Join anytime to a 6 to 24 point star rr, pattern included that Aggie May has written!

Cotton Candee

1. Favorite number of points in a rr 12
  2. Why is that number of points your favorite? It's nice and full with not too many gaps
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? Nothing:)
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? DC
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? 4 ply
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? J or K...if a 2 strand, an N
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? Nearly 70 inches for an adult
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I follow the pattern for stitch count only - at least so far
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? Fav colors of the person Im giving it to or baby themed colors for a 36 incher
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... I have trouble discerning subtle shades of green and gray
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? Only at the beginning
  12. How many rr have you made? At least 4
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? The fact that it's unique and the way you can use stash and if you run out it really doesn't matter unless you're following an exact pattern - and you don't have to pay attention to the stitch count once you get going.
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? How easy they were to make - even the blended, 2 strand ones.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Wendy - my baby RR is sitting here begging for attention. I hope to do more on it this week (Stewie is coming along, though much smaller than I hoped. Good thing it's about half finished, though - my hand hurts from the H hook and tight tension:P)

Just dropping in to let you know I haven't forgotten you. I am makeing a comfortghan for dear friends that lost their youngest son in a car accident the Friday before Easter. Everything has been on hold because of that. A couple of people are sending squares and I am waiting to see what I get so I know what else I need to finish. They were very kind to help, especially, since I was picky about what square and colors I needed.

Sue, your post spells out why this is such a wonderful place. It never ceases to amaze me how we all gather around to help if anyone asks. Crocheters should run the world. :lol It would be a much nicer place. Yarn for everyone! :devil

1. Favorite number of points in a rr One made this one 6-12-24
  2. Why is that number of points your favorite? can't say ... never tried any other RR
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? takes too long to finish once at the ending rows
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? I used SC and that went quickly
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? WW seems like a good choice
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? G/I
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? Big enough to cover me. This one I just made measures close to 80" across
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? To some extent...use my own colors and may vary design
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? Get a concept of what they're using and develop my own color scheme
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no/never
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? constantly
  12. How many rr have you made? 1
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? The finished product...the ability to alter a pattern design and make your own unique and personal RR
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? Since I've only made the one, people have commented on the size and my patience in completing something of that size.

2. Why is that number of points your favorite? I like how it looks
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? It takes a long time to get all the way around it, once it is bigger.
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? DC
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? It doesn't matter to me
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? G for a baby, I or J for a regular one
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? As big as the spirit moves me.
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I follow a pattern,, but the colors are what I want
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? I chose the colors for the person who I am making the afghan for.
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... No
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? Every other row
  12. How many rr have you made? 5
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? They go so fast.
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? I have no clue. :)

Aww, thanks :blush. But my patience was no where near Jeanie's. She has more points than mine does :lol And if one looks closely, that last set changed row numbers. I finished the 3 rows of cream, got 3 of the light green done, figured it was big enough and there would only be 3 rows of each color at the end. So my patience did run out a bit at the end.

LOL, good catch there. I did want to bring out the honey color more which the variegated yarn tended to wash out in the beginning. So I decreased the number of rows to one and added the decreased # to the other ;). I actually did the same at a previous grouping too.

1. Favorite number of points in a rr as many as possible
  2. Why is that number of points your favorite? you never run out of options
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? when the stitch count gets so big in the valleys
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? double
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? Caron Simply Soft
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? G
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? as big as it takes to look done
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I'll follow the pattern, and maybe the color placement, but usually the color choices are mine.
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? When using a basic pattern, I just go to the store or my stash, and just see what calls out to me.
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no and no
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? On the first one I made, every row. On the second, hardly ever.
  12. How many rr have you made? I've finished two and am working on a third.
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? How the different color combinations and placement can make them look so different.
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? That I finished them so quickly. I have a problem. I see a pattern or a finished object and I fall in love. Then I MUST start it right then. I have so many things going on at once (knit and crochet and cross-stitch), it's amazing I ever finish anything.

:devil

LOL, good catch there. I did want to bring out the honey color more which the variegated yarn tended to wash out in the beginning. So I decreased the number of rows to one and added the decreased # to the other ;). I actually did the same at a previous grouping too.

I was referring to mine :lol Did you change your row numbers too?

1. Favorite number of points in a rr -12 point
  2. Why is that number of points your favorite? -I like the way it looks
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? -How long it takes to do a rnd as it gets bigger
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? -DC
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? -Caron Simply Soft
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? - H
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? -baby is my favorite!
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? -I follow the pattern/use my own colors
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? -I use what I think the intended recipient would like
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... -I am partially color blind: shades of blues and greens, lol!
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? -constantly
  12. How many rr have you made? -4
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? -They can be so easy to make, yet look so beautiful with all the color combination that can be made with them.
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? -Probably that I actually made them, lol!

2. Why is that number of points your favorite? much easier than doing the 6 to 24
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? nothing
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? double
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? red heart
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? I
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? until I like the look
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I follow the pattern use my own colors
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? what's in my stash
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... No
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? every now and then
  12. How many rr have you made? 4
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? I just love how quick it works up and how it looks different with different colors
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? How fast and easy I can do them

1. Favorite number of points in a rr

8 or 12 seems to be a good number of points, but it depends on how large I plan to make the afghan.

1. Why is that number of points your favorite?

It “seems” to go faster with fewer points; whether it really does or not coesnt matter. <smiles>

1. What do you dislike about making a rr?

I have a hard time remembering to count, and counting makes me feel anal.

1. Favorite stitch to use on a rr?

Mmmm I use usually a double crochet.

1. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr?

4-ply seems to flow quickly

1. Favorite hook size for rr?

I use H mostly

1. How big do you like to make a rr?

My most recent RR was about 74 inches in diameter, but I think that 40 inches is also a nice size

1. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern?

I usually try to follow the patterns exactly, because I usually have difficulty making alterations as I go when things don’t work out the way I expect.

As for color changes – I often change colors, to suit my needs, though if I dee colors in certain pattern that I like, I go for it.

1. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern?

I choose colors by the need of the person for whom the blanket it intended, and then by what is available in the stores.

1. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... nope
  2. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr?

EVERY row – and I hate it

1. How many rr have you made?

I’ve made one 6-12-24 RR and 2-3 smaller RR

1. What in some detail do you like about making rr?

I like watching a RR grow and take shape.

1. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past?

That is easy – the fact that I have done them at all!!!!

Let's take a break from talking and showing our rr and share why we like making them! :hook

Questionaire on round ripples or any ripple for that matter... Just copy and paste the questions on a new post along with your answers. :compute

1. Favorite number of points in a rr as far as stitching, 12 but looking at the finished product I think 24 or 32

2. Why is that number of points your favorite? 12 points seems to flow easier when stitching, 24 or 32 points to look at just because it makes such beautiful eye candy

3. What do you dislike about making a rr? finishing those outer rows on rrs that are more than 60 inches in diameter

4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? dc

5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? I like ww

6. Favorite hook size for rr? depending on the yarn an h-j on ww, g or h on baby yarn

7. How big do you like to make a rr? at least 60 inches for adult, around 30-35 for baby

8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? The pattern I follow for the most part, I decide completly myself on the colors

9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? Depends on who the rr is for, I try to pick something I think that person would like, or something to match colors in a room

10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no

11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? often, otherwise I would worry about making mistakes (past experience)

12. How many rr have you made? Depending on whether you count a starghan (5 points) as a rr or not 14 or 15

13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? I love how easily it comes together, how quickly you see lots of progress, and how just by changing colors or the number of rows for each color you completely change the look of the ghan

14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? well I don't know if anyone here would be suprised, but my first rr had 13 points instead of 12 and to me looks like a saw blade. That is the reason I count now and also, spread out my wip and look at it from time to time. :blush

Thank you for taking the time to share your insight! You will now be directed back to your regularly scheduled programing! :wink

:duckyIt's another rr in the planning stages. After I finish the dog sweater I'm making; I'll be making another one of Aggie's RRs. My nephew's gf is having a baby girl and I thought I'd make her one and use up some of the pink odds and ends in my stash.

Sue, the pics are so breathtaking and overwhelming of the RR's on this CAL.

I don't believe that I could ever create such a beauty as the participants in this forum, even though I can dream, can't I?

I was wondering about the "free" pattern which you have listed on your website...the 6-12-24 RR afghan.

I can't get the Microsoft Live webpage to open the document. Any suggestions?

I've gone and registered, but it says "access denied."

Thanks in advance!!!

Favorite number of points in a rr? 8 or 16 (so far)

Why is that number of points your favorite? It's what's been the flatest and best visually for me.

What do you dislike about making a rr? Frogging, often, to get it to work right.

Favorite stitch to use on a rr? Double Crochet

Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? Caron's Perfect Match

Favorite hook size for rr? H

How big do you like to make a rr? aiming for 65 - 70 inches for this one

Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? Nope

How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? Giftee's preferences

Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... No

How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? Every once in a while to make sure things are going smoothly.

How many rr have you made? working on first one

What in some detail do you like about making rr? They are different. I like that it's round. The math and the patience to make it work is fun and yet it flows, easy to put down and pick up.

What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? Don't know still on first one.

Favorite number of points in a rr

Why is that number of points your favorite?

What do you dislike about making a rr?

Favorite stitch to use on a rr?

Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr?

Favorite hook size for rr?

How big do you like to make a rr?

Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern?

How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern?

Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind...

How often do you count your stitches when making your rr?

How many rr have you made?

What in some detail do you like about making rr?

What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2824107070065790573FTxXdw

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2254056500065790573boPnGM

I finally finished my pastel rainbow round ripple. It measures approximately 86" across from point to point. I am planning #3 right now. not sure which one I want to do first.

Favorite number of points in a rr 12

Why is that number of points your favorite? That was what a lady at work was working on the "dared" me that I couldn't do one like her's. lol

What do you dislike about making a rr? The last few rows

Favorite stitch to use on a rr? Double crochet

Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? I like the red heart, but I am in the starting stages of one with baby sport yarn.......

How big do you like to make a rr? Till I get tired of going around & it is big enough.

Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? For the first time I follow pattern, but use my colors

How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? What pleases me, or for whom the gift is for.

Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no(well maybe first thing in the mornings sometimes)

How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? Every other row

How many rr have you made? one complete & in the makings of the 2nd one

What in some detail do you like about making rr? You can carry it along with out any patterns or books to follow row by row.

What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? What took me so long to do them?

CottonCandie I would like to "officially" join the group. Since we are a group already together at work, I want to make it offical here. Ladies I can not say how beautiful the baby afghan is that she made for the girl at work. The only problem with working with crocheters is when a baby is due, we have to get together to make sure that we don't make the same ones. lol

Favorite number of points in a rr 12 cause thats all I have tried so far

Why is that number of points your favorite? only one I have tried

What do you dislike about making a rr? all the counting

Favorite stitch to use on a rr? dc

Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? ww

How big do you like to make a rr? larger than 80"

Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I follow the directions somewhat but decide on colors and when to change them as I go

How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? I choose by the intended recipient or they choose the colors

Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no

How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? frequently

How many rr have you made? 2

What in some detail do you like about making rr? the fabulous color variations and the fact that they work up so quickly

What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? I don't know. I guess that they are so large!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2824107070065790573FTxXdw

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2254056500065790573boPnGM

I finally finished my pastel rainbow round ripple. It measures approximately 86" across from point to point. I am planning #3 right now. not sure which one I want to do first.

Wendy, that is absolutely beautiful:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Thank you Judy and Pat! I know my niece Marena will love it. Her sister Montana is gonna get a bright rainbow afghan. I think I will change the # of rows in each color sequence to change it up a bit. Or maybe I'll do one color sequence. Oh I don't know I guess I will just start and let the yarn tell me what to do!! LOL Yes, the yarn does talk to me and I really am not crazy I am just sleep deprived!! LOL

thanks again ladies!

Hi - I'm one of the ones that has joined and you haven't heard from. I'm trying to use my free time to work on my ripple. I'm getting some ruffling after adding the last sets of points (24). I've tried decreasing in the valley as well as using only 1 dc, ch 2, 1 dc in the peak. I have to go around it once or twice to see if that is going to do the trick. I have folded it in half, like Aggie May suggested, and it looks OK that way so I may be OK now. I should be finished in a week or two then I'll try my hand at posting a picture. :think I did it once but I'll have to see if I can do it again :lol

I have not deserted you guys! I was out of the Banana Berry yarn I needed to complete the last 3 rows of my AztecSun. After 3 trips to AC Moore, they finally got it. But I had nothing interesting to work on while I was waiting. So I started to use Aztec’s leftovers of yellow, green and turquoise to make Heart Puff Squares (sort of like popcorns). Then that snowballed as I went searching around the house for other leftover worsted weights. So it is now becoming a scrapghan. Here is what the squares look like. (I sent 6 of these to the Virginia Tech comfortghan project last year.)

VAtech3-1.jpg

And now, on to the questionnaire!

1. Favorite number of points in a rr 12.
  2. Why is that number of points your favorite? I guess because I am so used to it after frogging at the beginning, that I can now follow the pattern without really needing the pattern, after the first 6 or 7rows.
  3. What do you dislike about making a rr? Not a darn thing!
  4. Favorite stitch to use on a rr? dc
  5. Easiest yarn for you to use to make a rr? Worsted weight, especially RHSS and Caron One Pounder
  6. Favorite hook size for rr? H
  7. How big do you like to make a rr? Depends on who it is for...baby, child or adult. My largest so far was over 90 inches
  8. Do you follow the pattern and use the colors and design on the pattern? I follow the pattern, but make my own color schemes up
  9. How do you chose your colors for your rr if you don't go by the pattern? Again, it depends on who it is for…baby colors, college colors, living room or bedroom colors
  10. Are you color blind or run across anyone who crochets color blind... no
  11. How often do you count your stitches when making your rr? Frequently, especially if I worked on it when I was tired
  12. How many rr have you made? Aztec is number 8; 2 baby, 1 child spiderghan, and 5 adult
  13. What in some detail do you like about making rr? It is so easy to do, yet can look so complicated, just by changing the colors. Each and every one is different!
  14. What would most people be surprised about the ripples you have made in the past? That they were easy and pretty fast to do. Crocheting them keeps me out of trouble and is cheaper than therapy.

A note to Sue (Cotton Candee): Your boys have done really well in the tourney! Duke Son was not here so I was actually able to watch the games without being harassed. I was very impressed with Hansbrough, both as a player and as an articulate young man. There is also a local Long Island kid on the team…Danny Green. Great shooter and sixth man. I was sorry that Davidson got knocked out of it. I was really enjoying watching Curry, and was kind of hoping to see how they would do vs Carolina.

See you all soon. Hopefully I will finish up AztecSun over the weekend and post pix next week.

Archived