2008 Stashbusting CAL Game (winners posted #1835)

laughlovehook

What timezone are you in?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. What timezone are you in?

• Outside of the US
    • Eastern GMT -5
    • Central GMT -6
    • Mountain GMT -7
    • Pacific GMT -8
    • Alaska or Hawaii GMT -9 GMT -10

Anyone know how much yarn is in a Lionbrand Thick and Quick chinele skein? I had a 4oz ball (from a frogged project) I turned into a scarf last night, but since I can't find the original label, I have no idea if it was a +2 skein or only a +1 ball... hmm... it looks like the current regular chinele (can't spell) skeins are 4 oz....

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still plugging along. Havent used anything completely up but havent bought anything either!!! My projects are slow going right now.

Still here. Just have not used up a whole skein or ball of yarn yet. And still waiting to get a box full of yarn that was ordered last week. Going to the dr. on Thursday for my hand. Hopefully he will give the A ~ O.K. to start crocheting again. (I won't tell him that I picked up the hook and yarn both Sunday and Monday night for about 15 minutes. Just could not stand all that yarn staring at me anymore.)

Used up another skein last night! Will finish up that project tonight and the move back to the WIP that is staring me in the face. Luckily that is a project using a very large hook so the skeins tend to disappear pretty quickly.

WTD: +4

Sara

Anyone know how much yarn is in a Lionbrand Thick and Quick chinele skein? I had a 4oz ball (from a frogged project) I turned into a scarf last night, but since I can't find the original label, I have no idea if it was a +2 skein or only a +1 ball... hmm... it looks like the current regular chinele (can't spell) skeins are 4 oz....

I don't know how many oz in a skein and I couldn't find the info online (gives yardage only). But, I am currently working this yarn on a project and I have several full skeins laying around. I can weigh one tonight when I get home if you want...

Sara

well one more bearghan DONE! :cheer

:crochetingI have 3 more baby 'items' to make.

I made a skein of RH Water Lily into a smallish ball +1 (+5 this week #2)

Stay well all

I don't know how many oz in a skein and I couldn't find the info online (gives yardage only). But, I am currently working this yarn on a project and I have several full skeins laying around. I can weigh one tonight when I get home if you want...

Sara

Thanks. I'm pretty sure it was a full skein, as I'd only used a few yards out of it on the brim of a hat I made last year now that I think about it. If you could get me the weight though, I'd appreciate it, I've got a few others floating around and want to see if they qualify as skeins or just balls.

just a little warning in case...

My computer just about did not start this morning and if it goes kaploowey I cannot fix it. If you don't hear from me for any length of time, just assume my computer died.

I removed what might be the offending file but I don't know what that would do either... :sigh

I'm still crocheting but no end (of skeins) is in sight yet :wlol

Hooray, my Boucle from Joann's just arrived, -4, but I did finish putting together the one comfort shawl this AM (wasn't much comfort to me, never had that much problems with a shawl before :lol), using 1 skein white and 1 ball +3. I will now be finishing my Boucle afghan but since the skeins are 11oz. I don't see me finishing them tonight. I am double stranding the ghan. So minus 1 for me today.

Quick question, do we post pics here when we finish something on our list? and if so is it Fridays like the other Cals?

On the "CAL for 2008" thread, I just posted pictures (or links to show-and-tell threads) as I got the items done and the pictures taken. I don't think we have agreed on anything, but Friday's seem like a reasonable day to post things. I don't think it needs to be a requirement as we are in this for the long haul. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sara

ETA: This is what I get for reading two treads at once....I thought this was asked on the "Getting it Done CAL". Whoops! Anyway, I think posting pictures on Fridays is a good idea....

Eek! Darski! I hope that computer of yours just hangs in there... *sending healthy computer thoughts*

Just a thought, but have you tried a program like Spybot (free) that finds all kinds of spyware/malware/junk and cleans it up? I try and remember to do it at least quarterly, if not monthly on my systems. It's amazing what it'll find some days.

On the "CAL for 2008" thread, I just posted pictures (or links to show-and-tell threads) as I got the items done and the pictures taken. I don't think we have agreed on anything, but Friday's seem like a reasonable day to post things. I don't think it needs to be a requirement as we are in this for the long haul. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Sara

Uh-oh, I have learned so much about posting and pics since joining the ville, but never learned how to post links to a specific thread. Where is that one?

I just went stash diving and found a skein of Lion Brand Chenille 'Thick & Quick'. I have looked everywhere on the label and I don't see a weight. All I see is the yardage and that is 100 yards. I'll go stash diving again and see if any of the other skeins have a weight on it.

Uh-oh, I have learned so much about posting and pics since joining the ville, but never learned how to post links to a specific thread. Where is that one?

All I do is go the the thread page, copy the web address from the bar at the top of the page, then enter it just like any other link by hitting the little globe symbol with the chains in front of it (under the smiley icon at the top of the advanced reply page). Works like a charm!

Sara

Addey, I just did a google search for the weight of a skein and every site I went to said this: Because of the nature of this yarn, we only give the length, not the weight of the product, as the number of ounces can vary due to the textures of the skein.

Solids are 100 yards and prints are 75 yards.

Hope that helps :D

OK, back to what I was going to post until I saw Addey's question.....I went to Hobby Lobby today to get a new hook. And I was such a good girl...I only bought 1 skein of yarn :eek:faint

I was so tempted to buy more because they had some RHSS and some Caron SS on clearance, but I was a good girl and backed slowly away from the yarn and promptly went to the check out lanes.

So that puts me at +2 for the week. And now that I have the skein of yarn I bought today, I can get back to my 2 strander and finish up a skein :hook

OK, back to what I was going to post until I saw Addey's question.....I went to Hobby Lobby today to get a new hook. And I was such a good girl...I only bought 1 skein of yarn :eek:faint

I was so tempted to buy more because they had some RHSS and some Caron SS on clearance, but I was a good girl and backed slowly away from the yarn and promptly went to the check out lanes.

So that puts me at +2 for the week. And now that I have the skein of yarn I bought today, I can get back to my 2 strander and finish up a skein :hook

They have Caron SS on clearance at HL? Drat! I may have to stop and pick some up for the WUA CAL that I am doing....is it a bad thing when your CAL's are directly in contradiction with each other? :P

Sara

Eek! Darski! I hope that computer of yours just hangs in there... *sending healthy computer thoughts*

Just a thought, but have you tried a program like Spybot (free) that finds all kinds of spyware/malware/junk and cleans it up? I try and remember to do it at least quarterly, if not monthly on my systems. It's amazing what it'll find some days.

yes I use that all the time - i try for once a week. it was a system restore point from Spybot that I used this morning when I got the computer up and running again.

It may all be fine but it is scary when you see that blue screen come up :scared

yes I use that all the time - i try for once a week. it was a system restore point from Spybot that I used this morning when I got the computer up and running again.

It may all be fine but it is scary when you see that blue screen come up :scared

I have always heard of the dreaded blue screen referred to as "the blue screen of death" for good reason....hope you get everything figured out! We would miss you too much!

Sara

I donated 12 balls/partials and 2 skeins church ladies doing prayer shawls (+16!). I have crocheters block!! I can't think of what to make now. Ideas?

Ellie 13

When I don't know what I want to make, I always end up doing some dish cloths. Or, my most recent favorite quick project is a Spiral Scrubbie. Or you could start doing squares/rectangles with stash yarn for some of the charities. Warm Up America! actually accepts rectangles made of any kind of yarn, even though the CAL/contest going on now is for rectangles using only Caron Simply Soft. Or pick a pattern and start making squares for a "crazy" afghan. I love that the possibilities are endless!

Good luck!

Sara

Hmm.... I have no idea how many yards I used... But, since I know I only used a little bit out of it before, I'll just call it a full skein and give it a +2, raising my score to a whopping -8! I may make it to -7 this evening... if I decide to add more fringe to the scarf, I think it needs it.

-4 :( I needed more pink for a baby blanket and khaki for booties. (Un)fortunately, Wal-Mart didn't have the rest of the yarn I needed.

I realized that my negative points equal approximately the amount of money I spend (not quite, but close). That may help me not buy! :P

Archived