1. 1. I rate my crochet level at:

• beginner
    • advanced beginner
    • intermediate
    • expert

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say intermediate, I have been crocheting for 30 years, I have created items that say expert advanced and intermediate but I feel there is always more to learn. I can crochet without a pattern but prefer to use one.

:hug

After crocheting for 40+ years, I marked Intermediate but the real answer to this question is -- it depends. For some techniques, after I tried them, I didn't enjoy doing that technique so I didn't go any further with it.

i would have to say intermediate. Have been crocheting for 23 years. Have tried many many many patterns. Easy to intricate. Like the hard ones to keep the brain thinking. Have only not completed one, and I still think I have so much to learn.

I'm just getting around to reading this thread, and I am overwhelmed by the modesty and humility displayed. You're ranking yourselves, but I dare say if someone *else* looked at your work and projects (which we do!), the rankings would be considerably higher.

"Expert" does not mean "know-it-all"--it means a degree of confidence, experience, and skill that allows you to succeed at what you attempt. I would say that it's more about the quality of the work you choose to do (even stitches, ability to adapt patterns or designs, nice finishing) than about doing every possible kind of crochet. I don't make amis (unless I have to, for the kids) because I don't enjoy making them. I don't make afghans for various reasons. I don't make bedspreads or tablecloths out of thread because I don't have the patience for such a long-term project. I *could* make any of those things *if I wanted to*.

I didn't vote on the poll, but, with the lack of "experienced" as an option, I would call myself an expert, and probably most of you, too.

Actually, the very humility displayed here is a sign that what I'm saying is true, because it true that the more we learn, the more we realize what we don't know. Let's put it this way--if a real beginner looked at your work, what would they think? If you can become an "expert" in the field of physics or medicine in less than 25 years, I don't think 15-30 years of crocheting leaves you in the intermediate category *even if you haven't learned all there is to know*.

As if I haven't already said enough...

One more thing to remember--most experts specialize. Do you think your ENT is going to set your broken bones or give you a pelvic exam? No--he will refer you to doctors who specialize in those fields. Is an electrical engineer going to draw up plans for a bridge? Not likely! Does that mean he can't be "expert" engineer? You can be an expert crocheter, while neglecting whole realms of crochet possibilities (thread, beading, tunisian).

What I'm trying to say...don't sell yourselves short.

I would say I was intermediate. I have crocheted for 15 years, but I haven't tried everything that crochet has to offer.

:manyheart

Me too. Although I have been crocheting since I was 10 (I will be 51 in April), I would still classify myself as Intermediate when it comes to experience. There is so much that I have not yet learned, it boggles the mind to think just how much is involved in crochet! There are so many stitches I have yet to learn! I can't believe just how much I HAVE learned in the year that I have been a member of Crochetville! It was just the luckiest day of surfing the internet EVER the day I discovered this place while looking for patterns. When I get home from work each night, I unwind by visiting Crochetville and spending a couple of hours not only enjoying looking at all of the beautiful pieces that everyone has created that day, but learning something about crochet that I didn't previously know. What a fun way to get an education! :)

Elle

i've been crocheting for over 20 years. have made doilies, afghans, hats, afghans, etc. i've not made a sweater for an adult yet. just a little scared of it. i still have a lot to learn. this forum has helped me so much.

taught me new stitches and shown me beautiful patterns to try. gave me so much more confidence in myself.

I rated myself intermediate I have learned so much in the last 3 years since getting my computer. I think learning to use thread and make doilies and other projects has really expanded my knowledge of crochet. I can do stitches now that I didn't know existed. I have been crocheting for over 30 years and with the internet my world has really grown in the crochet way.

i put expert because i thought that 6 years made me prettygood!ha! was i wrong!i may have to revote or something......

i thought i was pretty good because i made up lots of patterns,but now im just sad......:(

I've been crocheting for about 15 years, a little more. But I still put advanced beginner because I can't work with thread or do filet crochet. I am pretty happy with what I can do though. It's interesting to see what others think of their levels.

I put intermediate as although crocheting for over 55 years, I am limited in my knowledge of all things crocheted. I can do hairpin, broomstick, cro hook, thread and much more. I learned at my grandma's knee and she could only pass on what she learned from her ancestors. I learned more through books and patterns, but have learned even more here on the ville, as well as created my own methods and designs.

I find it hard to be called expert until one has learned and is familiar with everything done with a hook and yarn.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been crocheting for 35 years now, but I rated myself as an advanced beginning. I don't use any complicated stitches -- just sc, dc, hdc in various combinations. However, the past four or five months, I've been deliberately trying more complicated patterns using those stitches -- I may be inching my way to beginning intermediate. :cheer:cheer

I'm going with Intermediate(+).

Obviously, that wasn't a choice, but even though I'm certainly beyond intermediate, I'm also no expert. If I were, I wouldn't have needed to post on the "Help" board a few days ago. :wink

I have experience in many different crochet techniques, including: Thread (doilies, ornaments, etc.) Tunisian, Cro-knit, & Cro-tat, as well as typical stuff like afghans, clothing, dishcloths, and the like. I've dabbled in freeform, and jewelry. And I've taught crochet classes in my community. At church, I'm the "lady that makes blankets for all the new babies." :hook There is always something new to learn, but I've done more with my hook than even I believe sometimes. :devil

April

:angel Victoria 1952 - 2008 :rip:heart U Sis! :pink 15 Year Breast Cancer Survivor :pink

I voted intermediate because I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and I've done thread, wearables, dolls, animals, etc. However there are still techniques that I haven't tried or that I'm now doing for the very first time!

Great question!! :clap

Before I joined here, I would have considered myself intermediate. Now that I am amidst such talent & expertise, I have to take a step back & call myself an advanced beginner. Who knew there was so much to crochet? I'm learning so much every day!

not very much stumps me when i am crocheting. i like all patterns and i usually can figure out what i need to do. the only thing that i can't write a pattern for myself that has to do with clothing....

I need an advanced beginner-intermediate option :lol

I voted intermediate but there is so much that I don't do with crochet that has my hooks dragging behind to the advanced beginner category...I say "don't" because it was by choice I didn't learn more in other techniques, in the many years that I have crocheted. Mostly from a lack of patience :P

I am a beginner in some crochet techniques, a intermediate in some & "very experienced" in some basic crochet. Overall I'd say I'm in the middle though. Given a hook & enough yarn I can usually come up with what I am looking for. Some areas I stay away from like small thread, because it aggravates my tendinitis. I don't make many wearables...I just can't afford to spend $40 for a sweater very often. I make maybe one top or cardi per year. Fortunately I am addicted to making bags lol They are more in my budget with 2-4 skeins needed rather than 8-10.

I really have a hard time classifying my ability so I am all over the place lol

Archived