Afghans for NICU babies for Christmas -THANK YOU LETTER POST 266

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These beauties are from Abbiezbabies (Terry). They arrived today. I love them all, but I think my favorite is the pink and purple one. I've never seen a granny ghan with different size grannies in it. Very creative!

These three will make a family and baby feel so loved this Christmas!

002-9.jpg

Thank you Terry.

I am bringing the afghans on December 6th. So, as long as I get them before then, they will go with this year's donation. Otherwise, they can be the first I receive for next year!

The smallest babies are very small. Think about the length of a barbie doll, chunkier.

There are babies all the way up to a year old in the NICU. So, anysize is going to go to use.

All I can say is "Wow!"

My DH came in from the garage carrying a HUGE box. Even he gets excited by the arrivals. My DD came running - and so did her best friend. Everyone was so excited.

Look what was inside! 11 ghans from Clueless!!! There were ghans of all sizes and styles. Lovely Edgerydoo ones (note to self: get a skip-stitch blade) in beautiful edges... a beautiful rainbow RR - and ghans ranging in size from preemie to full term. Aren't they all lovely!

(and, for those keeping track -- We've hit the one hundred mark! These ghans take us to 102!!!! Thank you all and God Bless each and everyone of you for your generosity and thoughtfulness. You humble me)

002-10.jpg

001-15.jpg

Clueless sent 12 ghans, not 11! I had put this one to the side so I could lay it out properly for the picture.. and then I forgot to count it and take it's picture.

That means we are at 103!!

If I could hug each one of you right now, I would. You just amaze me.:hug:hug:hug

003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone post instructions for crocheting edges on the fleece blankets?? I have never done this but I am sure it would work up quickly and I could contribute. Thanks:manyheart

I've seen patterns on the edgerydoo site.. also on the project Linus site as well.

And, my huge apologies to Kenfreck. She sent a lovely ghan that I got over the weekend, and have needed to post a photo of. However, I've been running around like a fool after work everynight trying to get ready for DS's birthday party this weekend.

I promise, pics tonight!

Here is the lovely preemie ghan that Kenfreck did for the babies. The color is a lovely mint green - no matter what my camera says it is.:lol

I love this pattern... gives a nice ribbed effect to the ghan. What pattern did you use PJ?

This is going to make a tiny baby and their family feel so loved. Thank you!

001-16.jpg

I'm new here adn just found this thread, but I'd like to contribute for next year. Maybe by then I'll have something finished to send. I have not had much time to crochet with my job taking so much time lately, but I'm determined that w i l l get better!

I love this pattern... gives a nice ribbed effect to the ghan. What pattern did you use PJ?

This is going to make a tiny baby and their family feel so loved. Thank you!

001-16.jpg

for the life of me I can't find the pattern. I looked months ago but I could remember making a blanket for my grandma with the same pattern so I checked it out. I have to book here somewhere but only the dust bunnies know where it is. :D

You chain an even number of stitches, any size you want, then SC, DC in the second chain from hook, skip CH, SC,DC in next chain, skip chain and so on til the end. You skip a chain in between each SC, DC group. at the end chain 1 and turn. repeat pattern (SC, DC) in back of SC loop from first row. just keep repeating until you have it as big as you want it.

I "think" it was called a popcorn stitch but I can't find it anywhere online or in any books that I've looked through in craft stores.

I hope this makes sense. I have never had to 'write out' a pattern before lol

Jill, that's wonderful of you to help, and there will certainly be babies there next year who will appreciate what you make. I'll start a 2009 thread out sometime after the new year.

PJ, you did great writign that out!

• 2 weeks later...

I just made a preemie blanket today and am looking for someone that needs one. Looks like I found the right place. I can make a few more in the next few days. Can you PM me with the addy please.

Carol

My husband's brother is getting married today, and we are gaining a niece and nephew out of the deal. I told my DH that I would make both the kids a ghan for Christmas. My new nephew just turned 4, so I got some camo yarn and made this ghan. My DH declared that it was girlie :(, so it's now going to make it's home with a NICU baby.

100_4588.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been online in quiet a while - the holidays keep us all pretty busy, don't they? I just wanted to let you all know that I will be taking the ghans down to the hospital tomorrow. Tonight I will organize everything and I will let you all know the exact count of preemie ghans, full size ghans, hats etc.

The total ghans are at 109, but I don't have a breakdown of how many preemie vs full sized.

I will try to post a pic, if I can get one, of all the ghans together. Otherwise, I will certainly update you all about the drop off!

Thank you again -all of you - for helping me with this cause that is so close to my heart.

Kathryn, I haven't been on the Ville regularly for quite awhile myself. I am so sorry that I haven't mailed my package...just too slow.

I just got the blanket, hat and booties washed (I know they will get rewashed in baby soap but I washed them anyway).

I guess it's too late to send them? If so, I can always give the set to help someone here.

So sorry but it sounds like you have quite a bit to drop off tomorrow which is fantastic. Great job, everyone.

:hug

My mom and I just finished organizing all the ghans... preemies in their own box, newborn in theirs, etc.

The division is pretty even.

We have 46 preemie ghans :cheer:clap

31 newborn ghans :cheer:clap

38 full sized up to one year ghans :cheer:clap

16 hats! :cheer:clap

That's 110 afghans! :hug:hug:hug

My mom worked on knitted projects for the older kids, and she contributed:

7 hats :cheer:clap

3 sets of hats and scarves :cheer:clap

3 sets of hats and fingerless gloves :cheer:clap

1 set of fingerless gloves :cheer:clap

11 scarves :cheer:clap

It took 15 boxes of office paper sized boxes to fit it all -- I'm not even sure it will fit in my SUV!!

You wonderful wonderful people. I feel so honored and blessed that you all would donate your time and talents to help me. Know that the families who receive your gifts will never forget your kindness... not for as long as they live. I know that I never will. :manyheart

Archived