Handwashing...

Am I the only one who washes her/his hands before I crochet? I realize out skin oil gets on our projects no matter what, but I was taught it was a good idea to do so. Could just be I'm a little OCD! :D

:cheerHooray for OCD. I wash my hands too. The oils are not the only thiings on our hands. . . I used to work as a unit secretary in a hospital and got in the habit of keeping my hands clean. fifteen years later the habit lives on.

:clap

Count me in too! I wash before and after and sometimes in between! I've just stopped crocheting for the night and now it is time for LOTION! My hands are very dry and I hate when the rough skin keeps catching on the yarn!

It depends on what I'm crocheting. If it's something I'm going to sell I always do, especially since I smoke (not in the apartment) and I don't want to cause allergies and such.

When it comes to other things I always wash the finished items anyway, so I don't really think about washing my hands.

Usually I crochet after dinner and I do the dishes so I guess that counts as washing your hands before I crochet. I am always washing my hands anyway and I put lotion on my hands now cause they are so dry. I always wash my project before I give them away.

I always wash my hands, so my hands usually feel quite dry (that is, the skin) before I start. I don't like having oily skin before I touch the wool and if my hands smell of whatever food I have been preparing, I'll scrub till they're spotless and odourfree! I don't wash the project before I give it away, but I am quite paranoid about not letting the wool fall on the floor, making sure my hair is well out of it, etc.

I don't like the idea of crocheting near animals or letting cats/dogs sleep on my work while I'm crocheting (unless it is destined for my own use.) I know everyone thinks their own pet is spotless, but I would not use a blanket a cat or dog has slept on :(

I crochet on the go most of the time, so I don't wash my hands. When I am home, I wash my hands frequently, especially working with thread. I always wash what I make, as I have pets and no matter how hard I try, their hair gets in the project.

When I learned to crochet, I was taught you always wash before crocheting, so I always have. I wash my hands a lot anyway, but it only makes sense.

BUT, THE LOTION ~ ladies, this can stain your projects. Lotions have oils in them, and when they don't, it's some other type of emollient such as lanolin, soft waxes, etc. And some lotions have color in them ~ faint, but it's there.

You can lotion all day long, and you should especially lotion before going to bed so it has time to penetrate and work, because it isn't being rubbed and washed off. BUT you really shouldn't lotion just when we all want to do it the most ~ when you crochet. Especially if you are using cotton yarn. That cotton is going to suck that lotion right up! Eeeeeeeeek!

I know that dry hands are a problem with yarn because I get dry hands in the winter also. I just bought some plush yarn, and talk about yarn that is touchy to the tiniest bit of hand dryness! This plush is so beautiful, I want to dive right into it, but I don't dare do any more than the swatching I just did for now. My hands will have to be super smooth to work with it.

I can't say that I do. I am as likely to just grab a hook and some yarn and start working to figure out a pattern or to help someone in Crochet Help.

I do tend to keep my hands clean generally... I think not washing after using the bathroom is a Capital Crime... so I wash frequently during the day.

Am I the only one who washes her/his hands before I crochet? I realize out skin oil gets on our projects no matter what, but I was taught it was a good idea to do so. Could just be I'm a little OCD! :D

Absolutely not! I not only wash them BEFORE I crochet, I stop periodically WHILE I'm crocheting to wash them. I figure oils from my skin could contribute toward dirtying the yarn, and even though I'm going to wash the item before I give it or use it, I want to keep it as clean as possible.

When I learned to crochet, I was taught you always wash before crocheting, so I always have. I wash my hands a lot anyway, but it only makes sense.

BUT, THE LOTION ~ ladies, this can stain your projects. Lotions have oils in them, and when they don't, it's some other type of emollient such as lanolin, soft waxes, etc. And some lotions have color in them ~ faint, but it's there.

You can lotion all day long, and you should especially lotion before going to bed so it has time to penetrate and work, because it isn't being rubbed and washed off. BUT you really shouldn't lotion just when we all want to do it the most ~ when you crochet. Especially if you are using cotton yarn. That cotton is going to suck that lotion right up! Eeeeeeeeek!

My thoughts exactly!

I wash my hands before crocheting and sometimes while I'm crocheting. Since my DH and I have 2 cats, I always wash whichever project (usually afghans) before I give it away. As much as you want to try to keep the pets from lying on your work while you're crocheting, it isn't always avoidable. And they usually look so cute snuggled on top of the afghan...as long as they don't "make biscuits," then I'm fine.

Archived