Ribbon Hat Pattern

Frangipani

Ribbon Hat

By, Bec M.

:hook

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

Materials:

“I†Hook ~ use bigger hook for larger fit.

Yarn needle

3 oz. 4 ply, worsted weight yarn (main color)

.5 oz 4 ply, worsted weight yarn (secondary color)

24 inch length ribbon (x2)

Stitches:

Ch = chain

Sl st = slip stitch

Sc = single crochet

Dc = double crochet

Dec = decrease : After finishing a dc, yarn over, pull through next st, pull through next st, (there should be 4 loops on hook) yarn over. pull through 2, yarn over, pull through 3 remaining loops, continue with dc's.

Gauge: 10 dc = 3.5 inches

NOTES: * Repeat the instructions between the asterisks*. My reason for decreasing on 2 of the rows was to make the hat more fitted. You may wish to decrease on one row or not at all. If so, you may wish to complete row 4, then dc around until hat reaches desired length.

Row 1: Ch 2 (this Ch 2 is NOT counted as the 1st stitch throughout entire pattern), 12 dc in 2nd ch from hook. Sl st in top ch 2 that began row.

Row 2: Ch 2, 2 dc in same st, *2 dc in next 11 sts* around (24 sts total). Sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 3: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 2 dc in next st *1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st* around (36 sts total), sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 4: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st *1 dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st* around (48 sts total), sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 5: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc in next 2 sts, 2 dc in next st *1 dc in next 3 sts, 2 dc in next st* around (60 sts total), sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 6: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st *1 dc in next st* around(60 sts total) sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 7: Repeat row 6

Row 8: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc in next 4 sts, decrease next 2 sts into 1dc, *1 dc in next 5 sts, decrease next two sts into 1 dc* around [this row ends with a dc, not a decrease], sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 9: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, *1 dc in next st* around (52 sts total) sl st in top ch 2 that began this row.

Row 10: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, 1 dc in next 3 sts, decrease next 2 sts into 1 dc, *1 dc in next 4 sts, decrease next 2 sts into 1 dc* around [this row ends with a dc, not a decrease], sl st [change your color at the end of this row]

Row 11: Ch 2, 1 dc in same st, *1 dc in next st* around (44 sts total), sl st

Row 12: Repeat row 11 [change back to the original color at the end of this row]

Row 13: Ch 1, sc in same st, *sc in next st* around

Shell Edging:

Row 14: Sc in 1st sc of previous row, 5dc in next st, skip 2 sts, sc in next st (sc in next st, 5 dc in next st, skip 2 sts, sc in next st) around [finish with a sc and fasten off] Weave in all ends.

Ribbon: (24 inch length x2)

Begin where you would like the bow of the ribbon to sit on the hat. Use your yarn needle to weave the ribbon through the two rows of dc’s (11 & 13) of the hat in a zig zag pattern. Continue until you come to where you began. Begin where your first ribbon did and thread the second piece of ribbon in the opposite zig zag pattern to create the X’s. All four ends of the ribbon should meet up in the same place. Tie them

in a bow. Alternatively, you can tie the ribbon, weave in the ends, and attach a rosette.

For questions or comments, email to:

:yay Yeah! Your *first* pattern finished and up for sharing! Great job little sister. How handy to have a bust to model your hats on, too! Here's a pic of the one I made when I tested it.

rlmribbonhat.jpg

Love,

:book Raquel

Thanks for the compliments on my first pattern! :fame I'm so excited! I can't wait to do another one. Maybe it will come easier to me this time.

Thanks for the compliments on my first pattern! :fame I'm so excited! I can't wait to do another one. Maybe it will come easier to me this time.

You should do others. This one was a very well written pattern.

I enjoyed making it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep coming back to this. There are so many cute hat patterns and I don't like the way I look in them but I am just going to make this one anyway...you never know!!! Thanks for sharing, I love it!

• 10 months later...

Wow that is a cute hat.. I like the touch of the ribbon. Even a Ribbon flower instead of the bow would be a cute touch ... Thank you for sharing the pictures and the pattern with us. Not a hat lady here but that is really cute.

:cheer :cheer

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much ladies! I'm actually made another one of these last night in chenille (sp) for a friend and remembered how much I love this pattern.

I created this pattern with the intention that they would make lovely/stylish chemo caps with a vintage-ish look.

Glad you like 'em! :D I can't wait to see how yours turn out! I'll post mine too as soon as I can get them uploaded. :photo

Cheers,

Bec

• 9 months later...

Archived