to me on hospital trays from the kitchen. Every tray that I got had something special on it... usually a card made from a child at a local school telling my son to feel better. Knowing that a complete stranger cared about him gave me strength to do what I needed to do to get through the situation.

My son also flew to the hospital on a helicopter. One of the paramedic's mother knitted hats for each baby to wear while on his or her flight. She put a special angel charm on it and before they took my DS from me, they gave him the hat. Again, it was someone thinking about us in one of our most difficult moments that gave me strength.

It is my hope that the parents of the babies that will receive these gifts this Chirstmas will feel encouraged by the gift. Will know that there are people out there who care - and perhaps they will feel less alone.

It is wonderful that your children were born so big and didn't have to stay in the NICU. What a blessing - and how wonderful of you to help now. Thank you. :hug

Sending you a pm

I have one blanket for a baby done!! I finished it this morning before my shower!! My 12 year old has decided to try to crochet even with her broken finger. She loves babies!! Is any size better than another or just make them?:hug

Ok... you're fast! And how nice of your 12 year old!

Any size is great. The NICU cares for the smallest of preemies (smaller than you can imagine) to babies up to a year old. Any and all sizes are needed.

As soon as DD finishes her baby square blanket I am going to wash them and get them off in the mail. I used yarn from freecycle and I am not quite sure what it has been around and I have a puppy who thinks she has to be on my lap all the time!!:yay:hug

Here are two of the blankets!!

This one is for a boy!!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/dorothysgirls/babyblankets005.jpg

This one is for a girl!!!

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/dorothysgirls/babyblankets007.jpg

I hope that you like them!!:manyheart

Great job!!! I really like the girl blanket, love the pattern!!! :hug:manyheart

Look at the wonderful package I got today! This yarn feels nice and soft and has a lovely glisten to it, and the stitch is so pretty. Thank you Patty!

100_3756.jpg

This is going to make a baby and their family so happy.

Hi! I'm so glad to see you doing this again! :) I enjoyed sending some items last time, and I actually have some saved up in hopes you'd do it again. They're mostly for micro-preemies, like 12" square or maybe a little larger. They're done in a pattern that doesn't have large holes though, so it should be warm. This is amazing work! I already have your address, and I'll send some things here and there before Christmas. You're wonderful!

Victoria

PS

I had my son 8 days early, but he was 12lbs 10 oz, and had to be in the level 2 nursery (not as severe as NICU, but still scary) for 4 days. Nothing fit him, and they had to get clothes from the gift shop for him to go home with! We were prepared for a newborn sized child lol... What helped me get through it, was that my Mom, although she was miles away, had made me some flannel crochet edged blankets, and I got to use those on my son. It helped me know that she was thinking of me, and it truly made it easier to bear. Just knowing that you're not alone, others are thinking and praying for you, really makes a difference.

Thank you Vickie! How wonderful that you are going to help me again!

... 12 pounds! I can only pray you had a c-section! I know how scary it must have been for you to have him in the nursery.. how blessed we are now to have healthy kids.

I've hit the motherlode! Today I had a stressful day at work, had to visit the dentist and go vote, all of which meant I was home late and cranky... look at what I had to cheer me up! Not one, but TWO packages! In all, 11 afghans! The 4 ghans on the right are from Kulaslk (Linda), and the ones on the left are from Dorothysgirls (Dorothy). Aren't they all wonderful? And, you should feel the yarns... oh, so soft:c9. Thank you thank you thank you!:hug

100_3762-1.jpg

I went to the NICU reunion this last weekend. The hospital holds one every year. It was wonderful to celebrate how far we've come and be grateful for all we have. I saw many babies there who were young enough to maybe have been recipients of last year's donations of afghans.

I thought you may want to read the newspaper article about it, and see who these kids are that you are all helping.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_9523593?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com

It was a great time Christina! We are so blessed and it was wonderful to be with all the families celebrating our childrens' lives.

It was also a sad reminder of the need the hospital fills. As we were there in the courtyard, they had to deflate the blow up slide in order for the helicopter to come in and bring another sick child to the NICU.

We were there holding our child who had come on a helicopter and was now healthy - as we watched and knew that another family was now going through that dark moment.

The NICU never had an empty bed while my son was there. When one child would be discharged, the issolette would be made ready for the child that would then come to fill it within a few hours time.

However, it was a fabulous day!

I've got a blanket ready and I'd like to mail it to you...please pm me your address.

Do all NICU's have a reunion? my niece was born at 1lbs 12oz and just celebrated her 2nd birthday!

I've got a blanket ready and I'd like to mail it to you...please pm me your address.

Do all NICU's have a reunion? my niece was born at 1lbs 12oz and just celebrated her 2nd birthday!

Thank you for helping!

I don't know about all NICU's, but I have heard of other's doing it. Your niece's parents should be able to call the hospital where she was at and find out. I actually knew about this reunion before my son was even discharged! They do it every year.

Archived