Join anytime to a 6 to 24 point star rr, pattern included that Aggie May has written!

Cotton Candee

Bearcrafty1 your pastel rainbow ghan is beautiful!!!

FootballMom I love those squares! I thought I had seen enough squares after just finishing hooking for a cure, but you got me wanting to make more, lol! Those are so pretty!

I still haven't started my 6>12>24 yet. I keep looking at the pattern and my head starts spinning! I tell myself, take a deep breathe and just plunge in, lol! Hopefully by this weekend I'll get up the nerve! I can do this!!! Right? :think

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All...

I have been looking at your beautiful ghans and trying to decide if I want to join in. I did one a few years back. Didn't have a pattern, just looked at my neighbor's finished one and went from there. It actually is more like a big doily or small round table cover. I think I would like to do a 24 pt. Don't remember what mine is, should dig it out and try to send a photo. Never did that, so not sure what I am doing there!

VAtech3-1.jpg

See you all soon. Hopefully I will finish up AztecSun over the weekend and post pix next week.

I love your squares. I haven't seen this one before. Since joining the ville I have enjoyed learning to make all differnt type of squares. These are really pretty.

Just dropping in to let you know I haven't forgotten you. I am makeing a comfortghan for dear friends that lost their youngest son in a car accident the Friday before Easter. Everything has been on hold because of that. A couple of people are sending squares and I am waiting to see what I get so I know what else I need to finish. They were very kind to help, especially, since I was picky about what square and colors I needed.

Sue, your post spells out why this is such a wonderful place. It never ceases to amaze me how we all gather around to help if anyone asks. Crocheters should run the world. :lol It would be a much nicer place. Yarn for everyone! :devil

Leslie... I am so sorry to hear of this news! Please let me know if I can send a square to you... :yes As for crocheters running the world, it would be nice if instead of war just have a crochet-off and pit crocheter's work against one another's to chose who wins a war... :crocheting vs. :hook

Sue, the pics are so breathtaking and overwhelming of the RR's on this CAL.

I don't believe that I could ever create such a beauty as the participants in this forum, even though I can dream, can't I?

I was wondering about the "free" pattern which you have listed on your website...the 6-12-24 RR afghan.

I can't get the Microsoft Live webpage to open the document. Any suggestions?

I've gone and registered, but it says "access denied."

Thanks in advance!!!

Which website are you talking about? I have posted Aggie May's pattern at the beginning of this CAL along with how I made my points.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2824107070065790573FTxXdw

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2254056500065790573boPnGM

I finally finished my pastel rainbow round ripple. It measures approximately 86" across from point to point. I am planning #3 right now. not sure which one I want to do first.

Very pretty Wendy! I commend you on your patience to do a ghan that is 86" in dia! :eek It is very lovely and I just love the colors!

CottonCandie I would like to "officially" join the group. Since we are a group already together at work, I want to make it offical here. Ladies I can not say how beautiful the baby afghan is that she made for the girl at work. The only problem with working with crocheters is when a baby is due, we have to get together to make sure that we don't make the same ones. lol

Everyone... I would like you to meet Laura! She is a wonderful crocheter and knitter... We work in a Call Center of about 450 people, mostly women and have found some of us like to crochet/knit together at lunch... There is a lurker that visits here that I posted her rr but not being shy at work (and quite the opposite) she is shy about joining but loves to look and read... her name is Doris and is doing a lovely rr that has popcorn stitches about every 5th row, I think. I'll post a pick when she is done.

So welcome CraftyLady to our round ripple group

Come grab a chair and join us on the stoop...

Share with us your pictures of the lovely work you have done.

and you since we work together, I can keep my eye on you Hun!

Hi - I'm one of the ones that has joined and you haven't heard from. I'm trying to use my free time to work on my ripple. I'm getting some ruffling after adding the last sets of points (24). I've tried decreasing in the valley as well as using only 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in the peak. I have to go around it once or twice to see if that is going to do the trick. I have folded it in half, like Aggie May suggested, and it looks OK that way so I may be OK now. I should be finished in a week or two then I'll try my hand at posting a picture. :think I did it once but I'll have to see if I can do it again :lol

Can't wait to see a pic! I am sure you will have the ruffling under control with the measures you are taking but be careful you don't go too tight all at once or you will pop up the ruffled part by the contrast of the tightness all at once. You will know what I am talking about if it happens.

I have not deserted you guys! I was out of the Banana Berry yarn I needed to complete the last 3 rows of my AztecSun. After 3 trips to AC Moore, they finally got it. But I had nothing interesting to work on while I was waiting. So I started to use Aztec’s leftovers of yellow, green and turquoise to make Heart Puff Squares (sort of like popcorns). Then that snowballed as I went searching around the house for other leftover worsted weights. So it is now becoming a scrapghan. Here is what the squares look like. (I sent 6 of these to the Virginia Tech comfortghan project last year.)

VAtech3-1.jpg

A note to Sue (Cotton Candee): Your boys have done really well in the tourney! Duke Son was not here so I was actually able to watch the games without being harassed. I was very impressed with Hansbrough, both as a player and as an articulate young man. There is also a local Long Island kid on the team…Danny Green. Great shooter and sixth man. I was sorry that Davidson got knocked out of it. I was really enjoying watching Curry, and was kind of hoping to see how they would do vs Carolina.

See you all soon. Hopefully I will finish up AztecSun over the weekend and post pix next week.

ex-FM aka WM ~ I just love the squares you have done! Very pretty work you do, but then we already know that! LOL about Duke Son not there to watch the game! It get real loud over here but everyone is still happily waiting for the next game! Can't wait to see the pics of the AztecSun!

I still haven't started my 6>12>24 yet. I keep looking at the pattern and my head starts spinning! I tell myself, take a deep breathe and just plunge in, lol! Hopefully by this weekend I'll get up the nerve! I can do this!!! Right? :think

Ann, Hold your head still so it stops spinning and grab your yarn and hook and jump in! We are here for you... and we know what is tricky and what to do to correct anything you can come across! Now if you need more encouragement than from just me.. well then... OKAY Ladies... and men if there are any here... Who is willing to encourage Ann in the 6-12-24 rr? Who offers up their advise? Who is stepping up to the plate on this one??? Let's give Ann a shout out! What colors are you going to do it in???

Hi All...

I have been looking at your beautiful ghans and trying to decide if I want to join in. I did one a few years back. Didn't have a pattern, just looked at my neighbor's finished one and went from there. It actually is more like a big doily or small round table cover. I think I would like to do a 24 pt. Don't remember what mine is, should dig it out and try to send a photo. Never did that, so not sure what I am doing there!

Welcome aboard Shelby! You just joined the 6-12-24 or any RR CAL! Just triple the stitches in Annie Mays Pattern at the very beginning and you have a 24 pointer... maybe? :lol Anyways.. welcome aboard!

Here comes Shelby with hook in hand

No pattern to use but with eye she did scan

Not sure to join us but then she was drawn in

Making round ripples with us from yarn in her bin!

Sue, the pics are so breathtaking and overwhelming of the RR's on this CAL.

I don't believe that I could ever create such a beauty as the participants in this forum, even though I can dream, can't I?

I was wondering about the "free" pattern which you have listed on your website...the 6-12-24 RR afghan.

I can't get the Microsoft Live webpage to open the document. Any suggestions?

I've gone and registered, but it says "access denied."

Thanks in advance!!!

Carol,

I do not see why you would have to dream of making one of these rr? I was actually surprised how many people here haven't really made that many rrs! Here I thought that most have made like... 20 or 30 so you can imagine my surprise... :eek I really think if anyone who can make a dc and is willing to count, apraise, and work at making one, then all it takes is being able to count over and over... and over... to look at your afghan often to make sure it is behaving by laying flat... and to actually pick up the hook and just know that each dc is one closer to being done... :devil I think the hardest thing is not only picking out the colors but on how many rows of each to do since it is so vital in how it looks in the end!

Jump onboard and the worst that can happen is that you may have to frog a bit and just chalk it up to experience and what not to do next time! :yes

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the poll! I was very surprised how many haven't done that many rr! Everyone's looks so good that I figured that it was from doing so many! This CAL has been wonderful in that we have been able to not only work and encourage each other but to see just how much variety there is in making a round ripple... seeing one with 5 points, 13 points OR increasing from 6-12-24 or 8-16-32 or even the 12 -24!

Since everyone seemed to like doing the poll... I would like to do another since it interests me in everyone's answers... I was surprised not only by how many rr everyone had done but by the size of the crochet hook... I was surprised more people didn't like 8 pointer rr... I would like to ask specifics about rr and what we see that is pleasing...

When we look at our photobucket for this CAL, you will see many different colors & combos. Please look again and not only look at the whole but at the individual rows on spacing of each compared to the one next to it...

Color

Color scheme ~ What colors do you like together?

Color shades ~ What shades do you like? Bright or Muted

Colors ~ What colors would you NOT use in a RR?

Do you like to see shades of the same color from dark to light?

Color varieties ~ Do you like many colors together or just 2 or 3?

Varigated yarns

How does varigated play with the colors? As you remember that one complaint was that the varigated will at times blend in with the solid color that is next to it ruining a clear line of diffinition between the two rows... or that in one rr the varigated seemed to create a "3D" effect...

Does varigated seem to distract from the other colors or bring them together?

Does varigated need to be used sparingly or just like any of the other colors?

What do you like about using varigated yarn?

OR

Why don't you use varigated yarn?

Spacing of the colors

Do you like the blending effect of using 2 or 3 strands at the same time creating no defined "edge" from one color to the next?

Do you like each color to be thick or thin if they are evenly spaced throughout the ghan? Give an example of how many rows of dc would you find pleasing of each color.

When a certain color is going to be dominate in a rr, you will see where that color is used in more rows than any other color... for ex: a red, white, and blue rr where white is the dominate may have white between each red and blue rows so that white is used twice as much as the red or blue... How does this pattern of colors appeal to you or not appeal to you?

Another way to have a dominate color is to have one color have more rows done that any of the other colors... Why do you or don't you like this type of color use?

Your next RR

Now that you have seen many rr and an endless way of combining colors and patterns... what do you think you may choose for your next RR?

Have you found that you now want to make many more since there are so many different ways to make them?

Thank you once again for your co-oporation in humoring a fellow crocheter who does have a means to her questions... :devil

Color

Color scheme ~ What colors do you like together? ANY

Color shades ~ What shades do you like? Bright or Muted DEPENDS ON WHO THE PROJECT IS FOR

Colors ~ What colors would you NOT use in a RR? IF THEY COPLEMENT EACH OTHER, THERE ARE NONE I WOULDN'T USE

Do you like to see shades of the same color from dark to light? IN A 2 STR BLENDED RR THAT'S A GREAT LOOK

Color varieties ~ Do you like many colors together or just 2 or 3? AGAIN, DEPENDS ON WHO THE RR IS FOR

Varigated yarns

How does varigated play with the colors? As you remember that one complaint was that the varigated will at times blend in with the solid color that is next to it ruining a clear line of diffinition between the two rows... or that in one rr the varigated seemed to create a "3D" effect...

IF YOU USE A ROW OR 2 OF A NEUTRAL THAT DELINEATE THE COLORS THAT HELPS

Does varigated seem to distract from the other colors or bring them together? DEPENDS ON IF YOU PICKED THE RIGHT COLORS

Does varigated need to be used sparingly or just like any of the other colors? JUST LIKE THE OTHERS

What do you like about using varigated yarn?

OR

Why don't you use varigated yarn? i'M SLIGHTLY COLOR BLIND AND CAN HAVE PROBLEMS CHOOSING THE RIGHT SOLIDS TO MATCH

Spacing of the colors

Do you like the blending effect of using 2 or 3 strands at the same time creating no defined "edge" from one color to the next?

SEE "VAN GOGH" CAL FOR BLENDED RIPPLES WE DID:manyheart

Do you like each color to be thick or thin if they are evenly spaced throughout the ghan? Give an example of how many rows of dc would you find pleasing of each color.

BOTH - I DO AT LEAST 2 ROWS OF A COLOR, DEPENDING....

When a certain color is going to be dominate in a rr, you will see where that color is used in more rows than any other color... for ex: a red, white, and blue rr where white is the dominate may have white between each red and blue rows so that white is used twice as much as the red or blue... How does this pattern of colors appeal to you or not appeal to you? i LIKE MORE RANDOM PATTERNS, AND SOMETIMES WITH MORE COLORS I DON'T HAVE A TRULY DOMINANT ONE

Another way to have a dominate color is to have one color have more rows done that any of the other colors... Why do you or don't you like this type of color use? tOO BLAH....UNLESS IT'S A BRIGHT COLOR SCHEME!

Your next RR

Now that you have seen many rr and an endless way of combining colors and patterns... what do you think you may choose for your next RR? i'LL BE WORKING ON BABY RR...BUT I WILL SWITICH FORM TRADITIONAL COLORS TO BRIGHT ONES FOR THE NEXT - LOVE ALTERNATING

Have you found that you now want to make many more since there are so many different ways to make them? YUP:yay

Almost finished with my baby rr. This is the first one I've made with single strand of ww. It is so pretty so far! My camera isn't cooperating today so I'll try to get a picture of it later. I should have it finished this weekend. It is going very fast! I have a question for those of you who make baby rr. How big do you make it? I figure 40" is good size but I want to get other opinions. I want the baby to be able to use it as a toddler too.

Almost finished with my baby rr. This is the first one I've made with single strand of ww. It is so pretty so far! My camera isn't cooperating today so I'll try to get a picture of it later. I should have it finished this weekend. It is going very fast! I have a question for those of you who make baby rr. How big do you make it? I figure 40" is good size but I want to get other opinions. I want the baby to be able to use it as a toddler too.

I usually make them about 36"-38" or so for a newborn, so 40" should be great if you want it to be used as a toddler too IMHO. Can't wait to see the pics!:cheer

Here is my crochet rainbow baby ghan so far. Its such a beautiful pattern to do, sorry if I keep repeating myself but it is. Im just using scrap yarn and size 4mm hook. Photo is clickable.

th_P1030374.jpg

Wow, nice pattern. Is it available on the web?

Color

Color scheme ~ What colors do you like together? I look at colors and see if they go together, or I pull the colors out of a varigated. Or the person who the afghan is being made for picks the colors.

Color shades ~ What shades do you like? Bright or Muted I love shades of blue and would love to do a rr in them. Most of the time the colors are specific to the person the rr is for. I usually go more for the muted colors, but am going to go bright one of these times.

Colors ~ What colors would you NOT use in a RR? I hate working in black, but the rr I am working on now is black and white. So I guess I would say any color goes.

Do you like to see shades of the same color from dark to light? Yes, and one day I will try that.

Color varieties ~ Do you like many colors together or just 2 or 3? I usually go with 2, I have done a single color also.

Varigated yarns

Does varigated seem to distract from the other colors or bring them together? I feel it pulls all the colors together.

Does varigated need to be used sparingly or just like any of the other colors? I think it depends on the afghan, I have made one where a varigated is the main color.

What do you like about using varigated yarn? I love the different color schemes that you can pull from it. Right now the varigated yarns are beautiful.

OR

Spacing of the colors

Do you like the blending effect of using 2 or 3 strands at the same time creating no defined "edge" from one color to the next? Yes and one day I will try it, but I am not a fan of using 2 or 3 strands together. Hurts the hand.

Do you like each color to be thick or thin if they are evenly spaced throughout the ghan? Give an example of how many rows of dc would you find pleasing of each color. To me it depends on the colors I am using. My first one I used varying rows, 6, 2, 4, 2, 6, 2, 8, 2, 10, 2, and then end. The one I am doing now is a 4,2 combo.

When a certain color is going to be dominate in a rr, you will see where that color is used in more rows than any other color... for ex: a red, white, and blue rr where white is the dominate may have white between each red and blue rows so that white is used twice as much as the red or blue... How does this pattern of colors appeal to you or not appeal to you? Again I think it depends on the colors and who the afghan is for.

Another way to have a dominate color is to have one color have more rows done that any of the other colors... Why do you or don't you like this type of color use? I like this type of color use, because it looks like the afghan is growing as you go, not only are you adding stitches in that color, but rows.

Your next RR

Now that you have seen many rr and an endless way of combining colors and patterns... what do you think you may choose for your next RR? What ever colors my son picks, he gets the next one.

Have you found that you now want to make many more since there are so many different ways to make them? Yes!!!!!

Thanks and keep the polls coming.:)

Ann, Hold your head still so it stops spinning and grab your yarn and hook and jump in! We are here for you... and we know what is tricky and what to do to correct anything you can come across! Now if you need more encouragement than from just me.. well then... OKAY Ladies... and men if there are any here... Who is willing to encourage Ann in the 6-12-24 rr? Who offers up their advise? Who is stepping up to the plate on this one??? Let's give Ann a shout out! What colors are you going to do it in???

OK, so I jumped in and I already need help on rnd 3! Can you tell it's late, lol! I think this has been what is messing me up on my 9 pt popcorn rr too. What do I do here:

Row 3:

SL ST into next DC, CH3, *1 DC into next DC (3DC, CH2, 3DC) all into next CH SP, 1DC into next 2DC, SK next 2DCs, 1DC into next DC,* Repeat * to * to end of the row, where you end with 1DC into next DC. (There will be 1DC and the starting CH not worked into and this is how it should be.) Join as before.

First off, I don't see the 1DC :think and secondly, am I just supposed to skip over the starting chain? That doesn't make sense to me. No matter what I do I don't get the right number of stitches! This isn't a good sign folks!!! :eek Maybe I need to go to bed, lol! BTW, my colors are orchid, dk orchid and monet. DH helped pick them out. I was liking them a lot better in the store, but we'll see how it turns out. This ones for us! :clap

OK, so I jumped in and I already need help on rnd 3! Can you tell it's late, lol! I think this has been what is messing me up on my 9 pt popcorn rr too. What do I do here:

Row 3:

SL ST into next DC, CH3, *1 DC into next DC (3DC, CH2, 3DC) all into next CH SP, 1DC into next 2DC, SK next 2DCs, 1DC into next DC,* Repeat * to * to end of the row, where you end with 1DC into next DC. (There will be 1DC and the starting CH not worked into and this is how it should be.) Join as before.

First off, I don't see the 1DC :think and secondly, am I just supposed to skip over the starting chain? That doesn't make sense to me. No matter what I do I don't get the right number of stitches! This isn't a good sign folks!!! :eek Maybe I need to go to bed, lol! BTW, my colors are orchid, dk orchid and monet. DH helped pick them out. I was liking them a lot better in the store, but we'll see how it turns out. This ones for us! :clap

Ann... You are sl stitching over because you are in the middle of the valley and you don't want to put any stitches there! What you have is 1 dc worked in dc, a 3dc-2ch-3dc shell in the 2ch sp, then 1 dc worked in next dc and the skip 2 dc for the valley. The starting ch and dc you are not working are from the prev row and in the bottom of the valley. :hook

I really like your colors! DH did good!:yay

Ann... You are sl stitching over because you are in the middle of the valley and you don't want to put any stitches there! What you have is 1 dc worked in dc, a 3dc-2ch-3dc shell in the 2ch sp, then 1 dc worked in next dc and the skip 2 dc for the valley. The starting ch and dc you are not working are from the prev row and in the bottom of the valley. :hook

I really like your colors! DH did good!:yay

Thank you, Sue! I'm going to give it a try once I get enough coffee in me to wake up this morning, lol! Hopefully it will make more sense today, lol! :hug

Here is my crochet rainbow baby ghan so far. Its such a beautiful pattern to do, sorry if I keep repeating myself but it is. Im just using scrap yarn and size 4mm hook. Photo is clickable.

th_P1030374.jpg

Beautiful, Wendy!:clap

th_P1030374.jpg

Wendy, I didn't know you were doing this one! It is just beautiful! GREAT work!

Color

Color scheme ~ What colors do you like together? Blues, purples, teals

Color shades ~ What shades do you like? Bright or Muted? Both

Colors ~ What colors would you NOT use in a RR? Actually none, would give away or sell what I didn't really like.

Do you like to see shades of the same color from dark to light? Yes

Color varieties ~ Do you like many colors together or just 2 or 3? 2 or 3, but varigateds are nice to see.

Varigated yarns

Personal preferance, I like to see Black or a dark color next to a varigated.

Does varigated seem to distract from the other colors or bring them together? Really depends on the combination and how they are being used.

Does varigated need to be used sparingly or just like any of the other colors? Sparingly

What do you like about using varigated yarn? It can blend in colors that seem to not be "going together", especially if the varigated is chosen first and other colors are "pulled" from it. Also, when using a varigated I don't see the need to use as many other colors.

OR

Spacing of the colors

Do you like the blending effect of using 2 or 3 strands at the same time creating no defined "edge" from one color to the next? Sometimes.

Do you like each color to be thick or thin if they are evenly spaced throughout the ghan? Give an example of how many rows of dc would you find pleasing of each color. Again, it depends on the color scheme. I like to see 3 rows of dc, IF the other rows are thinner.

When a certain color is going to be dominate in a rr, you will see where that color is used in more rows than any other color... for ex: a red, white, and blue rr where white is the dominate may have white between each red and blue rows so that white is used twice as much as the red or blue... How does this pattern of colors appeal to you or not appeal to you? I would rather not have my dominate color between each color.

Another way to have a dominate color is to have one color have more rows done that any of the other colors... Why do you or don't you like this type of color use? I like this look better. No particular reason except that I like things more symetrical.

Your next RR

Now that you have seen many rr and an endless way of combining colors and patterns... what do you think you may choose for your next RR? SCRAPS with black dominating.

Have you found that you now want to make many more since there are so many different ways to make them? YOU BET :)

I hope to post a pic of the one that I have already made, if I can figure out how to do it !

Archived