Groove-Along

JulieKay

Good morning Wendy. Yes, I hope to have fun and hopefully not freeze. We have had some rain up here as well and in general, although we have had a few very hot, hot days, it has been bearable.

I dug my babette out and had forgotten how much I had achieved. The colours are vey bright so I may tone it down a tad. I did not plan the colours as I grab whatever I have at home.

My New Year's resolution is to complete some of the UFOs I have .... I will try my best!:)

Today I want to complete my shawl and then I want to tidy away all my yarn that is decorating the lounge.

Ines I want to finish some UFOs as well, its starting new ones before I have finished that is the problem.:lol Hope you can finish your shawl, is it a xmas present. Whereabouts in Europe are you going.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wendy, I can relate to that syndrome ... there's nothing as exciting as starting a new project. Like this shawl... I visualised the pattern I wanted and then I played around with colours and then I said to myself...this won't take me a jiffy to make. No problems!

Then, of course, I hooked merrily along until half way and hit the slump. Now I am hooking (but not merrily) and although I am not worried if I get it finished, I really would like to finish it. :D

We, my daughter who is 16, my sister and a friend, are going to the UK for a week (my other daughter is in Bristol) and then we are spending 3 days in Paris, catching the train to Switzerland, then to Italy and staying in Venice, spending a few days in Slovenia(because I saw it featured in Getaway and we decided it was a place to go) then back to Italy and going down to see friends in Bologna and finally Florence and Rome. I really tried to fit France in as I love the south of France but could only manage Paris. I have never been to Paris as I have always avoided it. I also really really wanted to go to Prague but we do not have the time so it will be on the itinerary for the next time.

I was in Bologna in September with the school group and I did say I would catch up with friends there. My relative live just out of Venice so I will spend a night with them as I did not see them in September.

I have booked all the accommodation and travel through the internet so I hope it will all be OK. I think we are ready to go. :think

What colours are you planning to make your Babette? I have just seen your granny ripple and love it! How old are your girls? Mine are 16 and 25.

The Babbettes- I love it! Big hair may not go with my rasta legs though...

To chart mine out I just used my 1/4 inch paper and called each square the same as a 2 row block. it worked out well for the 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 row blocks from the original design.

Then I did something kinda weird yesterday. Since I'm doing a miniature version of this, I printed out a bunch of dot graph paper that were the same gauge as the squares and taped it to a piece of foam core art board. That way I can pin the squares to the board as I go to keep the colors going the way I want them, and I can always shuffle them around before I commit and sew them together. It should also make keeping track of what I'm doing while joining a bit easier too. I don't see how that could work on a full size 'ghan since it is a little unweildy even with my little squares. (Hey, anyone wanna try this in TINY squares using thread???)

Ines wow your seeing a lot of Europe in just a month. How exciting for you. Im sure your daughter is excited as well. My daughters are 10 and 13. As for my colors for the babette, I have picked 7 and they are purple,green,bright yellow, red, white, dk pink and light pink. Im thinking of ditching the pinks in favor of bright orange and light blue now, what do you think. I have my color chart all worked out so Im ready to start.

Julie your idea of pinning the squares to an art board sounds very interesting and you can keep track of the colors then too. Its amazing how many people are going to be doing the babette isnt it.

(Hey, anyone wanna try this in TINY squares using thread???)

Somebody say thread:hook??

...just kidding. Need to finish a vert pretty thread test pattern first...and get new glasses if I plan on doing any more projects with #10!!

thankfully i tought my sister to crochet so as I am taking a break to rest my aching hands she is doing some rows for me. I will pm you now. I am gonna grab my colors and look at them tonight when I got up to bed and work out a color chart before I fall asleep. I still have tomorrow and monday to finish this gahn. I am so anxious to to start my babett.

I got it and your idea for the 2 rows was the same as mine. But I guess with 2 rows there are so many options. I am lost on my 4 rows though I just can't figure out what to put with what. This might be easier if I wasn't out of my mind on pain meds lol. But I have no vision. I am definatly going to start on some of my squares tonight when I go to bed to help me fall asleep.

Just a question for everyone doing the babette how many colors are you all using? I am trying to limit it to 7 I think but I am having trouble picking I might expand it to 8 but I am still not sure yet I have to look at all the colors I just pulled out and see how they all look together during the day. Thank god I will be getting xmas money cause I will be using some scrap but I know there are a few colors that I don't have full skeins of unless I subsitute (another thing that I need day light to decide.)

Mel I emailed you as to how I got my 4row color chart. Im using 7 colors too but Im undecided with the pinks. Im thinking I might change my pink and dk pink to blue and orange. That will mean changing the names in my color chart but thats no biggie.

I for now added the aqua to my chart if I have to I can always remove it if i don't like it but I would rather have it there now if I do like it than hav eto rework everything. But I am gonna go get some rest it is 3 am here.

PS I got another 12 rows done on my xmas pressie. I have 18 more to go which between my sister and I will get done tomorrow and then I can start my suqares!!!!!! I am gonna start with the 2 row and get all of them done I'll just go up in order I guess. Unless I get truley bored with one type.

Wendy, I emailed you my color chart I got all of it done but if you see anything that might make it better feel free to let me know =o)

Hi, Wendy and Mel!

Making the Babette with 7 or 8 colors sound about right...I might even use less...depends on what colors I fall in love with:) I also want to use the yarn that I have, so...:blush

Morning to all you Babettes !

It sounds like you are all coming up with a good plan on how to place the squares, color charts, etc. I will be so proud of you guys to see these coming together .

We have quite a nice -sized group working on this one . I think I'm gonna put a call out for anyone else doing the peace-sign ghan so we can have our girl band name too. Not sure what to call us yet, I'd have to think of a name .

Ines- you vacation sounds like a dream come true ! Wow, such a lot of really neat places to visit . Will you be taking lots of photos, and could you share some with us when you return ? It'd almost be like we got to go too, if we could see photos of all the stops you made .

Wendy- the chances of ME making the Babette in thread are about as good as ME getting elected to be the next President AND the next Miss America all in one year.

It AINT happening . :no:no:no

Hey gang-

I thought it might be fun to have a friendly little competition in here .( not that we are actually COMPETING... )

but, since we have a large group doing the Babette and they are now the girl band called the Babettes , I'd like some fellow participants to make the peace-ghan with me, then we can pick a cool name for OUR group .

I have mine all mapped out and have the first 3 rows done . I have no clue how it'll look in the end- I was trying to go with kind-of a tie-dyed background, so not sure how it'll come together .

Anyhow, would all peace-ghan makers please sign in so we can form a name for our group ???

Morning Kim,

Well, good question !

I 'd like to draft you into our peace sign group, only because our band needs more members ! I guess we'll just have to SING louder, huh ? :D

I think there are several of you making items other than the actual Babette or peace-sign. A lot are making hats or bags or other afghans or pillows ... so that group could all come together as our third group .

If you guys all put your heads together, try to think of a name for your group too, then we'll have 3 ~ :lol

"All I am saying is give peace a chance" (I am starting a song for the band,even if I am in the babbettes...) We can all have a"sit in"(remember those??)-bring your crochet hook...

in the middle of a snowstorm in the Northwoods of Wisc. peace and love,Leslie

Archived