Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The afghans made it to the hospital today.

We arrived, and the hospital chaplain, a lovely nun who was so kind to us when our son was in the NICU, was in the reception area. She helped us unload 15 boxes and was so pleased to learn that they were for the NICU.

After Santa makes his deliveries on Christmas day, Sister Bernice (the chaplain) will take some of the ghans and use them when she finds a family in need of comfort. They will be used for her to wrap a baby who will never leave the hospital as their parents hold them for the last time. They will be given to babies whose parents are in need of comfort. They will be used to make a sick child feel more at home.

Christmas came early for me this year. I feel like I do after opening presents. I feel so lucky to have been able to do this for the hospital... I am even luckier that I have such wonderful friends here on the Ville who helped to make this happen.

Thank you all of you! :hug

The afghans made it to the hospital today.

We arrived, and the hospital chaplain, a lovely nun who was so kind to us when our son was in the NICU, was in the reception area. She helped us unload 15 boxes and was so pleased to learn that they were for the NICU.

After Santa makes his deliveries on Christmas day, Sister Bernice (the chaplain) will take some of the ghans and use them when she finds a family in need of comfort. They will be used for her to wrap a baby who will never leave the hospital as their parents hold them for the last time. They will be given to babies whose parents are in need of comfort. They will be used to make a sick child feel more at home.

Christmas came early for me this year. I feel like I do after opening presents. I feel so lucky to have been able to do this for the hospital... I am even luckier that I have such wonderful friends here on the Ville who helped to make this happen.

Thank you all of you! :hug

Kathryn, you've done a wonderful thing and I am honored to have been able to take part. I wish I had gotten my last few items in the mail to you on time, but they will reach you next year for your next Christmas delivery. Thank you for allowing us to help make Christmas special for those in need. I am writing this with tears in my eyes...

Christmas came early for me this year. I feel like I do after opening presents.

All of you who gave to this effort are blessed. It's all about the giving...not the receiving. In the giving, you receive blessings untold. :hug:manyheart Kathryn, I'm sure you feel much, much better than after opening presents. Presents don't last but the blessings all of you received in the giving will never die.

Unfortunately, I didn't get my contribution in the mail in time but I plan to give it to the Gospel Mission here in my city. The needs are everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I didn't get notification that there were new posts? Hmmm... I'm subscribed to the thread, how strange!

Yes, I am doing this next year too. In fact, I'm doing this every year till I'm dead, so anytime you want to jump in will be great! In fact, I just got a Pm today that Hockeymomcrochets has started us off on our 2009 collection! She put ghans for next year in the mail to me!

I'm still so excited about this year's delivery. I still have that "after present" feeling -- where you can just feel the love and caring in the air. It's wonderful! Thank you Thank you Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
Jessica - how wonderful of you!! Yes, I am absolutely doing this - every year till l'm dead.

Let's hope you do not expire any time soon!;)

All kidding aside, I have been on the receiving end of your mission, and I could not be more greatful for knowing my Adam was comforted by love and caring of others who were unknown to me.

I just want to simply say "Thank you".

Let's hope you do not expire any time soon!;)

All kidding aside, I have been on the receiving end of your mission, and I could not be more greatful for knowing my Adam was comforted by love and caring of others who were unknown to me.

I just want to simply say "Thank you".

I second your motion about me not dying anytime soon!:lol

I too am a NICU mom... while my DS never received an afghan, he did get handmade cards from school kids that are some of my most prized posessions. The kindness we were shown is the reason I do this. I'll never be able to repay God for the blessing he gave us in the recovery of our son, but I hope that this, in some small way, shows my grattitude.

• 2 weeks later...

This letter arrived today from the hospital:

The holiday season is the season for children. It is the time of year when the community has the same mission that Children's Hosital and Research Center Oakland has each and every day: to care for children in need regardless of their family circumstances. Thanks to you for your donation of baby afghans and caps, this season was brighter for our kids.

Community support and donations have been integral to the success of Children's mission since we opened our doors nearly 100 years ago. There are beautiful faces here all year, but during the holiday season, they really light up! Singing, gift giving, parties, activities, and a visit from Santa with gifts for each child in the hospital, make this holiday season a very special time. The children's smiles are made possible by the thoughtfulness and generosity ofour community, and we thank you for your donation.

Children's Hosptial Oakland is a non-profit freestanding children's hosptial and is dedicated to providing world-class health care to all children in the region regardless of their family's ability to pay. Children's is the designated pediatric trauma center for Northern California, and our Level 1 Emergency Room is the busiest pediatric ER between Los Angeles and Seattle. Your generosity helps brighten hundreds of lives and your support helps us continue our important mission.

Please accept my personal thanks, on behalf of the kids and families at Children's.

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart to all of you who helped with this project. You are wonderful wonderful people! :hug

• 3 months later...

Archived