Does hook Brand really matter?

Clover Soft touch for me. Only hook I will use. I find my hand does not get tired when crocheting. If I have to use larger than a "J" or smaller than a "C" I don't do the pattern. I just gave one to my cousin today and she could not believe how much difference that was. She took off to the JoAnn'a fabrics to buy a complete set. They have an instore coupon for 40% off on hooks and knitting needles. :hook

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I picked up a set of Bates hooks and am trying them out tonight. I am also anxious to try the Clover hooks but did not see any at our JoAnn's today. However I did get a great deal on the Crochet Encylopedia and a Leisure Arts Afghan book.

I think I forget to mention the reason I was inquiring about different hooks was the pain I have been having in my wrist. Hurt so bad I really did not want to crochet........now that is unheard of in this house. Thanks so much for all the input!

There are lots of things that can help with wrist pain: wearing those wrist braces at night, pads on crochet hooks, taking breaks, stretching. The Clover Soft Touch hooks are popular with some for that reason. There are special ergonomically designed hooks. Jimbo could make you something designed for you if you send him photos or a video.

I'm sure others will have some more ideas.

There are lots of things that can help with wrist pain: wearing those wrist braces at night, pads on crochet hooks, taking breaks, stretching. The Clover Soft Touch hooks are popular with some for that reason. There are special ergonomically designed hooks. Jimbo could make you something designed for you if you send him photos or a video.

I'm sure others will have some more ideas.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions.:hug I am going to pick up a wrist brace. Between work and hobbies I get a lot of wrist pain:( (of course darn arthritis does not help) I really like the new hooks but can't switch off and use them on my current project because it changed my gauge too much.

this is a really interesting topic, as for the aluminum ones, i much prefer boye to bates. maybe because they are longer but they work the best for me. i hav a large collection of hooks and as far as wood hooks my jimbos win hands down, i also have some of those cherry wood hooks and varies specialty ones. one of my most favorite was made for me by a member right here on the ville. she used clay and made a cover for a boye hook and is absulutly THE QUEEN for giving me that wonderful hook, another couple i have are the bejewled ones that another friend got me started on. for all of my basic hooks though got to say a boye:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting:crocheting

Very interesting topic! I mostly use Boye, well, because that's what I have, lol! I did inheret a Bates "h" hook which I like, but I don't get the same gauge with it that I do with my Boye hook? Is that normal? My all time favorite hook is my Jimbo chophook! :cheer

Very interesting topic! I mostly use Boye, well, because that's what I have, lol! I did inheret a Bates "h" hook which I like, but I don't get the same gauge with it that I do with my Boye hook? Is that normal? My all time favorite hook is my Jimbo chophook! :cheer

I picked up the Bates last night and could not use them on my current project because the gauge was off.

I tend to prefer Boye, as that's the hook I started with ages ago. However, I do like the Bates Quicksilver hooks for yarn that splits...for some reason, that coating on them fixes it so that the yarn doesn't split.

I used Boye's until just a couple of months ago when some ladies at the Ville were talking about Bates Silvalume. So, since I work near a JoAnn's I went there on my lunch hour and they were on sale. I really do like them and feel it helps me with the 'splitting' problems I had.

As for wrist problems, I have a brace that I often wear. I made sure it was one that wouldn't catch the yarn and it really helps with any pain or stress on my wrist.

~ Debby

I think that my preference has less to do with the hook that I am actually going to use and more to do with the project. I have Boye (both aluminum and plastic) and Bates (love the acrylic) in all sizes. I have an S Lion hook that I haven't used that much, but I like it. Of the ones that I have, I haven't found any that I don't like, or any that I prefer more than another.

I don't make much clothing, so I tend not to worry about gauge that much. I use whatever hook gives me the look and feel that I want. When I start a project, I tend to have in mind the way I want it to be, and I try several different hooks until I get what I want. If that is one of my acrylic ones or one of my aluminum ones...fine. I like to experiment.

One very cool thing, though, recently happened. :hook My mom found a box of my grandmother's hooks, and she gave them to me. I am the only one in the family who crochets. My grandmother must have had the same philosophy that I do, because there were about 20 different hooks of several brands and sizes in the box. I just finished an afghan for my niece made using my grandmother's H hook. (Boye.) Incidentally, it had a price of 29 cents stamped on it. :D

On a side note...about the pain you're having: I used to work as a proof operator at a very large bank...(encoding the line of numbers on the bottom of checks.) Imagine 8 or more hours a day at 12,000 keystrokes per hour. We were paid on speed and accuracy. My right hand and arm were constantly strained, and we were a high risk for carpal tunnel. The key is to stretch and warm up your wrist, hand and arm before you begin crochet. I still do this all the time. It takes only a few minutes before you start...and be sure to stretch and take breaks after a while.

Until recently I've preferred Boye hooks. However, since using Inox steel hooks with a plastic handle, I plan to get some of their larger hooks. Until then the Boye's will be fine with me. Not too crazy about the Bates. The only non-metal hook I like is an older Balene hook from Boye - not the newer plastic Balene II hooks.

Beverly

I can use any hook I'm handed, but a cheap plastic hook I'll throw at the person who handed it to me.

I really like both Bates and Boye, and the no brand plastics and metals my cousin keeps coming up with are pretty cool. (I got a set of no brand bamboos from my dad, and I love them.)

I have a set of white plastic hooks from susan bates (I think) that I have no clue as to the name of, but they are very nice... I'm using one right now.

Speaking of Jimbo - my wood hooks are personalized. I have 3!!! :)

The first one we mailed back and forth a couple times and I marked the spots where my hand and thumb sit. He was able to use those measurements for the other 2. There is nothing like using a hook that is shaped to your hand!

I like the way he does the tops of his hooks also. They are inline but they're not dramtically cut.

Speaking of Jimbo - my wood hooks are personalized. I have 3!!! :)

The first one we mailed back and forth a couple times and I marked the spots where my hand and thumb sit. He was able to use those measurements for the other 2. There is nothing like using a hook that is shaped to your hand!

I like the way he does the tops of his hooks also. They are inline but they're not dramtically cut.

I will put a Jimbo Hook on my "wish list" for my hubby!

After all the posts I want to try all the hooks! I will have more hooks than yarn:think......nah, never happen:lol

I love Boye and it's because they are longer. I like the Bates but can't use them because they are short and cause pain in my palm. I do have the larger Bates hooks, L and M because I could not find them in Boye, but the Bates in those sizes are larger so they are great. I have Boye cushions on all of my hooks to help with the pain and it works.

I'm a Susan Bates fan. Acquired one somehow and haven't used my Boye hooks since.

My favorites are Bates with a Bamboo handles. For an old guy like me, it's easier to grip, I don't get stiff using them. If you can't find them locally, just Google "Bamboo handle crochet hook". I got a set (G through N) from Herrschners

After discovering the Bamboo handles, I found a site that shows how to put a handle on the small, steel hooks as well. If you give me a second, I'll look it up...here it is:

I used the idea, but not the materials to add onto my #1 steel hook using yarn. It worked great!

I think I forget to mention the reason I was inquiring about different hooks was the pain I have been having in my wrist. Hurt so bad I really did not want to crochet........now that is unheard of in this house. Thanks so much for all the input!

I also suffer with severe wrist pain and I have found not only do a wrist brace help but try using the bates hook s that have a bamboo type handle. They are working for me. Also Lion has out fingleless gloves that are use for the prevention of hand and wrist pain when performing repetetive hand movements. They also are working for me. I also crochet with my hand brace on because I need to crochet. :devil Hope this helps. Hug :hug

Hi Everyone! :waving

Just thought I'd throw in my opinion on this!

I'm a relatively new crocheter. My grandmother taught me the basics when I was maybe five or six years old. I didn't go too far, basically only made lengths and lengths of chains and maybe a granny square or something like that. It didn't matter what we were making, I was so happy to be crocheting along side of her! :)

Anyhoo, I digress. . . after she passed, I didn't have anyone else who could show me the more advanced stitches, so I kept the hook she gave me (a bone hook) in a special box along with the last "project" I'd worked on with her. (a six foot long rope :P) and always thought I'd just keep it for the memories.

After becoming an amputee in 2007, I decided to pick up a hook again and see what I could teach myself. I used crochet as a way to pass the time during physical and occupational therapy breaks while I was in the rehab center. I tried searching out the type of hook grandma used at the local craft store but quickly learned they don't make them like that anymore, or at least my local craft store doesn't seem to stock them! :P

So, the first hook I purchased was a Boye. At that time I wasn't aware of the differences in hooks. I used those for about three months and found the rounded style of the head to be very difficult at times as I tend to hold the hook closer to th edge of my work. I didn't learn about the shape of a Susan Bates hook until I purchased the "Crochet Teacher" kit which came with a couple of different sizes of the SB hook. Now I swear by SB hooks! The inline shape of the hook head is so very much easier for me to work with and I seem to crochet much faster with them than I do an aluminum Boye hook.

I have a Clover Soft Touch in size 6.0 that was given to me as a gift. Though I like the soft touch handle, I don't use it much because of the Boye style hook head. I recently purchased a set of rosewood hooks in sizes G-J that I use from time to time. I wanted to try out the feel of a wood hook and they were on sale, which is always a plus! :P

I like them because they are slick and sort of shaped like the SB hooks. I have to be careful when using them with certain types of yarn though! They tend to fray the fibers if I have to frog back a few times. (which I generally do, lol)

As far as wood hooks go, I've discovered the SB Bamboo handle hook which combines my favorite type of hook with the comfort of a bamboo handle. For large hook sizes though they are somewhat pricey, I prefer these. I'm not sure if they come in smaller sizes but if I ever come across them I'm going to be sure to pick them up because they are just yummy!

Rounding out my collection, I have a large sized (L-P I believe) set of YarnBee plastic hooks. These were sort of an impulse buy. I picked them up on clearance for $3 at Hobby Lobby. At the time, I hadn't tried plastic or a hook larger than size 6.5 and I'd been wanting to try a plastic hook and I'd also wanted to experiment with the larger hook sizes, so this set was the perfect solution for that. I don't use them as often as some of my other large hooks but they are useful for some types of yarn. The reason I don't use them more often is because they have a tendency to "stick" and the yarn does not slide as easily as I'd like but hey, on the goofy positive side they're pretty pink and blue and they glitter! LOL

I crochet pretty tightly so I tend to use sizes 6.0 and 6.5 pretty often. I recently found the Balene plastic hook set on clearance for $4 and although as I said, I don't normally like the Boye style hooks, I liked the feel of the material and thought I'd give those a try. I figured if I didn't care for them I wouldn't have spent a lot and I could always give them away if I didn't care for them. These are hands down the best plastic hooks I've tried so far. The material is neither too slick or too "sticky" and they hook your yarn rather nicely. I haven't tried SB plastics yet but I've heard both good and bad things about them. What do you guys think? Has anyone here used the SB plastic hooks or the crystalites set?

All in all, I think it's best to have a selection of materials and brands in your hook case. I've found in the short time that I've been crocheting that certain yarns respond better to say plastic than they do wood for example. :) Just my opinion on the matter!

Bet'cha didn't think this post would be so long, did ya? LOL. If you chose to read it all the way through, thanks for reading my opinion on brand/hook type!

Archived