Things you see at walmart :-)

I stopped by walmart for yarn needles (why I can never find the ones I already own when I need them, I don't know). It's after midnight. Standing by the yarn bins are two women, one younger (about my age, I suppose) teaching the older one (about my mother's age) to crochet - with a hook and yarn right out of her purse, no less :-) Kind of a quick and dirty crash course in basic stitches, and suggestions on where to find a teacher. They parted company, each with a skein of yarn.

Really looked like a destined to be meeting of strangers. Gotta' wonder about those kinds of things ...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have taught several people to crochet :lol in a store, never Walmart, but Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

And about the hook in her purse...:hook

I hate to admit this :blush, but have to...

I not only carry a hook in my purse, but a tape measure (tiny of course), a folding pair of scissors, and a darning needle!!! :eek

You never know where you'll be and only need to get a skein of yarn :yarn for an emergency must crochet situation!! :crocheting

I also have a bag of crochet projects in my car at all times, too. :yes

Am I sad or what?! :D

I've never taught a stranger to crochet, but one day in the doctors office I saw this teen struggling with WW yarn and a really small hook, like a C or D. As the DR called me back, I laid an I hook on the table in front of her and whispered, "It'll be easier with a bigger hook."

I am actually attempting to re-teach my mother to crochet. Apparently she used to crochet when she was 18, which is over 32 years ago. Now, all I ever see her with is knitting needles. When we visited for Easter, I, of course brought out my latest project. A few minutes later my mom emerged from the basement with 4 granny square bags she had not finished. So, I finished them! I was amazed that she was using a size B hook. :eek But I adapted, then I showed her the difference between the single crochet and a sl st. :lol I still don't think she will put down her needles just yet though. I would always recommend the "I taught myself to crochet" book by Boye to any beginner, it comes with hooks and some accessories too. :manyheart

I have a ball of cotton for dish cloths in my purse, a hook and a letter opener ( from my LYS to cut the thread.) In my glove box is the same set up only in a differnt color. I helped the receptionist at the Dr. office with a couple stitches last week. We will continue our lessons at my next apt.:crocheting:cheer

I always carry a project wherever i go because i hate to sit and wait! My fiance always rolls his eyes when i take my bag of crochet with me. But I am not going to be caught broke down with out sometihing to do again.

While looking for some yarn, I met a lady at Michaels in the yarn department. We got to talking and she said she always wanted to make a scarf, but didn't know how. She knew a few basic stitches, so after she purchased a hook and a skein of yarn, we sat in my car out in the parking lot and I got her started on her scarf and gave her my email address. Later on, she emailed me that she had finished the scarf and started another. I always keep a bag in my car with needles and yarn to work on while I am waiting somewhere. This time, it really came in handy to show this lady how to get going on her scarf! :hook

I always carry several projects around with me. And any time I know I'm going to a store with yarn (can't leave without at least looking...:hook) I try to remember to bring a hook with me. That way if I buy something I don't have to wait 'til I get home to try it out.

I'm soooo glad to hear I'm not alone! I always carry hook and yarn with me. I never want to be stuck somewhere without a project! I just bought a t-shirt this weel theat proudly exclaims"Happy Hooker!" I hope there are crochet groups in heaven!!!!

I was helping a freind yarn shop at wal-mart one day, and she was surprised when the craft dept gal stopped to talk. I guess that is when I realized I spend a little more time there than most people. They know my by sight, and stop to talk to me about the yarns.

I was heading to the yarn at my local Zeller's store and a lady had some yarn arrayed on the top of a shopping cart. I had some space warp event happen where I just thought I was here at the Ville so I told her that one of her greens was a Yellow green and would not go well with her other blue-green colours. (it really didn't match at all)

fortunately, she did not call the authorities to have me sedated and we had a great chat about the Ripple ghan she was making for a 1yr granddaughter. (Which is another reason not to use a greyed out yellow/green)

I have no idea why i thought I should tell anyone what colours to use in a ghan. It is just that so many of us here show the colours and ask for help. :blush

I have a couple of hooks in my purse, just for back ups. Has anyone ever been in a yarn department and seen a skein with crocheting on it for sale? I have. I was at our local Meijers and there was a skein with a chain and sc attached to it. It was like someone tried it out and didn't like it.:shrug

i take a bag to work and also everywhere else that i go. they laugh at me that for carting that stuff around but i tell them that i must have my hooks and yarn with me always for security reasons. i just have to have them or i feel like i have left part of myself behind.

I was in walmart once and was asked if I crocheted and then asked about colors. I always feel like there is some unspoken bond when I am looking at yarn along with someone I have never seen or talked to before. :)

As for the bags...i always take something with me whenever we are going somewere. :hook My dh has started to just assume he is driving everywere. :lol But I may have to start putting something small in my purse:devil you just never know when the opportunity may arise.

Here at work we have a weekly "paper" that goes out on Fridays. Couple of weeks ago I was featured in the "Getting to Know..." section. Of course I talked about crocheting. Now I have one of the residents wanting to set up a meeting so I can show her how to start a basic granny and one tha wants to give away her verigated yarn. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to fraternize with the residents so I have no way to help the first and the residents are not allowed give ANYTHING to us so forget the second...:(

I guess that I am a closet crochetor...hehe :lol...I only take my crochet if I have a dr apt or car trip. I do not like people looking at me or asking questions while I am counting. My family I can ignore (they have also learned not to talk if my lips are moving) but strangers I cannot.

I was at a hair salon and finishing up when I spied a lady crocheting up a storm we got to talking and I told her about C-ville and how to find it. So I hope she did that was a few months ago.

I have to always have some crochet with me too. I don't crochet in the grocery store but I crochet a lot at appointments or waiting in the car for my son to get off work.

There are a serious lack of crocheters around here. I have only met one before, in the thrift store in the craft books section. She has been buying up all the crochet books! :lol

I rarely find any. She is even having them put aside crochet books for her. Ugh. Once in a while I find one or two mags or books before she has gotten them :D She had never heard of Crochetville. I was so surprised. I wrote it down for her (the website url) but not sure if she ever followed through.

I always carry crochet in the car, just in case I need it. My daughter always has her knitting with her. We have gone to Joann's with her knitting a project as we shop. It always draws attention and she is happy to share her joy of knitting with everyone who stops her. (When she was in high school she taught several friends to knit, although most of them didn't keep up with it.)

Archived