Fastest afghan to make?

I'm looking for an afghan that works up fast! I have some friends that are moving away, and I really want to give them an afghan before they leave. I work full-time, so I usually crochet in the evenings until I fall asleep, hook in hand! The afghan is mainly for a man, so nothing lacey or feminine-looking and I will probably use shades of blue. Please let me know the names of the patterns and where I can find them-online or store-for the fastest afghan to make!

Thanks!

Kelley-

Lion Brand has a "5 1/2 Hour Afghan" on their website that can be made in any color you choose. However, I made it with a P hook and two strands instead of 3 strands so it took longer to make.

http://www.lionbrand.com/content-crochetPatternIndex.html?l=1

Round ripples also work up nice and quick. Rectangle granny blankets are nice and snuggly because you can just stop when you want to... Kind of like the round ripple I guess.

Hugs and Cookies

Auntie K

Kelley-

Lion Brand has a "5 1/2 Hour Afghan" on their website that can be made in any color you choose. However, I made it with a P hook and two strands instead of 3 strands so it took longer to make.

http://www.lionbrand.com/content-crochetPatternIndex.html?l=1

Did this in the car on a 12 hour drive to NY ( I am a slow poke crocheter)-- turned out marvelous (sad that pictures turned out blurry) but it did work up fast in my opinion and you can choose whatever manly colors you want. I did the Q hook and 3 strands-- took a few minutes to get used to the giant hook but super easy v stitch pattern!

Those 5 1/2 hour afghans do look nice. I know someone who alternates rows of sc/dc or what she calls single, double triple. The one with the triple has a similar texture to a popcorn stitch.

I have done throws with just doubles or alternating doubles and half-doubles.

How about - work 2 strands of same color in different shades. ch enough to make it 4 feet across, dc rows until it's 6 feet tall. then do 1 round of border in 2 strands of lighter color and 1 round of border in darker color.

that would look cool.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I've actually done the crazy stitch many times before for my pet Snuggle mats that I donate to the animal shelter, but never knew the name of the stitch. My mom taught me that stitch years ago!

I think I will probably go with the V-stitch, I think! I just finished a very, very large round ripple and although in the beginning it was fast, by the time you get to the outer edges, it takes about ONE HOUR to go around the dang thing!-plus I need a break from that pattern.

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate everyone's input!

If you crochet tight enough a Q hook and 2 strands would work. But for most people that is a very BIG hook and you need at least 3 strands of WW yarn.

2 strands and an N or P hook work up fast for me.

I've also done fast ones, all in double crochet, with a K hook. But they're not as fast as a double strand one.

I did a double strand round ripple (the black and white on my blog) didn't take very long. I didn't finish it fast because it became a WIP for a while.

Debbi

Lion Brand has a pattern for a quick and easy afghan called "The Wrap". It's on a lot of the packages of Homespun yarn. It takes 6 skeins, two strands held together, with simple single crochet and a simple double crochet border. You use a Q sized hook. It's done in no time.

Lion Brand has a pattern for a quick and easy afghan called "The Wrap". It's on a lot of the packages of Homespun yarn. It takes 6 skeins, two strands held together, with simple single crochet and a simple double crochet border. You use a Q sized hook. It's done in no time.

I guess I'll have to look at the yarn, it's not on the lion brand website (yet).

They do, however, have a Four and a half Hour Afghan done with 2 strands of homespun and a Q hook...

• 8 months later...

Just thought I'd bring this back up for any late gifts people may be making....

not me... :blush

well okay, me.:lol

I wanted to make my best friend another afghan for Christmas (she loves last years) and took me forever to decide on a color scheme and then a pattern. I finally am doing one with 2 strands of yarn and a big hook in double crochet. So I think I'll finish by Christmas:blush

Debbi

Archived