Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

Here are the beauties sent in by YarnJeannie. Three of the softest afghans you'd ever cuddle in, and some very sweet hats. I love the pattern of them. The bow up top actually cinches the hat together... like a drawstring. It's really really cute.

004-1.jpg

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kathryn, I'm glad that you received the afghans - that was fast! I do hope they bring comfort to little ones and their parents in need of comfort. I will try to do a few more and send them later this year - I'll let you know when I have some ready.

I have one blanket done and I am working on the second. I was wondering how many you still needed? I think my mom put up a picture of it earlier on this thread.

Yes she did Taylor. I can't even tell you how honored I am that the first ghan you completed you are sending to me to help the babies.

I currently have 61! There are, I believe 60 beds in the NICU, but there might be 80... I can't remember. I've been working under the assumption that there are 60 beds.

I'm hoping to collect more than the 61 I already have, so that there will be options for the babies. I'd like all the full term and older babies to be able to have appropriate size afghans, as well as making sure that all the preemies who might be there have a ghan that is their size.

Also, any number above what the NICU holds, will just mean that the babies that may arrive in the days following the holiday will be able to get something.

In short, I'm hoping to take as many afghans as possible to the NICU for Christmas. If that means that babies that arent' there that day are able to receive some love from a stranger, so much the better.

I do appreciate everything that everyone has sent and done. Having a child who is sick, changes who you are forever... even after they become well. I want you all to know that what you are doing for these families will be a kindness that they remember for their entire lives. You are doing more than just giving a lovely gift to a sick baby. You are giving their parents the strength to get through the day.

:hug

Taylor asked how many more afghans I needed, and that got me to realizing that I didn't know if there were 60 or 80 beds in the NICU. So, I just called them and asked.

There's only 40 beds! We already have 61 afghans! :cheer That means that there are definately enough for the babies on Christmas day - with enough to pick appropriate sizes for each child. :cheer

I am still collecting and making ghans to bring with me in December. The more that I'm able to bring, the more families we are able to help. Anyday that your child is sick is devastating.

I know that there are a few of you out there who have been making them to send later, I sincerely hope that even though we've reached the numbers for Christmas day that you are still willing to send them to me.

I am so grateful to all of you for all your help. Now, with each ghan we get, we are helping babies that will be there on a different day! More families to feel the love from all of you. Thank you so much!:hug:hug

With preemies, they will tend to have more tubes and wires attached to them. To be honest, they aren't going to be moving much to get their fingers caught... but the wires and tubes will.

I've made a couple of granny ghans, but have made those in a larger size for a child who may have less attached to them.

Thanks so much!

You can make it up to anysize you want that would be appropriate for an infant.

I've been making them no bigger than 36(ish) inches across. There are babies in issolettes and some larger babies in full size cribs. So, anything cribsize would be fine.

I was going through my stash and found a nice sized ball of joann's sensation boucle yarn left over from a Seraphina shawl I did earlier in the year. It was enough to make a 17" granny square ghan, so its sized for a little one. Its so soft...I love that yarn! I'll be sending that to you along with the preemie hat my friend made this week.

I was going through my stash and found a nice sized ball of joann's sensation boucle yarn left over from a Seraphina shawl I did earlier in the year. It was enough to make a 17" granny square ghan, so its sized for a little one. Its so soft...I love that yarn! I'll be sending that to you along with the preemie hat my friend made this week.

Oh, Christina! That's going to be sooooooooooo soft!:c9 Thank you so much! Tell your friend thank you for the hat!

The mail in my neighborhood is delivered to a central mailbox a few houses away. Everything is under key. I opened my small mailbox, and had a key waiting for me to open the larger box for when you have packages delivered.

"I wonder what I got?" I thought.

I had no idea that I had a box waiting for me with FOURTEEN preemie afghans from Crochetingmama (Pam). These, like the ones she sent before area made with Homespun and are soft and lovely. Look how pretty they all are!

001-8.jpg

Hi Kathryn. WOW! It looks like things are really hopping on here. The response for these babies is fantastic!

This is gonna sound dumb but the fact is I'd like to finish up. The blanket I'm working on is at 23" x 30" and has 4 rounds of border that are yet to be done. I think once the border is done, it will add a total of 2" to the width and the length making it right now to be about 25 x 32. 25" is probably not long enough, is it? By the pattern, the blanket is about 40" x 32". Would you like for me to continue through the full pattern?

I'm not experienced with baby blankets anymore and not sure what measurements are ideal.

Along with the blanket is a poncho, hat and booties, all sized for a newborn. Here are links to the pictures from the designer of the pattern itself...not what I've done. Couldn't seem to find any pics I had taken and I know I took some to send to the designer. Anyway, I started this set quite some time ago and it has been sitting here as a WIP for awhile.

The poncho, booties and hat -- I modified the hat and used the shell pattern throughout.

http://www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/softbabyshellset.jpg

Here's the blanket:

http://www.crochetmemories.com/patterns/softbabyshellblanket.jpg

Linda, I can absolutely use them! Thank you so much. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive!

Christina, just letting you know, I haven't been able to post a pic of the package you sent yet... am hoping to tonight. DS and DD are both getting sick, so the evenings have been a bit hectic.

Linda, I can absolutely use them! Thank you so much. I'll let you know as soon as they arrive!

Christina, just letting you know, I haven't been able to post a pic of the package you sent yet... am hoping to tonight. DS and DD are both getting sick, so the evenings have been a bit hectic.

Don't worry about it! I hope the kiddos feel better soon!

Here is the wonderful package I received a few days ago from Christina (Criskad). The preemie ghan is out Sensations -- and it's soooooooooooo soft!:c9

The cap is very soft and a sweet pattern with little shells on it. Both are going to make a baby and family so very happy!

001-10.jpg

Archived