The Unwanted Martha Stewart Poncho...

So a few years ago (right after Martha was released lol), my grandmother made me the Coming Home poncho. She did a lovely job and it's a gorgeous shade of blue (LB Homespun Regency, I think), but here's the problem: I've had it ever since and haven't worn it, except once to see what it looked like on. I think I look silly in it and honestly it just gets in the way. I feel awful about it, but it's just not my style and DH laughs whenever I consider it. :blush I hate not using it because she put so much work into it, so I almost think that I could at least take it apart and use the yarn to make something I would use, but then I go back to how much work she put into it. :think

There's my dilemma. What would YOU do?? I'm so confused!

Well, since I make ponchos and shawls the most, and know the amount of work put into them, and since you won't be using it, I'd pass it on to someone who would wear it. They'd be so grateful to have it, you'd feel so good giving it away to be cherished and worn, and I think...in that case...everyone wins!!

Lauren

Do you get cold at home or the movies?

How about wearing it while watching tv instead of a sweater? Or on the computer. You don't have to wear it every time, just enough to get use out of it.

How big is it? Can you use it more like a shawl? Again not every time, just at home or at the movies.

Maybe as a lap blanket.

I personally wouldn't take it apart because it was your grandma who made it. It could be something to pass down one day and say "hey, look what grandma made..."

Just my .02 cents

So a few years ago (right after Martha was released lol), my grandmother made me the Coming Home poncho. ................

There's my dilemma. What would YOU do?? I'm so confused!

Consider since it is from your grandmother who made it and not just the time, but also all the love that poured into it with her thoughts about you. (not trying to make you feel guilty here :D)

Maybe, there is a way you could add a little something to it to alter the look of it to be more you.

This past winter I saw quite a few ponchos being worn by young and old in town. This pattern was one of them and it looked smashing with blue jeans and boots!

I think I would keep it and use it just to cover up with when you're on the couch or your chair or something. I think you'll one day regret it if you give it to someone else and I think you're sure to one day regret it if you take it apart. Just think she did every single stitch in there.

Keep it! Keep it! There's no way you could frog that much homespun anyway. It tangles in itself and the threads break. Many years ago my grandmother made me a poncho. It was my favorite color, purple. What I wouldn't give to find that poncho now. I outgrew it and my mother probably gave it away.

I think that's what I'll do. I'll just wear it around the house and let DH laugh. :P I think I'll definitely want it when she isn't around anymore.

And that's a good point about pulling out Homespun. :yes

If you don't want to wear it, or like the way it looks just bag it up in one of those spacebags and save it. Your grandmother made it for you, just write on a piece of paper when she made it and gave it to you and put it away. You could always pass it down to someone. Your grandmother is not going to be here forever.

why not start a hope chest to give to your child and say your great grandmother made this and that way you don't have to wear it and your grandmother hard work didn't go to waste

Don't frog it... first of all homespun is nearly unusable if it's been frogged.

If you REALLY don't want it, I can trade either some yarn from my stash or a finished amigurumi for you. (possibly maybe a stuffie made from the same kind of yarn as the poncho?)

I guess it depends on how sentimental you are.

Personally, I would keep it and pass it down to one of my daughters. Of all the things my mother made, I only have 1 afghan and 1 sweater. I have 2 quilts that my great-grandmother made. I won't say they're my most prized possessions because they're not but they are items that tie me to my ancestors and that's what makes them important.

I wouldn't frog any article made from homespun. I made a few Martha ponchos and they are a lot of work, especially when using the homespun yarn. Your grandmother made you a lovely piece of history. You should cherish it or at least give it to another family member.

I'm with those who have said that I would wear it either to keep cozy in the house or to wear for sitting outside if you don't want to wear it to town, justfor the fact that it was made for you by your grandmother. If it had even been made for you by a friend it would be different, but grandmothers are special people, and I wish that I still had the ponchos that my grandmother had made me. They'd be all kinds of out of style right now, but they were from her, and that's what would have mattered to me.

Bear in mind that I don't wear ponchos.....

Could you do something to fill in the hole where it goes over your head? Would you then have a round afghan to use?

Whenever anyone makes or gives me something for free, I keep it... even if I never use it. When that person is gone, it will become a keepsake you will treasure.

I have frogged Homespun before, but just a row or two if I found a mistake, but it has to be done very carefully. It didn't ruin the yarn at all.

I am assuming the poncho is very heavy, right? So it might be a little uncomfortable to wear inside the house. I suggest wearing it outdoors sometime... take a walk, sit in the yard in the morning to drink coffee, or just out to get the paper. OR just fold it and put it in a plastic ziplock bag and look at it. But don't destroy it, or take it apart. Remember how much time and love went into the construction process!

I like the "depending how sentimental you are". I am so I would keep it.

I've made one and they are very warm. I considered adding a square in the neck part and an edging to match the center square to make it a lapghan, but it's so nice to wear when it gets cold around my shoulders (first cold day last fall I wore it!) and can still work as a lapgahn.

Debbi

I like the lapghan idea. I might have to see about adding a piece to fill the neckhole, but even if I don't, I'll use it as a lapghan. I just hate seeing it hanging all lonely in the closet and Homespun is soooo soft. :manyheart

Archived