come on in and rate your crochet experience level

I rate my crochet level at:  

320 members have voted

1. 1. I rate my crochet level at:

• beginner
    • advanced beginner
    • intermediate
    • expert

While I'm not afraid to tackle a new stitch or technique, I' don't think I've ever chosen a super technically challenging pattern....and I do like that any patterns I have used, when calling for a "specialty" stitch, that stitch was explained and illustrated so I could do it. Not to say that a pattern or two didn't seem confusing for a moment....but I ultimately figured it out. So I think I'm intermediate in my 30 years crochet experience, but most definitely an expert on the basics...lol How about you?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say I was intermediate. I have crocheted for 15 years, but I haven't tried everything that crochet has to offer.

:manyheart

I debated on that question for a bit...decided that I'm more than an intermediate since (except for making jewelry) I've made pretty much everything from doilies to wearables...I answered "expert" based on the amount of questions I get asked and who it is who does the asking:D

I didn't vote because I like to think of myself as "experienced". I guess I have a problem with the term expert..I've been crocheting for 50+ years, but I still feel that there is more to learn.

I answered intermediate. Even though I have been crocheting for over 40 years and have made just about everything from "doilies to wearables" using many different stitches and types of medium I would never call myself an expert because it seems just about every day I discover or learn something new about my chosen craft.

I didn't vote because I like to think of myself as "experienced". I guess I have a problem with the term expert..I've been crocheting for 50+ years, but I still feel that there is more to learn.

This pretty much reflects my thinking as well.

I would not call myself an expert but I have been there and done most of what needs doing in my 50+ years of crochet.

I voted myself as advanced beginner, though I do tackle some patterns that are labeled intermediate and do just fine with them. On the other hand, I can't for the life of me, make a decent pair of "easy" slippers. :blush There's so much I don't know yet, and a lot that I've never tried.

I threw caution to the wind and voted expert...just because I still might learn a new trick doesn't mean I'm not an expert...there are actually levels to "expert" and I'm probably in the beginning to medium range in that level...

Experts in anything are always still learning something new.

I voted intermediate. I don't have experience with everything there is in crochet such as tunisian. However, I've tried many patterns and difficult stitches, and have learned a lot from them. I plan to continue learning. The lovely community here at the 'ville has already been so helpful.

I voted intermediate and like many others here there are things I haven't done but I don't think of myself as advanced begineer. I too learn something new here all the time and love it, if forums like this were around when I first started many years ago I probably would be expert but I taught myself and struggled through many projects until I learned.

I would say I was intermediate. I have crocheted for 15 years, but I haven't tried everything that crochet has to offer.

:manyheart

:yes That's me. There's enough I don't know yet that I wouldn't call myself an expert, but I'm very good at the things I've mastered.

This is not an easy question to answer, as I am intermediate with some things and I think anyway, an expert with others. Then there are some things I am a beginner with.:hook

Exactly my thoughts! I think if the choice had been experienced versus expert the results would have been different.

There are so many techniques (hairpain lace [well that was an interesting typo, I think I'll leave it that way :lol], tunisian, cro-knit) that I've tried but didn't enjoy as much as other facets of crochet, so I don't do them and wouldn't consider myself an expert, but I have enough experience to do them if I 'had' to.

And, I'm learning new tips and stitches every day from this great bunch at the 'ville! :cheer

I threw caution to the wind and voted expert...just because I still might learn a new trick doesn't mean I'm not an expert...there are actually levels to "expert" and I'm probably in the beginning to medium range in that level...

Experts in anything are always still learning something new.

I agree with you on this. I did not label myself as an expert because I can think of all the things I can't do

but I can do a whole lot of stuff... :sigh

Maybe we all think of experts as those people who can do what we can't.

I think that Kathy (Katchcan) is an expert... would she meet our (rather nebulous) criteria?

I voted intermediate. I have tried things like beaded crochet, tapestry, wire crochet, filet and felting which I didn't even know existed a few years back before coming here. I have pushed the envelope and been successful, but haven't done much in the way of wearables and haven't even tried amis, lace and probably other things I can't recall. I like a challenge but have my issues with some things still. :)

Archived