Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

I've posted before about my DS, who was born in November 2006 and flown to Oakland Children's Hospital when he was 3 days old. He was there for 10 days, over Thanksgiving, while they saved his life. I owe the hospital an emotional debt that I will never be able to repay.

Last year, several wonderful people here on the 'Ville helped me give back to the hospital. You can see the post here:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59881

It is horrible to have your child sick at any time. I remember not knowing if my DS would be home for Christmas, and that made things seem even worse, if that's possible. The holidays are a time to be holding your baby, not seeing them fighting to live.

I am planning on taking as many afghans as possible to the NICU before Christmas so that Santa can deliver them to the NICU babies on Christmas day, just as he did last year. I am asking for your help. I know that you already have projects of your own to complete for the holidays, so I am grateful that you might take time out to help me.

The NICU houses aproximately 60 babies - from the extreme preemie to babies up to 1 year. If you would like to help me, I would be extremely grateful. I am looking for afghans of all sizes and colors for the babies. While the babies won't know that someone else is thinking of them, the families will - and unless you've had a child in that situation, you have no idea how much that will mean to these families.

If you are unable to make an afghan, but would like to send a hat or booties -- that would be wonderful too! Or, the hospital also cares for children up to the age of 18, and if you would prefer to send something for them I'll gladly take it.

If you live in a smoking house, please be sure to wash the items prior to mailing - as some of these babies have respiratory issues.

Thank you for helping me give these families comfort at a time when they desperately need it.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i WOULD BE SO VERY HAPPY TO SEND A FEW BABY CAPS AND A BABY BLANKET.i HAVE JUST LEARNED HOW TO MAKE BABY CAPS AND OTHERS SAY IT CAME SO NICE .i WILL BE HAPPY TO SEND THEM SOON AS I RECIEVE YOUR ADDRESS.Thank you and i hope you will get blessings for your son for doing this to help others .Thank you .Theresa Smith email me soon as possible:angelI dont smoke and no one in my home smokes !

Please let me know what size you would like and wpuld be happy to make a few for you. Le me know where to send them.:)

Please let me know what size you would like and wpuld be happy to make a few for you. Le me know where to send them.:)

Any size is wonderful. The babies range from extreme preemies (think chunkier than a barbie doll, but almost as small) to 1 year. So, whatever you are able to do will work for one of the babies. I'll pm you my address. Thank you!

And, thank you Theresa - caps will be great!

I'd like to send one as well, but probably won't get to it until June. Is that ok? If so, PM me your address. Also, is it just crochet that is acceptable or can we use fleece as well?

My twin sisters (now 15) were born very preemie at 7 months and were in NICU for a month. The nurses were wonderful to them and my family! Its awesome that you're giving back!

I'd like to send one as well, but probably won't get to it until June. Is that ok? If so, PM me your address. Also, is it just crochet that is acceptable or can we use fleece as well?

My twin sisters (now 15) were born very preemie at 7 months and were in NICU for a month. The nurses were wonderful to them and my family! Its awesome that you're giving back!

June is great! Anytime up till the first week of December(ish) is great! I just wanted to post now so that people who might want to do this, but have Christmas Crochet to do will be able to.

And, yes, Fleece... knit, crochet.. anything is great! Thank you for helping me! PM on the way with my address.

I might be able to help. I can't promise anything until after June-ish, but then I'll be mostly free from crafty obligations so I'm planning on focusing on my charity works.

I might be able to help. I can't promise anything until after June-ish, but then I'll be mostly free from crafty obligations so I'm planning on focusing on my charity works.

Thank you Robyn! When you need me to send you my address, just PM me!

I'm new at crocheting and have never done one of these before but if you will PM me, I'll try to get one made and send it to you. This is one of the reasons I have been learning to crochet--for charity. I hope I can get one made that will be fit to send :bheart

I'm new at crocheting and have never done one of these before but if you will PM me, I'll try to get one made and send it to you. This is one of the reasons I have been learning to crochet--for charity. I hope I can get one made that will be fit to send :bheart

That's wonderful of you! Thank you! I'm sure that whatever you send will be beautiful -- you can always tell when something is made with love.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!! I'm so excited!

I just got my invitation in the mail for the NICU reunion. Every year, they host a party in the afternoon, and for the rest of his life our DS is invited to celebrate what the hospital did for him and all the blessings his good health has given us. The children I will see that day won't get the afghans, but some may have gotten them last year, and some that will get them will be at the party next year!

Thank you!! I'm so excited!

I just got my invitation in the mail for the NICU reunion. Every year, they host a party in the afternoon, and for the rest of his life our DS is invited to celebrate what the hospital did for him and all the blessings his good health has given us. The children I will see that day won't get the afghans, but some may have gotten them last year, and some that will get them will be at the party next year!

It's awesome that they do a get together like this. It gives the nurses a chance to see their work and love firsthand and gives the kids a chance to see all the people who cared about them enough to save their lives!:manyheart

My commute home today was awful. There was an accident, and it took me two hours to get home. During the long drive, I got a call from my DH who said, "Your first package arrived!" I couldn't wait to get home to see what it was -- Theresa sent this beautiful ghan and two caps... one for a boy and one for a girl. The ghan looks like it's made with Baby Clouds, and the little girl hat is so feminine.... It made my day!

100_3750.jpg

Archived